It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Roddy's Wisdom Part 2
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:03 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2012/4/12/ ... -analogies

Yeah, keep sticking up for this douche bag. You can love what brings to the football field, but don't tell me I shouldn't call this guy an ignorant douche when that is exactly what he is. He's just an ignorant douche that is good at catching a football. Hey, at least he's a multi-dimensional douche...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Roddy's Wisdom Part 2
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:18 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I don't keep up with players off the field unless arrested. If he's having fun tweeting let him have fun. You can call
him whatever you want. I'm sure he deserves it, then again I don't want to know how to tweet. Or read them!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:37 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I tend to think that anyone who feels the need to Tweet their every thought to the world at large probably has d-bag disorder. I guess it could be said that a message board is only different by degree. Because a man can run fast or catch objects moving through the air while doing so really doesn't mean much more than he can run fast and catch objects moving through the air. The world might also like to take note that despite the fact that homosexuality is the cause celebre of the moment there are millions of people who are not impressed by it. Roddy can say or think whatever he likes as free speech is one of the true liberties we have somehow been able to retain as we slowly give away the others here. You also have the liberty to be a complete jack assed teeny bopper and get into a war of owrds with every other loser who responds to the drivel on your Twitter account if you like. Personally, I'm more repelled by fake ass PC revisionism and stuff like this reported as "news" than I am his POV....which is, at the end of the day, nothing more or less than the point of view of a guy who can run fast and catch things. Go down to the local transmission shop and ask that guy what he thinks about American Idol and print that. Jesus...the whole country is ODing on stupid pills.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:50 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
Roddy can say or think whatever he likes as free speech is one of the true liberties we have somehow been able to retain as we slowly give away the others here.

Don't look now, but that "freedom" has been going away as well. God forbid if you hurt anyone's feeling's now a days...you can get fired, sued, shot or all of the above.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:49 am 
Superstar
Superstar

He's still my favorite Falcon ever and probably top three athletes all time for me. He may be a nut job but we all have that one guy that we love that's a nut job.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:34 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

AngryJohnny51 wrote:
Quote:
Roddy can say or think whatever he likes as free speech is one of the true liberties we have somehow been able to retain as we slowly give away the others here.

Don't look now, but that "freedom" has been going away as well. God forbid if you hurt anyone's feeling's now a days...you can get fired, sued, shot or all of the above.

Everything has a price afixed but you make a good point. You can always get fired and shot but successful suit is the most troubling, I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:49 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Well, I've been reading that Roddy scored a 4 on his wonderlic test. That may explain a lot....especially when you get two points for spelling your name correctly!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:26 pm 

I love how people try to make this a freedom of speech issue. That's a crock if I've heard one. I love how people try to use the 1st Amendment as a shield for ignorance. :roll:

The interesting thing to me about what you refer to as the "cause celebre" is that 15-20 years from now, people are going to look back and realize how wrong/ignorant/prejudiced/bigoted they were during this time will be laughed at and ridiculed.

My general rule is that if you at any point have to delete a tweet or apologize for tweets, you probably shouldn't be on twitter.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:36 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
I love how people try to make this a freedom of speech issue. That's a crock if I've heard one. I love how people try to use the 1st Amendment as a shield for ignorance. :roll:

The interesting thing to me about what you refer to as the "cause celebre" is that 15-20 years from now, people are going to look back and realize how wrong/ignorant/prejudiced/bigoted they were during this time will be laughed at and ridiculed.

My general rule is that if you at any point have to delete a tweet or apologize for tweets, you probably shouldn't be on twitter.

Tell Chris Brown that.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:40 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

backnblack wrote:
AngryJohnny51 wrote:
Quote:

Everything has a price afixed but you make a good point. You can always get fired and shot but successful suit is the most troubling, I guess.

As my old conracts prof Ed Wilson used to say, "You can sue the Bishop of Boston for bastardy, but can you win." Recent events excepted, the underlying thought still applies.

