It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jeff Garcia?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:21 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

The Browns have indicated they are going to release Garcia. He was a name that I know I definitely mentioned numerous times last year to be brought in to backup Vick. I think Garcia is still a quality starter in this league, but unfortunately injuries, inconsistency have hurt him the past two years. I also felt he wasn't a great fit for Cleveland's offense and he lacked the weapons and blocking up front to really be utilized well.

I know its doubtful Garcia will welcome a reserve job here in Atlanta with absolutely no upward mobility (meaning he won't get the chance to compete for a starting job), but I think the Falcons should at least query him.

I think Garcia eventually will end up in Detroit, where he will rejoin Mooch and compete with Harrington, but I think if the Lions do decide to pass on him, the Falcons should pursue.

I'm really skeptical of Vick's ability to stay healthy for an entire year. I'm also very skeptical of Matt Schaub's ability to lead this team to success. Schaub is not a bad QB, but from his performance this past year and the unlikelihood that he's going to improve astronomically in one off-season, I really don't think he's ready to be a more consistent winner than what we saw from Kittner and DJ in 2003. If Schaub started 16 games this upcoming season, I would really be surprised if this team won 5 or more games. It would really be a testament to Schaub, our running game, and our defense if that feat was accomplished.

That's why I'm really for us adding a veteran backup QB this off-season, that has a somewhat semi-proven record for success. I'm not looking for a guy that is going to cost $2M/yr. like say a Bledsoe or Warner, or whatever, but a guy that has tons of starting experience and has had some semblance of success. I like Tony Banks as of now. He's 21-14 as a starter since leaving St. Louis, meaning he knows how to come off the bench and win football games. If Banks started for this team next year for 16 games, I would expect this team to finish 7-9 or so. Not exactly division title success, but I think he puts us in a much better position than Schaub to be in the wildcard hunt.

But I just want to throw Garcia's name out there. I figure there is a very minimal chance he winds up in Atlanta (the salary alone would likely prevent it), but I think he's exactly the type of player we need to be signing here.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: I would not mind it
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:57 am 

Having Garcia a proven player for a minimal contract would help since Schaub did not show alot in the reg season but can you blame him with the shoddy play of the off line not giving the QB's time to pass.Maybe Vick could learn something from Garcia in passing to spots before the receiver gets there instead when the receiver gets open.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:17 am 

I don't want to sound like I'm bashing Schaub or anything, but if history managed to repeat itself and Vick missed serious time this upcoming season, I don't think Schaub (at this point) is any better than Doug Johnson or Kurt Kittner. In time, I believe Schaub will be better.

But I really think this team should invest in a quality backup quarterback. I suspect the team will let Ty Detmer fade off into retirement, and he'll probably get a coaching job somewhere (maybe even here). Then I suspect the team will try to a street/undrafted free agent or someone low key to come in and compete for the #3 job.

If it's a veteran free agent, we may see names like Rick Mirer or Mike McMahon since both have experience in a similar offense. But basically I suspect McKay will only do light cosmetics to the QB spot this off-season, rather entrusting this team's fate in faith of Michael Vick staying healthy, something as I mentioned earlier, I don't have very much faith in.

It's one of those situations at least in my mind that the fact that he stayed relatively healthy this year only makes him more likely to suffer an injury next year.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:32 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

sorry guys but i see no way that he will be in atl
he will have a much better chance of playin for another team
DET or Miami so i dont think he will come here
yes i would be a plus but i also think he will want more than just min money to play here

if we can get him for that welcome aboard jeff

but i think we wil still be as we where last yr

Profile E-mail