It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Roddy's Wisdom Part 2
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:23 pm 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:12 pm
Posts: 6161
Location: Planet Claire
Tracy Morgan is supposed to be funny? Wow. I've never seen or heard him do anything remotely funny. :shock:

Read your longer manifesto after posting, Pudge. If "racial humor" were outlawed there would be one hell of a lot of AA comedians out of work. What you are basically saying is there are separate but unequal rules but they are new and improved separate but unequal rules so that makes them better. Somehow in the crazy world of humor it's OK to make light of a girl--a specific girl, no less--going to the prom with a football star after semi-recovering from leukemia but it isn't OK to make some vague and sweeping homophobic remark? Humor is really very much of a time. You go back a couple of decades and stuff that seemed pretty funny just isn't any more. Andrew Dice Clay who--to me--was never really funny used to sell out football arenas, for Christ's sake.

You make a lot of suppositions that I think are your opinions albeit maybe informed ones. All gay people are "born gay?" I would suspect that their reasons for being gay are across the board. No doubt, there are those people that just seem like, for example, women trapped in men's bodies, but I don't think 100% of the gay people are any one thing...just like any other group. Look, you're never going to come out looking bad doing the respect all people mantra, we are all God's children, etc. But reality doesn't dovetail with that. There are people who think the Bible is a literal description of history, there are people who think it is parables , there are people who think it is a mix and people who think it is hogwash. The fact is the first group and last group are going to have real differences of opinion and they may not really "respect" the others' opinion. They actually can't. But they are supposed to pretend?

Anyway, genie's out of the lamp and just as you say in 15 years people are going to laugh at attitudes about homosexuals now there will be laughing about a lot of the poseur behavior of the present regarding PC. Emporeror's New Clothes.

_________________
Image


Last edited by backnblack on Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Roddy's Wisdom Part 2
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:05 pm 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 4947
Pudge wrote:
Yes, every comic uses twitter, because of the function/forum it allows, but that doesn't mean they like it. A lot of people use city buses, but how many people in the world actually like it?

Using this Roddy White twitter thing as a lightning rod for when PC goes too far is a joke. Because at the end of the day you have Roddy White making a terrible analogy. When PC goes too far, it's when you're not allowed to make a joke because someone might possibly get offended. That's not what Roddy was doing, and if he was then he was doing it poorly. And that's something that you have to understand about twitter, if you're going to make a controversial jibe at someone you better make it very clear that you're doing so with some sort of hashtag or you better be a position where people are going to give you some leeway (such as a comedian), otherwise then you better be aware of the consequences.

I listen to the Nerdist Podcast which is hosted by a comedian named Chris Hardwick (yes, formerly the host of MTV's Singled Out for everyone between the ages of 25-35), and the vast majority of the guests he has on there are fellow comics and comedians. And on that show you'll hear people talking about how they dislike twitter because it's a poor medium, but they will also admit that it's very useful, but not their cup of tea. And you'll also hear a lot of them talk about the PC issue, including one Tom Papa who was on the podcast in the past month, talking about how you can't be allowed to be offensive anymore.

And for them talking about that, I get that. Comedy is one of the last bastions of where you can be non-PC, and slowly and surely they are chipping away at that. And for them, I'm 100% behind those guys. But to make the leap from Roddy White's comments on twitter to what they are talking about as being part of the same spectrum is a huge, and frankly asinine leap.

Roddy White's comments imply that sexual orientation is a choice, which is first of all ignorant, but a still pervasive myth that exists today that IMHO is generated from hate. And they also imply that one choice is superior to the other, which is really nothing more than being hateful. Now 15-20 years from now, I believe those myths will largely be debunked, and most people will understand that gays are people too, and that they should be treated with the same respect that you should treat any other human being.

Now if Roddy was hinting at how the world is largely unaccepting of homosexuality, and therefore it's better to be heterosexual because the world treats you better, then that is a different thing. But you have to be very careful if you're broaching such a topic, especially on twitter where it's hard to take on such a controversial and heavy-hitting topic in 140 characters. But taking on such an issue probably also requires a depth that I don't think anybody here honestly believes Roddy White possesses.