We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. We forge our tradition in the spirit of our ancestors. You have our gratitude.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:24 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Pudge wrote:

And I will defend someone's right to laugh at and ridicule an ignorant bigot. No one is trying to make the 1st Amendment a "shield for ignorance." That, Pudge, is a crock. It has nothing to do with what a person does or doesn't know...it's about one's ability to say what they think no matter how backward or unfashionable it may be. Fairly unique right to our country and a few others. As they say, let an ass bray in the town center so everyone knows he's an ass. I think everyone who tweets pretty much deserves to be on Twitter. Deserve's got everything to do with it! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:35 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

@M_Ryan02 Yum! Sure like this mayo. Miracle Whip is good too, tho, no fighting!.

@M_Ryan02 Was going to go golfing today, but weather channel says 'overcast'. Brr!

@M_Ryan02 Reviewing the playbook, shortening the deep routes before anyone else sees it.

@M_Ryan02 Starbucks, when I ask for half-caf, I want half-caf. Get it right.

@M_Ryan02 To kids on Twitter, stretch your mind and take the time.. no abbreviations on typing!

@M_Ryan02 Agent called, can't renegotiate, can't find endorsements, but Howdy Doody 2013 is in the works!

@M_Ryan02 Not going to practice rollouts with neighbor kids anymore. They're mean.

@M_Ryan02 All done with playbook, memorized and filed. Now what will I read.. no more Harry Potter?

@M_Ryan02 Love that Wonderlic, why can't I take it again? #whiteqbproblems

Classic satire from the Roost. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:01 pm 

backnblack wrote:
Pudge wrote:

And I will defend someone's right to laugh at and ridicule an ignorant bigot. No one is trying to make the 1st Amendment a "shield for ignorance." That, Pudge, is a crock. It has nothing to do with what a person does or doesn't know...it's about one's ability to say what they think no matter how backward or unfashionable it may be. Fairly unique right to our country and a few others. As they say, let an ass bray in the town center so everyone knows he's an ass. I think everyone who tweets pretty much deserves to be on Twitter. Deserve's got everything to do with it! :lol:

But this isn't about rights. There's a difference between whether you have the right to do something and whether you should do it. You have the right to be conceive a child, but that doesn't mean that most people in this world are emotionally equipped to be responsible parents.

It's not about being PC, it's about being ignorant. That's exactly what Roddy was being with the implications of his tweets. Although the 1st amendment protects you and basically people can say whatever they want to say because of it, but that doesn't mean a person shouldn't be called out for being ignorant, which Roddy was. Just like if you're a bad dad, the government shouldn't be able to swoop and take away your kids, but if you're a s***ty father, people should be able to call you out for your shortcomings as a parent, irregardless of the legality of the issue. Just because you have the right to raise your kids the way you think they should be raised doesn't always mean that you should get away with being a terrible parent just because you have the right to be so.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:17 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Uh, did I say otherwise? The intolerance of intolerance is always amusing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:45 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

BnB - your version of satire and mine are in different universe. I can see the inbred humor from those "jokes." :down: They blow rhino wang

We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. We forge our tradition in the spirit of our ancestors. You have our gratitude.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:58 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Wease wrote:
BnB - your version of satire and mine are in different universe. I can see the inbred humor from those "jokes." :down: They blow rhino wang

I'm not actually the author and I guess "your" (sorry--had to do it) a rhinophobe now! :evil: The whole notion of Twitter--especially in the hands of celebrity athletes-- and "followers" is pretty funny to me. But what do I know? I can't help the fact that I'm sexually attracted to my cousins and we have dozens of children. Turn back the night, Wease!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:56 am 
Superstar
Superstar

backnblack wrote:
Wease wrote:

I'm not actually the author and I guess "your" (sorry--had to do it) a rhinophobe now! :evil: The whole notion of Twitter--especially in the hands of celebrity athletes-- and "followers" is pretty funny to me. But what do I know? I can't help the fact that I'm sexually attracted to my cousins and we have dozens of children. Turn back the night, Wease!

LOL Did not think you were the author. Your humor is much better than the crap that was there.

Most "celebrity" twitter feeds are their own unwitting self parodies. The stuff above was just weak sauce.

The inbreds are on the other site....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:08 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Wease wrote:
backnblack wrote:
Wease wrote:

LOL Did not think you were the author. Your humor is much better than the crap that was there.

Most "celebrity" twitter feeds are their own unwitting self parodies. The stuff above was just weak sauce.

The inbreds are on the other site....

