It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:17 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: KFFL News
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:01 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Falcons | Duckett looking to bounce back
Tue, 14 Mar 2006 16:47:37 -0800

Steve Wyche, of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, reports Atlanta Falcons RB T.J. Duckett said he hopes he gets another chance with the team to prove himself. After struggling last season, especially in the final five games, Duckett has been mentioned as a trade candidate, although it now appears that the Falcons won't move him unless irresistible compensation arises over the next few weeks. Duckett is entering the final year of his six-year, $6.2 million contract (the final year was voided by incentive clauses). "I plan on being ready," Duckett said.

Falcons | McKay scoffs at commissioner talk
Tue, 14 Mar 2006 16:46:41 -0800

Steve Wyche, of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, reports Atlanta Falcons general manager Rich McKay scoffed at suggestions of him becoming NFL commissioner in light of reports that Paul Tagliabue could be stepping down before his contract expires in two years. For years McKay has been mentioned as a possible successor to Tagliabue. "Since I was five years old I've been hearing that," McKay said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:43 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Duckett said he hopes he gets another chance with the team to prove himself, I plan on being ready

LOL, yeah this year would be different form all the others for what reason? What a bust of a first round pick.

Since I was five years old I've been hearing that LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:55 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I wouldn't call Duckett a bust, somewhat of a disappointment, but his tenure in Atlanta has not given him a ton of opportunity to shine.

He first came here in '02 and played backup to a superior running back. I don't think anyone would deny that. But unlike someone like McGahee and McAllister had with HEnry and Ricky, a new coaching staff came in didn't ship off the starter, but rather installed an offense and had a front office that was more geared towards the incumbent's style.

Last month of the season aside, if you project Duckett's totals in the first 22 games in KNapp's system over 16 games of getting 20 touches per game, his numbers would be over 1400 yards, 4.5 average per carry, and 23 TDs.

Duckett would be a 1000-yard running back on any NFL team if he was the starter.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:20 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I guess to me, a former 1st round pick shouldn't be struggling to stay on the roster. I see your point about the system favoring Dunn. I says he's had plenty of chances to increase his stock, and really hasn't done much but be a inside the 5 battering ram. I think the thing that gets me the most, is for a back his size, he does tend to go down rather easily upon contact. Look at someone like Bettis, who even at his age, appeared to have much more of a surge through the line than a younger Duckett.

If we fill the need of either safety or de through f.a., then I'd love to draft Dunn's replacement this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:22 pm 

Widetrak you are right. Duckett is the biggest RB in the NFL, but he's not the most powerful. WHen you look at how hard Bettis runs on each carry, or even think back to Jamal or Ironhead with the Falcons, DUckett is not in the same league.

He's inconsistent. Sometimes he looks awesome on some of those runs. Other times, it's just like, WTF!

I think had Reeves not been fired following '03, you would have seen Duckett replace Dunn as the starter in 2004 or 2005 at the latest. I'm with you in that Duckett shoudl be playing better, but I also think it's difficult to label players busts when the situation they find themselves in doesn't help them shine.

If Duckett were to go to some other place like a Pittsburgh or New England, I believe he would immediately erase notions of him being a bust. Just like I think Joey Harrington may now be entering a situation in Detroit where he is put in a better position to shine.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:18 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Pudge wrote:
Widetrak you are right. Duckett is the biggest RB in the NFL, but he's not the most powerful. WHen you look at how hard Bettis runs on each carry, or even think back to Jamal or Ironhead with the Falcons, DUckett is not in the same league.

He's inconsistent. Sometimes he looks awesome on some of those runs. Other times, it's just like, WTF!

I think had Reeves not been fired following '03, you would have seen Duckett replace Dunn as the starter in 2004 or 2005 at the latest. I'm with you in that Duckett shoudl be playing better, but I also think it's difficult to label players busts when the situation they find themselves in doesn't help them shine.

If Duckett were to go to some other place like a Pittsburgh or New England, I believe he would immediately erase notions of him being a bust. Just like I think Joey Harrington may now be entering a situation in Detroit where he is put in a better position to shine.

When Duckett is playing well, he is unstoppable. However, I do have to say that I disagee in comparing Duckett to Harrington. Harrington has had like 4 seasons now to prove himself. He has 3 #1 draft pick WRs, plus he had Az Hakim, who proved to be a viable weapon with STL. I can say that in my opinion, Harrington will never pan out. However, I do agree that in another situation, Duckett could be a good player, and probably even a 1000 yard rusher. Only problem is that in the games that Dunn was injured and Duckett was the feature back, he never put up the kind of numbers that you'd expect from a "star" running back.