Take for example, Rashard Mendenhall who got a ton of flack for his comments following Osama bin Laden's death. Mendenhall was very clear with what his point was in that the celebration of the death of any human being regardless of your judgment of his/her life is not good. Now I don't agree with Mendenhall's view, but I get what he was saying, and he certainly has a right to hold his opinion and to express that according to the 1st Amendment. But the 1st Amendment essentially protects the act of speaking, but it is not protecting and give value to the actual words you are speaking. And I think in this case of Roddy WHite, that is being forgotten, and often is when people start talking about the 1st Amendment and trying to use it as a shield.

And this is probably an equally controversial thing to say, and I'm not accusing anybody at this forum for being/doing this, but sometimes I think people pounding the table against "The PC Takeover" really is just some white male being upset that he can't get away with the racist/sexist s*** he used to be able to say back when this country was sanctioning racism/sexism. That's what I mean political correctness comes from a good place. What people often forget is that the difference between racism and racial prejudice, is that racism is institutionalized racial prejudice where holding such beliefs is essentially rewarded. And I think in some cases, people still hold these beliefs and some of them are upset with the PC craze/takeover because 20-30 years ago they could have gotten away with it because it was allowed.

So I don't defend Michael Richards because he forgot that slavery was sanctioned in this country for 245 years, and then institutionalized racism was then further sanctioned in most of this country for the next 104 years, and a certain word if used by a person of a certain skin persuasion rubs some people the wrong way because use of that word by someone of that persuasion epitomizes 349 years of this country's history that isn't particularly positive.

It's why IINM Neo-Nazism is outlawed in Germany. No good will come from it, and sometimes the government might have to step on your civil liberties from time to time to protect the greater good. Sure, it can be a slippery slope a lot of the times, but sometimes it's not, it's a pretty clear slope that you're better off without it.

Like I've heard on the Nerdist Chris Hardwick say things like "Be offended by everything or nothing at all." And I get the sentiment, but don't agree with the statement. In college, I would tell my white friends that if they were going to tell me a racist joke, they better have good timing otherwise I might punch them in the face. Thus, there are consequences of being "edgy."

But I'm not going to apologize for being a little thin-skinned when 350 years of slavery comes into play, or 2,000 years of Anti-Semitism, or 100,000 years of homophobia or what not. I think there can be a thin line between what's funny and what's offensive. And if you don't know how to toe that line, then you don't get a pass because there's too much political correctness out there. I personally, don't really like Lisa Lampenelli all that much. Not to say she's not funny, and if you like her, then that's your prerogative. But I can take about 10 or so minutes of her set and then I have to turn the channel or tune her out. It's the same with Ricky Gervais. I watched his HBO special a few years back and didn't make it beyond 20 minutes because all he was talking about was fat people. And for me personally, after a certain point it goes from being edgy to just being mean especially coming from a man who was once husky.

For example, my experience is that most groups of male friends have one member in particular that tends to be the butt of most of the jokes. And for the most part it's chalked up to "ball busting" and it comes from a place of friendship and love. And that's fine, but if one of your friends is making fun of him for an extended period of time, it starts to cross a line of busting a guys balls to just being an asshole. And that's what it means to be "edgy" because it's about toeing that line of that goes from one to the other.

And if you're in the business of making people laugh, you get some leeway. If you're in the business of catching touchdowns, you're not going to get that much leeway, and IMHO do not deserve it. Just like if you're a friend of mine, you can bust my balls and I'll take with a smile and a chuckle. But if you're a complete stranger, them be fightin' words!



Pudge, I think were close to getting somewhere, it is late but I'll try to respond with candor....

Fiirst, let me make the 'Mea Culpa' every 'White Male' must now make.

Image

this last weekend I played at the French Qtr Festival in Nawlins with my NO group: a black guy, straight up Creek Injun, a Fat guy( me wearing the KIng Ding Dong shirt ) and another white dude who is straight but we all tease as gay...Even though he isnt. The person taking the picture is gay, and is the worst at teasing the 'straight guy' !

Yeah, were all 'friends', but if we tease each other in public, even if it's 'good natured' other folks might get offended, even if no 'offense' was intended.

Im sorry, that s*** sucks balls.

It just does.