A little context is what I generally find amusing. Ironically, there are a couple of "out" gays at the Roost that get along just fine with everyone and also responded in a thread regarding this Twitter. And you are dead on...about the "unwitting self parodies." Well stated! What is funny about the Ryan tweets is that they simulataneously parody both Ryan and the way he is percieved as well as tweeting in general. Furthermore, here at FalcFans Roddy is taken to task for his juvenile response to a juvenile exchange (I would guess his sparring partner was probably in the 14-19 range) by using a gif of a hand air wanking. We alleged adults are here at a forum focused on pro football (and the worship of it) hanging on the words of some purported dumb jock (can I say the J-word?) and his insensitive reply to a Twitter follower. And the charade must follow--the retraction, the apology, the visit to Oprah's couch. While Rome burns we focus on what someone said about Romney's wife and how it disparages motherhood and all women or what Roddy White said and how this is not cutting edge progressive social behavior in 2012 America. As Elvis Costello (infamous for non-PC commentary about Ray Charles who, by the way, had more talent in his left nut than EC, though a remarkable talent, had through his whole body) once sang, "I used to be disgusted but now I try to stay amused."

To Pudge's original point that this isn';t a free speech issue...well, it is not completely a free speech issue but that is an aspect of it. No matter how repellent one may find Roiddy White..or Fred Phelps...we have a society and the technology for them to let it fly. The lunatics run the asylum now and th elunatics can pay the price. There's how things shopuld be and how they are. there is aplace for the Don Qioutes of the world and the Roddy Whites. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:13 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

The only person Roddy is hurting with stupid tweets like this, is himself. One day the big paychecks are gonna stop and when he goes to work elsewhere these words will come back to haunt him.

At the same time, I don't think Roddy is a bad guy or is looking to hurt anyones feelings. I really think he is just dumb and narcissistic.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:45 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

DaveWaz wrote:
The only person Roddy is hurting with stupid tweets like this, is himself. One day the big paychecks are gonna stop and when he goes to work elsewhere these words will come back to haunt him.

At the same time, I don't think Roddy is a bad guy or is looking to hurt anyones feelings. I really think he is just dumb and narcissistic.

I somewhat disagree, DW. Roddy just has not 'learned his lesson'. How many 'Twissues' has he had already? Today, it's an offhanded 'gay' commented, what about tommorrow? Just another 'distraction'.

That being said, this whole PC thing is really going too far. I've been studying and trying stand up comedy for about 2 years now, having earned an opening slot on a local performing troupe. Go and ask the big guys how PC is slowly destroying thier craft. In Feb I did an opening slot for Tom Papa and talked to him about this, and even this guy ( who works pretty clean ) can see the oncoming problem. Im not trying to say Roddy is 'funny' but lots of people try, and fail. And trust me when I say this: failing in standup is the most humiliating experience outside of prison rape. (oops?) It is damn hard enough without the added worries of pissing off some 'special interest group'..Hell it has even made its way into improv comedy, which by definition is wrong: you cannot improvise while worrying if your last line is going to get the whole operation shut down.

Freedom of Speech was directly intended to protect unpopular speech. Micheal Richards had every right to do and say what he said, and look at the price he paid: his career in stand up is officially over. There is a great episode about this on South Park: In encourage y'all to watch it. These guys 'get it'.

No one is saying Roddy shouldn't tweet, but it's only a matter of time before it blows up on him. 50 years from now, he might not have the ability to 'offend' someone. If you need to see how this works out: look at Canada. Go talk to a Canadian comic or public persona. Its not pretty.

:ninja:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:06 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The hypocrisy is generally inevitable if you look hard enough...it's OK to mock this but not that....oh wait, this just in--it's now OK to mock that and not this! Though words are powerful and can mold thought in some ways they fall waaaay behind deeds. In many ways our culture has evolved and is more open minded but in others--not so much. Stand up comedy always seemed like something you would be sentenced to for burning a church or killing a baby. Good luck with it. Yikes!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:09 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

backnblack wrote:
The hypocrisy is generally inevitable if you look hard enough...it's OK to mock this but not that....oh wait, this just in--it's now OK to mock that and not this! Though words are powerful and can mold thought in some ways they fall waaaay behind deeds. In many ways our culture has evolved and is more open minded but in others--not so much. Stand up comedy always seemed like something you would be sentenced to for burning a church or killing a baby. Good luck with it. Yikes!!!!

