Purveyor of Truth & Justice

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/0 ... n-on-d-lin

Falcons see opportunities for competition on D-line

By Dan Parr
dparr@pfwmedia.com
Associate editor
Posted June 30, 2012 @ 11:19 a.m. ET

With John Abraham and Ray Edwards returning, there is no doubt about their roles as the Falcons’ starting defensive ends. There is a better chance of a competition developing at defensive tackle, where Corey Peters, who was sidelined by a foot injury during minicamp, and Jonathan Babineaux have the edge to keep their starting jobs over Peria Jerry, Vance Walker and rookie Travian Robertson.

If any serious battles do emerge on the Falcons’ D-line, they are most likely to come as backups compete for positioning on the depth chart.

The Falcons are going to need at least a few backups to play a significant role in their D-line rotation. They have been waiting for homegrown talent like DE Lawrence Sidbury to break through as an edge rusher and push for more playing time, something he has failed to do so far. As he enters the final year of his rookie deal, time is running out for Sidbury (five sacks in 38 career games spanning three seasons) to show significant improvement. This season likely will be his last chance to unseat Kroy Biermann as the primary backup at defensive end.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Falcons see opportunities for competition on D-line
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:43 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I think T. ROBINSON CAN BE A PLAYER.....Peters has been worth every penny; and I EXPECT tHAT RAY EDWARDS WAS INDEED HURT LAST YEAR....

THIS D. could be a good one!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:31 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Boy we need that last sentence...

Quote:
According to the team's website, Falcons rookie DE Jonathan Massaquoi demonstrated "tremendous speed" during Atlanta's final minicamp.
Per Falcons.com, Massaquoi's burst was "evident" in special teams periods. The Falcons believe Massaquoi slumped from 13.5 sacks as a sophomore in 2010 to six as a junior in 2011 because he added 15 pounds that offseason. He reported to the Falcons at 260 -- Massaquoi's 2010 weight -- and his explosion appears to have returned. He's a sleeper to emerge as a starter down the road.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:11 pm 

I really hope Massaquoi gets some of the pep back he had as a sophomore when he looked like a 2nd rounder with 1st round potential. But watching him on tape as a junior when he was around 265 pounds, he looked like J.A.G.

It makes me wonder about his upside though, if he's only an affective pass rusher as far as burst goes at 250-255 as opposed to being 260 or above. What role can he have being that size? Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:32 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Well TD's never pulled a later dline gem, so we're certainly due. KGB wouldn't be a bad result ultimately. You're point is very valid, in that if your only move is the speed first step, good OT's just kick slide you past the qb. Have to have a counter move.

Guess who I saw on nfl network last night, Mr. Ray Edwards. I can't express how much he's slimmed down, maybe a good 15 lbs?? Much, much leaner looking. Did mention he played on a scoped knee all last season, saying the scope was only 1 month pre-camp. So I am reserving more room for improvement from him this year.

If we can get Edwards, Biermann and maybe Mass to develop some, that gives us enough bodies to hopefully bridge the Abe gap. Some where we're gonna have to find a stud, b/c the best medicine for all this passing now is still pass rush.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:11 pm 

People blame the knee for Ray Ray's problems last year. I think it was because he didn't commit to maintaining football shape throughout the off-season since he was more concerned with his boxing career. I think he came to camp too heavy last year, and lost some of the flexibility he seemed to have back in Minnesota. He was a very straight-line and stiff guy that didn't have the same burst (which is partly due to the knee). Which is why he seemingly waited so long before he had the knee scoped (June or July), because he was more concerned with getting his boxing career off the ground.

I'm hoping he comes through this year, or else this is one of the worst FA signings the Falcons have made since when? Jason Webster? Ed Hartwell?

This is a situation that could easily blow up for the Falcons, because up til now you can question whether Ray Ray is committed long-term to the game of football. And if it shows that is the case, and Ray struggles again in 2012, the Falcons should part ways. TD's reputation as a GM needs a significant improvement from Ray this year, as well as Dunta being one of the league's better nickel/slot corners, otherwise we've paid Robinson $25.5 million to get a mid-level starting corner, and will have paid Edwards $11 million to get a mid-level starting defensive end.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:12 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I saw a video of Ray Edwards and Connor Barwin on NFL network. Edwards looks like he dropped serious weight and looks pretty slimmed out.I got faith in him to really step up this year although I found it funny that Barwin was standing right next to him. You got a stud in Barwin then a fallen player in Edwards.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:56 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
Ed Hartwell?

Oh I remember vividly, we thought we had pulled Ray Lewis Jr. He would talk so much smack, got hurt and really never played well at all. All that smack was basically look what I do now that I'm out of the Baltimore LB shadow (as they were pumping out good lb's left and rt).

Quote:
TD's reputation as a GM needs a significant improvement from Ray this year, as well as Dunta being one of the league's better nickel/slot corners, otherwise we've paid Robinson $25.5 million to get a mid-level starting corner, and will have paid Edwards $11 million to get a mid-level starting defensive end.

:fingersx:

I think the flexibility point you made is very, very important. To get around these monsters roaming around at T these days, you'd better be nimble. Thats why its so exciting to watch kids like PierrePaul and now A.Smith, b/c those dudes move incredibly well for being human beings that big. I honestly think thats the main reason he slimmed down.