But what is even worse, is the indoctrinated 'victim' mentality that permeates PC. As if some PSA or 'good touch/bad touch' program implemented is really going to [i]stop bullying.

Here's a fact. 'Bullying' will be here forever. It is 'part' of 'Human Nature'. HN cannot be undone.

Human Nature dictates that people will act in thier own best interests. Im glad you listen to some comedians podcast, but in the end people who make thier living doing this are very,very, VERY much against PC and this goes from Kat Williams to Ngonko to Big Chief Kumonahwannalayyah.

Regardless of what thier networks or promoters say.

Am I 'Big Boned?' 'Height Challenged?' We dont have starving kids here but we call the ones we can see overseas 'Food Insecure' ?!

But what we are getting at here is 'hate', right? We dont want 'hate crimes' or 'hate speech', correct?

It is itself a supreme sort of 'hate' to forbid it. Especially if translated to state or federal rule. ( Rodyy may have to submit, if his employer 'says' so, but then what kind of 'case' do we have. Do you then support Roddy's Twitterbombs?)

Political Correctness was wholly a Communist Chinese philosophy. It should not ever be promoted or encouraged.

Mr Frank once told me he would much rather see the Lion rather then it's 'handler' 'smilin in his face'. It is a saying old down here, and it means it's better to see the a$$hole then to have him working behind your back, 'pretending' to be something else. Wise words.

I will fight forever for an idiot like T Morgan. Im sorry you didnt find that joke funny, but I did. But, I also found Lampenelli funny for that one joke too.

Comedy aint pretty. Are you aware of the great 'politically incorrect' stuff done by slaves of all time? Jews? Eastern Europeans? Tibetian? ( What did the Dali Lama tell the NYC Hot Dog vendor? 'Make me one with everything' ... :roll: )UN-PC comedy often provided a salve in situations you and I could never understand.


It is truly becoming OrwelianSpeak. 'Creating Awareness' is tanamount to 'getting things done'. This is our current generations yoke. Poor bastards.


Pudge, always rail against it: it is always better to be free and offended then not free and offended. :beef:

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Roddy's Wisdom Part 2
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:49 am 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 25876
Location: North Carolina
backnblack wrote:
You make a lot of suppositions that I think are your opinions albeit maybe informed ones.

Yeah, technically they are suppositions, but they are essentially facts. Facts that will slowly and surely be accepted by the overwhelming majority of people in the coming years. As I said, a generation from now people will look back and shake their heads at our current suppositions about gay people, just like we look back a generation or two and shake our heads at how people thought about blacks, minorities, and women.

To bring this back to sports, it's been within my lifetime, that people were accepting that a black QB (Warren Moon) could be a successful QB in the NFL. And only with the success of others like Steve McNair, Donovan McNabb, etc. was that myth truly shattered. That's only been in the last decade. Think about this, Robert Griffin is the first highly-rated black QB that these background issues really haven't been an issue for.

That's progress. But there's a process to progress.


And my response to you fun gus is this. I'm not pro-PC, but I'm not also fully anti-PC. To me it has it's uses. And again I'll state, there is a difference between Lisa Lampanelli and Roddy White. If you pay $20-30 to go to a comedy club to see Ms. Lampanelli, then you've essentially waived your right to be offended. I remember seeing the film Borat years back with my brother. We saw it maybe 6-8 weeks after its release. And there was a couple sitting behind us that walked out of the theater halfway through the film. My recollection was the part of the film where he and his friend were staying in the B&B and were afraid of the Jewish couple that ran it.

You know what I say to those people, they are jackasses. You seemingly were living in a shell for 6-8 weeks either because you didn't know what you were getting yourselves into, or you didn't get the satire. Just like I weep for the black people that didn't like the film Tropic Thunder because they didn't get the satire about Hollywood that Ben Stiller was doing when he put Robert Downey Jr. in black face.

But once again, these issues are completely separate from this issue with Roddy White and his comments on twitter. They aren't in the same universe, and anybody that is using Roddy's tweets as a lightning rod for how politically correct we've gotten in our world is just as much a jackass as those people I mentioned before.