It is, without a doubt, the most frightening and exhilarating experience in the 'performing' world. Unless you are a prop comic, or a 'musical parody act' ( which Ive done in the past) it truly is just you and a mic. No 'partners' to play with like in Improv. No musical instruments to 'hide behind'. Truth be told, I havent had as much luck as with some of my other talents, but Im plugging away. I dont expect to 'make it', but I wanted to see if I could pull it off. Working your way up is much the same as radio or rock n roll. In the beggining, you get all the sh*tty slots at the open mics, or paired up with losers, or have to work the board on weekends and holidays, etc... Alot of worse comics get tony slots due to who they know or how many people they bring out. Sometimes chicks with a nice rack will get more stage time even if she's not as 'funny'. But, if you can get on a roll and remember all the material, and do a little 'crowd work' and do it right, its AWESOME.

The opening gig for Papa was in Birmingham, for free, in a truly awful place. No per diem, no room, just a 'shot'. I ate my balls. I did the same 6 minutes, the exact same 6 minutes 3 days before and it killed. Its very wierd. I do think that guys like you and me who cut our teeth in bands and such have a leg up on getting in front of a crowd. As bad as I am, there are much worse then me, people who arent familiar with performing. Yet they come out week after week and give it a go. Its is brave and stupid at the same time.

But Papa and guys like him are expected to 'push the envelope'...And you should hear how they talk about doing this in Canada: the restrictions on what is 'considered' funny or not, they whole shebang. Canadian comics would get on a raft to get here, its so bad. It truly is a great example of good intentions going badly. Remember SCTV's ' Great White North' parodies? Forbidden veiwing on public TV up there, even though its' what 40 years old and not that funny?

Lisa Lamanelli said Trump put up more worthless hotels then an Autistic kid playing Monopoly. I laughed my ass off and my wife looked at me like I was the biggest POS for even thinking it was 'funny'. Im sorry, it 'was'. That was a cold night, and a reminder to not let her watch certain comedy with me again 8-)

But the thing with Roddy is what happens when he crosses the line and says something awful? How about some other player that he jaws with gets paralysed and this dumbass goes on Twitter and says 'serves him right'. Think that is out of the question? I dont. Then what happens? OUTRAGE!

The commish gets involved. Suspension and fines follow. We lose an important player for some stupid sh*t. That's what worries me.

But you cant tell a grown man not to do it. He's got to leanr for himself.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:33 pm 

Comparing stand up comedy to twitter is wrong. A LOT of comics will tell how much they hate twitter.

In a comedy club or a theater, there are certain things you can get away with saying because of the context upon which you find you in. People give you a bit more leeway there because they expect you to be a bit more crass there.

On twitter, there is no indicator of when you are being facetious or being serious besides an emoticon or a #jk hashtag.

THere's no hyprocisy here. Tracy Morgan can't (or rather shouldn't) say what he said about gays during a bit because he works for a network that has sponsors. Some no name comic from Kansas City could potentially get away with that stuff because there is corporation that has millions of dollars invested in him. Therefore any controversy no name KC comic creates is quickly forgotten, but if Morgan offends some people with what is perceived as hateful comments, people could potentially start to picket NBC.

Please, don't trump Michael Richards woe is me card. He did a poor job handling a heckler, and instead of ripping the dude for being a pompous jackass, he decided to go racial, which I don't know if people got the memo, is a very, very sensitive topic in this country.

Yes, I agree with folks that political correctness often goes too far. But let's not forget the PC comes from a good place. Because it's coming away from a place/time where this country use to sanction oppression/genocide.

Everybody can't say everything. A HS history can't start swearing up a storm talking about reality tv to his students while he's supposed to be talking about the War of 1812. The President shouldn't be able to say the things that I or you can get away with saying.

IMHO, the problem here isn't political correctness, it's the fact that in this new 24-hour news/social media culture is that there is really no filter for people anymore. Now idiots like Roddy can share their idiotic social commentary with thousands/millions of people. Roddy catches footballs for a living, stick to that.

But Dave is right. Roddy is dumb, narcissistic, and immature. But it seemed like Dave was somewhat apologizing for him for being that, and that to me is the more interesting thing about this issue than any so-called hypocrisy and PC going crazy. If this is your lightning rod for that, then I think you're barking up the wrong tree.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:58 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
Comparing stand up comedy to twitter is wrong. A LOT of comics will tell how much they hate twitter.

