It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Forte gets extension
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:45 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

The Bears signed Forte to a four-year, $32 million deal with $18 million guaranteed. A stupid contract for the Bears. The Eagles gave McCoy 6 yrs, $46 million with $21 million guaranteed. But McCoy is 2.5 years younger than Forte.

Forte is going to be 27 in December, and the age of 27 and 28 is almost universally the point in RB's careers where they take a step back. Those that do not take that step back typically were guys that didn't play a ton in their primes which for a RB is usually ages 21 thru 26 (e.g. Tiki Barber, Warrick Dunn, Priest Holmes) or guys that are future HOFers (e.g. Barry Sanders, Curtis Martin).

I also think Forte is one of the more overrated RBs in the league. He's a good player, but I think because he's such a great fantasy producer, people confuse that with him being a great runner. A 220-pound back like him should not be nearly as poor a short-yardage and 3rd down runner as he is. I think in terms of skillset he is a fairly average talent as far as RBs go, that for whatever reason is highly productive (similarly to a player like Ryan Grant).

Profile E-mail