Roddy White is not a comedian. And if his comments were made in jest, then he did a poor job of conveying that. At the core of his tweet, IMHO is ignorance and hate. That's where his comment generated from in my eyes. And I think there is a difference between someone like him being able to make such comments, and a comedian in a club/theater, or a writer/director in a movie designed to make people laugh saying that might make light of homosexuals. That's the social contract we have. Comedians make us laugh. Films entertain us, teachers teach, car mechanics fix cars, wide receivers catch touchdowns, and Presidents run our country. There is no crossover there. Stay in your lane and you and the world will be better for it. Barack Obama can't say the same things that Ricky Gervais can say because he's the frickin' POTUS. So if he's going to do a Gervais bit at the next State of the Union, and people don't get the joke, then he's not a victim of PC going too far. He's a jackass.

Yes, it's harder for comedians and the like to be "edgy" because people are much more easily offended nowadays, thanks in large part to political correctness. But again, I want to stress that is a completely separate issue here than what is, and it's Roddy White's stupid tweets.

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Roddy's Wisdom Part 2
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:55 am 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 4947
Pudge wrote:
Barack Obama can't say the same things that Ricky Gervais can say because he's the frickin' POTUS. So if he's going to do a Gervais bit at the next State of the Union, and people don't get the joke, then he's not a victim of PC going too far. He's a jackass.

Yes, it's harder for comedians and the like to be "edgy" because people are much more easily offended nowadays, thanks in large part to political correctness. But again, I want to stress that is a completely separate issue here than what is, and it's Roddy White's stupid tweets.



again, not only are you wrong, your dreafully wrong. :|

Barack Obama cant 'do a Gervais'? Really?

Like, when he said this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HOBTUCv4o0

Hmmm, that sounds ALOT like Gervais. Care to revisit that statement?

For the record, I wasn't 'offended' by his comment, nor was I when he had to have a 'beer summit' because he called a stupid white cop a stupid cop.

I was offended when Sarah Palin used PC to go after Letterman. How did that turn out? Oh yeah, he apologised too.

I wasnt offended when The Marlins manager said he respected Castro.

I wasnt offended when Bill Mahrer called terrorists 'brave' so soon after 9-11, either. Yet he lost his show on ABC for it. A show titled 'Politically Incorrect'.

And it doesnt matter if it's Roddy White, or a comic, or a politician, or a baseball manager: the silencing of any kind of 'speech' carries with it deadly and tragic results.
Do you think Barack Obama has a deep seated hatred of 'Special Needs' chilrdren? I certainly dont. No President could hold those views..

But did that stop his opponents from suggesting it?

Can you think of anyone more despicable then the Westboro Baptists? I will fight till my dying breath to keep them on the sidewalk.

I WANT the Nazi's marching, so I can get a good look at them!

Apparently, you can read Roddy White's heart, and you know he hates Gay people. Because the only reason to make that tweet is he hates gays,or he was trying to be 'funny'. Im going with 'trying to be funny'. It is silly to think otherwise.

The sordid history of PC and Fascism are not that far removed. Like BnB said : let the jackass bray.

What offends me is people getting so Goddamned Offended anymore. We cant have Easter, now it's Sphere day. Indian style? Criss Cross Applesauce. And the current outrage du jour, ;bullying' is so completely overblown and misunderstood it is amazing.

The worst thing about the concept of PC is that far too many people are naive enough to believe that being 'PC' is the same as being professionally correct. This is just plain stupid. Here is a small example – assume you have someone suffers from Autism. You can refer to them them in a few different ways:
•As ‘Tard
•As special
•As Autistic/Mentally Retarded

Calling someone that suffers from this condition “‘Tard” is not professional, nor PC, nor even close to correct. In fact, it is idiotic. That much we can agree on. Moving on.

“Special” is the PC or nice way to put it. But as far trying to provide proper assistance to this person, it does nothing! Why? Because it fails to correctly identify the condition that the person has. And if you do not know exactly what is wrong, you cannot render proper assistance.

“Mentally Retarded” or 'Autistic' is the professional way to put it. It does not sugar-coat the truth, nor does it obfuscate the underlying problem. As such, it puts the problem right out in the open, where it can then be addressed correctly.

You do nothing for this person by calling them special. If anything, you only do something for yourself by making yourself feel better about how you address that person’s problem. That is a bit selfish, if you ask me.