In a comedy club or a theater, there are certain things you can get away with saying because of the context upon which you find you in. People give you a bit more leeway there because they expect you to be a bit more crass there.

On twitter, there is no indicator of when you are being facetious or being serious besides an emoticon or a #jk hashtag.

THere's no hyprocisy here. .. But let's not forget the PC comes from a good place. Because it's coming away from a place/time where this country use to sanction oppression/genocide.

Everybody can't say everything..

Your wrong Pudge. Dreadfully wrong.

First, I dont know which comics you have been talking to, but ALL the ones I know use that and FB...ALL of them . CK Louis does with sarcasm. Ricky Gervais LOVES torturing Christians. All of them use it to promote ( I only use FB ). Even the KC Comic does, too. Trust me.

Secondly, 'good place' is 'subjective'. The problem is not 'correctness' it is POLITICAL correctness. Look at it this way: Archie Bunker's All in the Family was the groundbreaking primetime comedy in it's day. One of his usual foils was 'Polacks' , or Polish folks. I cant tell you the last time I even heard one of those 'jokes'. It has fallen out of form, even in truly Polish dominated citied like Cleveland, in Wisc, etc. No one 'laughs' at Polack jokes anymore. It did not fall out of vogue due to PC. ..There are now 63 more million people to make fun of since it's hey day in the 70's.

Does that mean no one tells 'Polack' jokes anymore? No. But, it's not there and it was not POLITICAL 'correctness' that caused that to change.

One the most hilarious shows on TV now is 'Modern Family' on the squeeky clean ABC. They are following in Bunker's past by skewing the PC cows of today's world: They have a Gay couple who adopted a chinese baby, Al Bundy marries a trophy-wife latina, and thier other child is an anal rententive bitch. In short, they are EDGY. It is brave.

I cant believe people on Twitter cant 'understand' satire. Horsesh*t. You mean to tell me when some comic 'Tweets' about the Coachella Concert where a hologrammed Tupac appears with Snoop, that a hologrammed Biggie should show up and shoot him that someone takes that seriously? Guess what: they do. And THAT my friend is the problem.

Political Correctness throughout history has caused more harm then it ever did good. So much tragedy results from 'popular opinion' whether a conedy club or a social network. Once you buy into the idea 'it comes from a 'good place' your 2 steps away from Godwins Law.

Poltical Correctness is a dibiltating disorder. It hurts more then helps. It should be avoided at all costs, lest we repeat the horrors of history.

Not trying to be condescending, because you are a really smart, and pgilisophically sound guy...But when you get a little older you are going to see this as a Universal Truth. Thje road to hell is paved with 'good intentions'. :ninja:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:22 pm 

Yes, every comic uses twitter, because of the function/forum it allows, but that doesn't mean they like it. A lot of people use city buses, but how many people in the world actually like it?

Using this Roddy White twitter thing as a lightning rod for when PC goes too far is a joke. Because at the end of the day you have Roddy White making a terrible analogy. When PC goes too far, it's when you're not allowed to make a joke because someone might possibly get offended. That's not what Roddy was doing, and if he was then he was doing it poorly. And that's something that you have to understand about twitter, if you're going to make a controversial jibe at someone you better make it very clear that you're doing so with some sort of hashtag or you better be a position where people are going to give you some leeway (such as a comedian), otherwise then you better be aware of the consequences.

I listen to the Nerdist Podcast which is hosted by a comedian named Chris Hardwick (yes, formerly the host of MTV's Singled Out for everyone between the ages of 25-35), and the vast majority of the guests he has on there are fellow comics and comedians. And on that show you'll hear people talking about how they dislike twitter because it's a poor medium, but they will also admit that it's very useful, but not their cup of tea. And you'll also hear a lot of them talk about the PC issue, including one Tom Papa who was on the podcast in the past month, talking about how you can't be allowed to be offensive anymore.

And for them talking about that, I get that. Comedy is one of the last bastions of where you can be non-PC, and slowly and surely they are chipping away at that. And for them, I'm 100% behind those guys. But to make the leap from Roddy White's comments on twitter to what they are talking about as being part of the same spectrum is a huge, and frankly asinine leap.

