It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Saints GM Cheated
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:25 am 
Superstar
Superstar

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/04/2 ... is-denies/

If this is proven, and the Feds don't fool around, more doom and gloom over the horizon the Saints. :clap: :angel: :dance: :angel:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Saints GM Cheated
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:38 am 
Superstar
Superstar

The board police are going to scold you for putting that on this forum. You've been warned. :ninja:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:44 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Yep, the Saints cheated their way to a .500 record. Big deal :roll:

The level of sophistication required for Loomis to steal signals/calls, and then relay that his own coaching staff is in order for Haslett & Co. to take advantage is so ridiculous that he deserves our applause not our scorn if he managed to pull it off. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:57 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Yeah, I kinds thought about that too, Pudge. they were not the Saints as they have come to be known at that time.If this were to turn out to be true it would underscore their recent rep as a rogue org willing to do anythiung at all to win and makes you wonder what all has happened that we will never hear about. I'm generally pretty cynical about these kinds of things and also skeptical as to how much is real news and how much is piling on a bit. But, to use an AB buzz word, the shield can only take so much tarnishing before the customer base begins to erode.As a friend of mine says, there's no such thing as a fair fight but maintaining the appearance of a fair fight can be important.

The hometeam has a lot of built in advantages dating way back to guys hiding in the scoreboard with binoculars stealing and then relaying in catcher's signs to the dug out in basball but when the advantages become literally hardwired into the system with the high tech bent of the NFL now you have a mess on your hands. Sometimes the high tech aspects of a game or anything for that matter can rob it of some of its essential ingredients. For example, int he entertainment biz lip synching and all its cousins like pre-recorded tracks are steadily becoming the norm to the point that some people won't even know what certain instruments look like much less how they look being played. Its expedient but like amicro-wavable meal versus something cooked on slow roast--you get what you pay for.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:59 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

The more draft choices they lose the better!! I don't care what they did!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:57 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
Yep, the Saints cheated their way to a .500 record. Big deal :roll:

The level of sophistication required for Loomis to steal signals/calls, and then relay that his own coaching staff is in order for Haslett & Co. to take advantage is so ridiculous that he deserves our applause not our scorn if he managed to pull it off. :wink:

What? Personally, I dont believe it's even true. They did not 'deny' Bountygate, but they are screaming from the mountains on this one.

But that being said: I could see a situation where the visiting locker rooms are mic'ed up, and Loomis is listening at halftime to what 'adjustments' the visiting team is going to make. Then, it's pretty easy to get that information down to the sidelines. That would constitute a slight advantage.

Just sayin' :|

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:17 pm 

fun gus wrote:
But that being said: I could see a situation where the visiting locker rooms are mic'ed up, and Loomis is listening at halftime to what 'adjustments' the visiting team is going to make. Then, it's pretty easy to get that information down to the sidelines. That would constitute a slight advantage.

Yep, you're right. Unfortunately, that doesn't appear to be the case. From what I understand, the team had their own coaching booths mic'd up (nothing wrong with that), and then at some point the Saints coaches vacated those premises, moved to another booth, and the powers that be in New Orleans did not make the effort to remove those listening devices from their former booths.

Reports that Loomis had used listening devices during the course of the game, but as far as I know no solid proof that it was other teams communications. He could have very well been listening to his own team talking. And subsequently no indicator that if he was "stealing signals" that he then was able to communicate any new information to his own team.

Now new information could and potentially will come to light that will change my outlook on this, but until it does, this to me seems to be much ado about nothing. Not saying that nothing will come of this, but I ask what really should come of this? It (allegedly) happened 7 years ago, there is nothing really important at stake (like for Spygate), and unless some strong evidence comes to light that yes, Loomis was indeed using his (alleged) eavesdroppings to gain a competitive advantage for his team, then at least as far as the NFL goes, I really don't see what they should do besides giving the Saints and Loomis a very stern looking finger wag. :x :naughty:

Profile E-mail