Now, some people with limited facilities actually consider it derogatory to identify someone that is mentally retarded as “Mentally Retarded”, or someone that has autism “Autistic”. Where does it end?

In 50 years, if we become like 'Canada' a sterile environment where it's not only impossible to do comedy right, but even casual conversation could land you a police charge, that's what would make me weep.

Your milage may vary.

Image

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Last edited by fun gus on Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Roddy's Wisdom Part 2
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:00 am 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:12 pm
Posts: 6161
Location: Planet Claire
Your record stands for itself, Pudge. You have always been an even handed and pretty permissive mod and a generally thoughtful and enlightened soul. There are plenty of things that have been accepted as "facts" over the years that were profoundly untrue...black QBs, world is flat, Falcons have as good a chance as any to win SB...and these things, these perceptions have informed public policy often to the negative. When you defend PC with issues such as Nazi-ism in modern Germany you say it is because "nothing good is going to come from it." I clearly agree that nothing good is going to come purely from the Nazis or the Fred Phelps or the like bu tI do think something good comes from a free speaking society and an insistence that people grow thick skin. If Roddy had used the word "sissy" we wouldn't be having this conversation and it is probably about as deep as his dis really went. I have no idea how deep or if he has hatred at all towards gay people. Some people really do. you would not believe how many people in my state hate Bame fans or Auburn fans...and if you think I'm kidding it just shows your ignorance. Point being...you aren't going to eradicate or possibly even abate hatred by disallowing it to be expressed. Are you going to contain it? That might be possible. If you don't think the word "gay" or "fag" are used derisively in locker rooms everywhere with next to no connection to what the word means to homosexuals then you haven't been in many locker rooms. Doesn't make it right but it's just macho banter not unlike the N-word (one of the sillier outward expressions of PC of our times) and a million gangster rappers. Consider the source--Roddy White. Not exactly Shakespeare...just a baby with a hand grenade called Twitter. It's all about where you're sitting when it goes off.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Roddy's Wisdom Part 2
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:10 am 
Offline
Superstar
Superstar

Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:31 pm
Posts: 3114
Look what Roddy caused. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Roddy's Wisdom Part 2
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:32 pm 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:12 pm
Posts: 6161
Location: Planet Claire
AngryJohnny51 wrote:
Look what Roddy caused. :)

:lol: There was a guy named Rodney that unwittingly stirred up some trouble if memory serves. You know, we joke but throughout history there is generally some sort of back breaking straw that touches off tidal waves of change that were waiting for it to happen and it quite often doesn't seem like that unusual of an occurrence.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Roddy's Wisdom Part 2
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:28 pm 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 25876
Location: North Carolina
fun gus wrote:
Barack Obama cant 'do a Gervais'? Really?

Like, when he said this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HOBTUCv4o0

Hmmm, that sounds ALOT like Gervais. Care to revisit that statement?

Clearly, I must have implied that Barack Obama isn't allowed to joke, which was not what I was referring to. What I was referring to that in order to show his support for his wife's campaign to combat childhood obesity, Barack Obama can't stand in front of a room full of press and be expected to get away with this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXTq2_3LfXM

fun gus wrote:
The worst thing about the concept of PC is that far too many people are naive enough to believe that being 'PC' is the same as being professionally correct. This is just plain stupid. Here is a small example – assume you have someone suffers from Autism. You can refer to them them in a few different ways:
•As ‘Tard
•As special
•As Autistic/Mentally Retarded

Actually the PC term is "mentally challenged" since the word retarded is decidedly un-PC. Although that's often been categorized now, especially in schools as "developmental disability." And there are differences between autism, developmental disability, etc. You could have Down's Syndrome, you could have Asperger's Syndrome (like my older brother).

And in certain contexts, you can certainly use the word retarded and be able to get away with it. But this notion that the same rules should apply to everybody is complete and utter bullshit. And I hate it when people get up on the soapbox and suggest that should be the case. Because that doesn't apply in any walk of life, so why it should it apply to what you can and cannot say. And now someone is probably thinking that I'm being hypocritical, because I'm up on a soapbox preaching gay rights. And that's a completely different issue because then we're talking civil rights, we're talking about someone else not being granted the same inalienable rights that we generally agree should be given to all human beings.

