Post subject: Peria Jerry Finally Healthy And Turning A Corner
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:06 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/2012/07/p ... -a-corner/

Peria Jerry Finally Healthy And Turning A Corner
By: Daniel Cox | July 30th, 2012
Recommend (5) Print Enlarge Text

When you’re a first-round pick, the scrutiny you receive is always going to be more magnified than some other players. The 2009 first-round pick, Peria Jerry, knows this all too well.

A significant knee injury ended Jerry’s rookie season in the second game of the year. To that point, he’d shown a lot of promise with his ability to push the pocket and pressure the backfield. It’s been a long road back for Jerry, but this offseason he has been blessed with solid health and an opportunity to get more snaps.

With Corey Peters missing the entire offseason and not yet cleared to practice in training camp, Jerry has been getting many of the first team snaps, lining up with the likes of John Abraham and Jonathan Babineaux. So far, Jerry and his teammates believe things are going well for him.

“It feels good to be out there with Abe and Babs and they’re telling me I’m looking good, and I’m learning from them, as well,” he said. “It feels good to be out there with veteran guys that are pushing me to be a better player. I respect them and I give shout outs to Abe and Babs.”

Jerry’s focused on keeping the aggressive and powerful play that made him a first-round pick out of Ole Miss, but has been supplementing all of that with work on what he calls the small things about the defensive tackle position: hand placement and technique. He’s working hard and relieved to have injuries behind him and be working in camp with a 100 percent clean bill of health.

“I feel like I’m over the hump now,” he said. “The only thing I can do is go out there and show everybody why I’m here.”

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Peria Jerry Finally Healthy And Turning A Corner
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:20 pm 

In 2010, when Jerry wasn't completely healthy, but he did show some promise that year as I saw a guy that could use his hands and had some pass rush moves (something Walker and Peters utterly lacked at the time).

Last year, he showed some promise early in the year as a replacement for Babineaux, but then when Babs returned he was invisible. I don't know if it was becasue Jerry was supposed to play different technique than he was playing in Babs' absence, but I saw a bit of a regression in his play. He just didn't know how to use his hands.

People say that it was his "devastating" knee injury that has caused Jerry to be considered a bust. And I certainly understand that his explosiveness off the line could be severely affected by having a bum knee. But my beef with Jerry is that he has never really shown any improvement with his technique/hands. He is a guy that needed to make up for that lost burst by being better with his hands. And this was the issue I had with Jerry when he was coming out of school. He was a guy that didn't like to use his hands. Like many collegiate DTs, he relied too much off his initial burst/first step to beat you with power and speed. That worked at Ole Miss because he was often played at the 3-technique, but here in Atlanta we like to use our tackles in multiple techniques, which makes it necessary for a guy to be able to use his hands rather than relying solely on his burst/quickness. And it's one of the reasons why I thought Jerry was going to be a 3-year project initially, and thus was not good value in the 1st round.

And for me personally, I don't think his getting hurt in 2009 really affected that, and thus why I don't really see it as an excuse for why he hasn't shown up yet.

We've heard for two summers now how Jerry is improving and starting to come on, and it has translated to just being a largely average reserve defensive tackle. We'll see if this summer's hype is any different.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:57 pm 
Starter
Starter

I'll put Jerry in the same category as Baker. No matter how many rosy offseason/preseason articles I read about them, I want to see it on the field. I really hope both these guys turn it around but I can't say that I expect much.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:20 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I remember hearing year after year how JA98 was improving and how said year was going to be a huge year, and we saw how that ended. Mark me down in the seeing is believing category.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:34 am 
Superstar
Superstar

"P.JERRY" wrote
Quote:

“It feels good to be out there with Abe and Babs and they’re telling me I’m looking good, and I’m learning from them, as well,” he said. “It feels good to be out there with veteran guys that are pushing me to be a better player. I respect them and I give shout outs to Abe and Babs.”

If any player needs others to tell him he's looking good; then he's probably not a player. If he's doing better there's no doubt he'd know that!!