Roddy White's comments imply that sexual orientation is a choice, which is first of all ignorant, but a still pervasive myth that exists today that IMHO is generated from hate. And they also imply that one choice is superior to the other, which is really nothing more than being hateful. Now 15-20 years from now, I believe those myths will largely be debunked, and most people will understand that gays are people too, and that they should be treated with the same respect that you should treat any other human being.

Now if Roddy was hinting at how the world is largely unaccepting of homosexuality, and therefore it's better to be heterosexual because the world treats you better, then that is a different thing. But you have to be very careful if you're broaching such a topic, especially on twitter where it's hard to take on such a controversial and heavy-hitting topic in 140 characters. But taking on such an issue probably also requires a depth that I don't think anybody here honestly believes Roddy White possesses.

Take for example, Rashard Mendenhall who got a ton of flack for his comments following Osama bin Laden's death. Mendenhall was very clear with what his point was in that the celebration of the death of any human being regardless of your judgment of his/her life is not good. Now I don't agree with Mendenhall's view, but I get what he was saying, and he certainly has a right to hold his opinion and to express that according to the 1st Amendment. But the 1st Amendment essentially protects the act of speaking, but it is not protecting and give value to the actual words you are speaking. And I think in this case of Roddy WHite, that is being forgotten, and often is when people start talking about the 1st Amendment and trying to use it as a shield.

And this is probably an equally controversial thing to say, and I'm not accusing anybody at this forum for being/doing this, but sometimes I think people pounding the table against "The PC Takeover" really is just some white male being upset that he can't get away with the racist/sexist s*** he used to be able to say back when this country was sanctioning racism/sexism. That's what I mean political correctness comes from a good place. What people often forget is that the difference between racism and racial prejudice, is that racism is institutionalized racial prejudice where holding such beliefs is essentially rewarded. And I think in some cases, people still hold these beliefs and some of them are upset with the PC craze/takeover because 20-30 years ago they could have gotten away with it because it was allowed.

So I don't defend Michael Richards because he forgot that slavery was sanctioned in this country for 245 years, and then institutionalized racism was then further sanctioned in most of this country for the next 104 years, and a certain word if used by a person of a certain skin persuasion rubs some people the wrong way because use of that word by someone of that persuasion epitomizes 349 years of this country's history that isn't particularly positive.

It's why IINM Neo-Nazism is outlawed in Germany. No good will come from it, and sometimes the government might have to step on your civil liberties from time to time to protect the greater good. Sure, it can be a slippery slope a lot of the times, but sometimes it's not, it's a pretty clear slope that you're better off without it.

Like I've heard on the Nerdist Chris Hardwick say things like "Be offended by everything or nothing at all." And I get the sentiment, but don't agree with the statement. In college, I would tell my white friends that if they were going to tell me a racist joke, they better have good timing otherwise I might punch them in the face. Thus, there are consequences of being "edgy."

But I'm not going to apologize for being a little thin-skinned when 350 years of slavery comes into play, or 2,000 years of Anti-Semitism, or 100,000 years of homophobia or what not. I think there can be a thin line between what's funny and what's offensive. And if you don't know how to toe that line, then you don't get a pass because there's too much political correctness out there. I personally, don't really like Lisa Lampenelli all that much. Not to say she's not funny, and if you like her, then that's your prerogative. But I can take about 10 or so minutes of her set and then I have to turn the channel or tune her out. It's the same with Ricky Gervais. I watched his HBO special a few years back and didn't make it beyond 20 minutes because all he was talking about was fat people. And for me personally, after a certain point it goes from being edgy to just being mean especially coming from a man who was once husky.

For example, my experience is that most groups of male friends have one member in particular that tends to be the butt of most of the jokes. And for the most part it's chalked up to "ball busting" and it comes from a place of friendship and love. And that's fine, but if one of your friends is making fun of him for an extended period of time, it starts to cross a line of busting a guys balls to just being an asshole. And that's what it means to be "edgy" because it's about toeing that line of that goes from one to the other.

And if you're in the business of making people laugh, you get some leeway. If you're in the business of catching touchdowns, you're not going to get that much leeway, and IMHO do not deserve it. Just like if you're a friend of mine, you can bust my balls and I'll take with a smile and a chuckle. But if you're a complete stranger, them be fightin' words!

Profile E-mail