Look, I want to make it clear that I believe there is a distinction to what the First Amendment actually protects. That Amendment protects your ability to speak, but it doesn't protect the contents of your speech. Just because you have the right to free speech doesn't mean you can trot into a kindergarten class and start swearing like a sailor, and somebody shouldn't come up to you and punch you in the face.

I don't believe Roddy is hateful against gays. He's not David Tyree. But I do think his words were born out of ignorance, and yes I believe almost all ignorance is born out of hatred and/or fear. Fear of the Other as I learned in college.

I don't see how you can say Roddy White was joking. At no point in his brief and ineloquent apology did he suggest that his words were made in jest and thus were misconstrued to be taken seriously, something that EVERYBODY says when that is the case. I don't think Roddy gets why people got pissed off. It wasn't his use of the term gay. You can say the word gay all you want. It's not the word itself, it's the context in which it applies that matters. And in his context, he made the mistake of outright saying that being heterosexual is better than homosexual. And I don't fault anybody for having their feathers ruffled when someone makes a similar claim. If Roddy White was speaking to the inequality that exists in the world when it comes to sexual orientation, then he did not make his intention clear in his follow-up tweets. His only response was "Freedom of speech." And yes, freedom of speech means you are allowed to say asinine things, but it doesn't grant you protection for when people call you out for making asinine claims.

Geraldo Rivera can't hide behind freedom of speech for his comments on the Trayvon Martin murder. You can say what you want to say Geraldo, but don't be surprised when other people give you the big ol' F U for saying it.

Roddy White scored a 4 on his Wonderlic, which basically corresponds to an 80 IQ. Which many know historically if you had an IQ of 70 or below, you were considered developmentally disabled :wink: That type of person shouldn't be making social commentary. It was frankly a retarded analogy to make. In that context, any person with half a brain should know better than to make that analogy which could easily be misconstrued. But no, not Roddy White, who is a complete moron.

And while this thread has devolved into treatises on comedy, offensive humor, political correctness, and freedom of speech, at the end of the core issue is Roddy White is a complete moron. From this latest episode, to a half dozen before. And I'm thinking to myself, "Really, really fun gus? You're really going to draw your line in the sand for this guy and this? Really? Really?"

Now, that's comedy! :rofl:

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Roddy's Wisdom Part 2
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:46 pm 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 4947
Pudge wrote:
And while this thread has devolved into treatises on comedy, offensive humor, political correctness, and freedom of speech, at the end of the core issue is Roddy White is a complete moron. From this latest episode, to a half dozen before. And I'm thinking to myself, "Really, really fun gus? You're really going to draw your line in the sand for this guy and this? Really? Really?"

Now, that's comedy! :rofl:



Well, he's better then the Westboro's Baptists, but I guess I got thier back, too. :mrgreen:

Look, Im not saying what he said was 'right;. But at the end of the day, supposing his thoughts are being Hetero is better then not, and he just thinks that is the funniest thing.... it really THAT big of a deal? Really? REALLY?

So one complete dumass thinks it's better to be straight then gay'. Whoopdefuckindo.

Considering the truly evil and malignant forces lining up against Gay people, I see Dumbass Roddy as pretty 'small potatoes'. That's just me, though.


Just like I thought 'really people? POTUS makes a stupid 'special olympic' joke at his own expense, and THIS is what gets your knickers in a twist? Really? :roll:

:whistle:

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Roddy's Wisdom Part 2
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:39 pm 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 25876
Location: North Carolina
All I know is that in the original I was pointing out Roddy's jackassery for the umpteenth time. How we got to this point, who knows. But I still stand by the original post in that the guy is a ignorant douche. All opposed?

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Roddy's Wisdom Part 2
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:59 pm 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 4947
Pudge wrote:
All I know is that in the original I was pointing out Roddy's jackassery for the umpteenth time. How we got to this point, who knows. But I still stand by the original post in that the guy is a ignorant douche. All opposed?


I dont think anyone would disagree with you there.

