It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: big shakeup in the draft today
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:06 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Vikes send Cpep to Miami for a 2nd. Brees and NO closing in on a long term contract. will there be a ripple effect?

Leinart, Young, and Cutler will all drop. you could have Leinart gone at 3, Young on the board at 7 and Culter on the board at 10 to Arizona or 13 to Baltimore.

does this open up a chance that a player drops to us? better yet does it open up the chance that a non QB is taken higher now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:09 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

does this open up a chance that a player drops to us?

No. As you mentioned three QBs will drop meaning 3 players of other positions will rise, maybe players we were hoping at being there at #15 no wont be.

This is not really good for us, but I'm not all huffy puffy we will get a awsome player at #15 no matter whose stock rises or falls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:25 pm 

Ya know I never really thought that Williams or any of corners we've talked about would be around for the Falcon's pick. I still think Atlanta should trade down and try and get at least an extra 3rd round pick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:34 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

- Here's what I found...

Todd McShay: That's the big buzz around here right now. Pasquarelli is reporting that Culpepper goes to Miami for a 2nd round pick. That has a couple of implications as it pertains to the draft picture...

Todd McShay: For starters, it gives Minnesota a need for a need for a QB. It also gives N.O. leverage as it pertains to the Drew Brees negotiation.

Todd McShay: If Brees winds up signing with N.O., it could lead to a slide for the top QB's in this year's draft class...

Todd McShay: If Houston goes with Bush No. 1 and if N.O. already has Brees in house, Tennessee could be the first team to draft a QB. Best case for the QB's could be Leinart to Tennessee at No. 3, Young to the Jets at No. 4 and then Cutler to the Cardinals at No. 10. Worst case, however, is that Leinart goes third but the Jets go with OT Ferguson with the fourth pick. It could lead to Young slipping to the Raiders at No. 7 or the Cardinals at No. 10. It also could lead to Cutler falling to Minnesota at 17... Stay tuned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:04 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I'm not sure how much this changes things. Brees going to NO, means they won't draft a QB. But the Titans, Jets, and Raiders are all still looking at guys.

They are saying now that the Saints are going to get Mario Williams, which is not going to be good for anybody. I would think D'Brickashaw Ferguson would be their primary target, but either way, the Saints are going to be a much better team in '06 no matter who they get. They may trade down now so they can get someone like A.J. Hawk who is of their greatest need.

You might see the Jets and Titans now jostling for Leinart. If not, then the Titans or Raiders will happily settle on Vince Young, or Cutler. I don't think you're going to see someone drop that far. The Ravens (#13), Chiefs (#20), Vikings (#17), and even Cowboys (#18) all could go after one of them.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:17 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I find it interesting that many of the teams at the top of the draft are locking up QBs. NO getting Brees isn't the only one. NYJ have been talking to the Falcons about Schaub. Ramsey is also out there for the taking. However, I think this will not make a huge difference in how the draft goes down. It might make some trades more likely, but Lienart is still going to be taken 2nd overall, whether to NO as the real future QB or to some team trading up for him. It doesn't make sense that NO would take Lienart, but they might just be buying (literally) some time for him to develop seeing that Brees' contract has a team option in the second year. It does make some sense if they believe Brees might not hold up with his injury or if they believe Lienart has more potential (which seems obvious).