Scorpion-Frog. :mrgreen:

Image


Image


:dance: :mrgreen:

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Roddy's Wisdom Part 2
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:28 pm 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:12 pm
Posts: 6161
Location: Planet Claire
Pudge wrote:
All I know is that in the original I was pointing out Roddy's jackassery for the umpteenth time. How we got to this point, who knows. But I still stand by the original post in that the guy is a ignorant douche. All opposed?

Yeah, he's a jackass and I could care less. BTW, my son is Aspergers, has Aspergers...however you say it. Mild anyway.

The classic argument with free speech and rights is the fire in a crowded theater scenario. Beyond that, everything is allowable in my opinion. Do we pay a price for the words we say? Sure. We sometimes pay a price for the words we don't say. As a white Southern make I realize that my opinion really doesn't stand for much in these type of discussions as I'm from a pretty traditonally "entitled" demographic (If only I were born rich I'd really be irrelevent...damn my sharecropper ancestors!!) tha has not been historically denigrated. But when you're right you're right. There may be some kind of payback slack that some folks will get when others won't but it is, in the end, failry counterproductive. Being offended has become the fine art of our times and the funny thing is that day to day people carry on in their personal manners and mannerisms in ways that our mcuh cruder than ever before without a thought about anyone being offended from language to dress to general civility. My two cents anyway...

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Roddy's Wisdom Part 2
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:10 pm 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:12 pm
Posts: 6161
Location: Planet Claire
http://blogs.ajc.com/political-insider- ... id=thbz_hm


...and then some things you just can't say! :lol:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Roddy's Wisdom Part 2
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:44 pm 
Offline
Draught Guru
Draught Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am
Posts: 4947
or do!

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/04/1 ... eerleader/

Image

BTW, I am doing this event in Midtown with 'Baton Bob', who I actually thinks could/should be a Falconette. At least a Majorette..

http://www.nature.org/ourinitiatives/re ... lition.xml

The Nature Conservancy in Georgia is taking over Food Truck Thursday! What better way to spend your lunch hour than picnicking in honor of Earth Day? Try cuisine from around the world from the city’s best food trucks, enjoy entertainment from Baton Bob, Atlanta’s Ambassador of Mirth, music from the Wasted Potential Brass Band, and meet The Nature Conservancy’s staff here in Georgia. Gather up your office mates or neighbors and follow the music to the picnic!

Or at least Blondie from the Clermont...Her, or 'Christie'...

Keep on truckin!

Image

_________________
"what if there were no hypothetical situations?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Roddy's Wisdom Part 2
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:49 am 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:12 pm
Posts: 6161
Location: Planet Claire
Appears to be a Saints fan^ :evil:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Roddy's Wisdom Part 2
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:50 am 
Offline
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 25876
Location: North Carolina
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... --nfl.html

Roddy White remains in Penn State’s corner

By MJD

Thursday saw the release of the Freeh Report, the scathing independent investigation that tried to figure out how, exactly, Jerry Sandusky was able to commit so many human atrocities under the noses of Penn State officials. It was not a day that saw a lot of sympathy for Penn State among the mainstream media.

Star Falcons wide receiver Roddy White is waving the Penn State flag, though. On Thursday morning, White made these tweets regarding the Penn State scandal, defending Joe Paterno. White has since deleted them, but they were, of course, screengrabbed (thanks to Kevin Shockey).

Oh boy.

Before we draw and quarter Roddy White, though, keep in mind that he's not alone here. A lot of people will find a way to convince themselves that JoePa is blameless. I'm not saying that makes them, or Roddy, right or wrong, just that it's a common behavior when a hero is torn down.

Later, Roddy made a couple of explanatory tweets, even though the originals had been deleted.

It's hard to comment too much on what White said because I'm not sure that he knows what he's saying. He says Paterno "told the people he was supposed to tell," and later says he feels terrible because Paterno "didn't do enough." He says he doesn't understand why Penn State was obligated to tell the media about its child rapist coach, and then says they "should've just got him arrested."

I don't know what point White is trying to make or who he's trying to defend. And if he's confused about how he feels or what he's supposed to say, that's fine, because a lot of people are. It's a complex and nearly unprecedented situation.

The one thing we can all agree on, though, is that the welfare and safety of children should be the first priority. It wasn't for Penn State, and though I'm sure that Roddy White feels that way in his heart, it didn't really come through in his tweets.

_________________
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  


cron