It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:06 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ravens Game
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:16 am 
Superstar
Superstar

1st team looked fantastic, both on offense and defense. If we continue to attack teams like we did tonight, the Jones trade starts making a lot more sense. (Where was this under Mularkey? Anyone else glad he's gone?)

Jacquizz Rodgers is, "the future." I'm really hoping that he's more, "the present," but I'm sure that Turner will continue to get his touches.

Our backup QBs are a joke. Redman is our #2, and he really hasn't looked, "good," in 2 years. JPW looks like a clueless rookie. Davis looked like he was somewhat competent. Truth be told, I'm kind of surprised that he looked as good as he did. I wasn't really expecting much from a UDFA. But of our 3 backup QBs, he certainly had the strongest performance. I realize that he didn't have the best stats, but his ability to buy time, and put the ball where his receivers had a chance was impressive. He actually looked poised, where JPW and Redman looked horribly uncomfortable. That said, I'd like to see him put more, "touch," on the ball.

I'm worried about the injury to Dent. It didn't look like it was serious contact. Kind of reminds me of some of Bob Christian's concussions late in his career. Hopefully it was a freak accident type deal.

The injury to Ewing doesn't concern me too much. I realize that it's a horrible blow to the kid, but with the new offense, I'm hoping that FB is the least used position on the field. Let Michael Palmer play FB on the short yardage stuff.

Looks like Peria Jerry might really contribute this year... Also kind of impressed with Robert James, I figured that he was done.

Post subject: Re: Ravens Game
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:07 am 
Superstar
Superstar

There was nothing that made this Falcon Team look liked a running team.

I hate Turner and really think we've over rated Rogers. I don't really like any of our running backs
which works fine for me if they can block. Robert is absolutely right; we need a real back-up Qb now;
and Wilson shouldn't be in the league based on tonight's play.

It was a good start for the offense and Matt Ryan who almost looked like he had an attitude (:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:19 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Rodgers isn't overrated, he was under-utilized last year. He needs to be our every down back. As our every down back, he would be a strong runner, and a potentially explosive security blanket for Ryan. That, of course, is assuming that the offense that we saw tonight is the offense that we'll be running this year.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:52 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I love it. I like that people are starting to realize something that fun gus and I were telling people last year, that Redman wasn't that good. And remember how I said this off-season, that the Falcons should have brought in more competition at QB?

But anyway, you guys are way overreacting to one game. Redman is what he always has been. Wilson had his moment in the 2-minute drill, unfortunately he didn't do anything else. And Davis? Granted, I did check out for most of the 2nd half, but I saw a strong-armed, inaccurate passer, which was the exact same thing I saw at ECU.

The off-season is over. The Falcons have made their bed with the vast majority of the roster they have to date. Now they have to lie in it.

Unless you guys are suggesting we give Donovan a call...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:09 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I wouldn't be on the phone with Donovan just yet. I'd probably start the season with Ryan, Redman, and Davis. If Ryan were to go down, that's when I'd be calling Donovan.

Redman was good at one point in time, and when he's had to fill in for Ryan, he's done a decent enough job. I don't know if it's age, lack of reps, or what, but when we have seen him for the past couple of years, he hasn't been very impressive.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:18 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Wow the glass is really half empty on this board. Our first string tore up the opponents first string and we are back to discussing our back up qb :beef: I for one am pretty happy with the effort and play calling. Let's hope that this is a sign of things to come, and that this team plays with a chip on its shoulder.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:24 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Yea I didn't realize I was panicking either? Redmon didn't have time to throw; but at some point you should assume John Parker Wilson
would get better. I expected him to at least get a little better to give Redmon competition;

Dave's right the Falcon first team offense really took it to the Ravens defense. After Ryan's pick I couldn't help but notice that the very
next play was a pass again from Ryan.

Some people think preseason means nothing; I think if you scrimmage well it doesn't mean much; but
if you do something poorly it does seem to follow you threw the season.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:34 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Cyril wrote:
at some point you should assume John Parker Wilson
would get better.

No...just no.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:39 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

JPW has never impressed, even with his arm strength and athleticism he just has never really improved. On the other hand I really wish that they would try and dial up some down the field passes for Kevin Cone to display his speed. I like Drew Davis also, this 5th WR battle is a nice one.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:53 am 
Superstar
Superstar

My point was that I just want Redmon to have some competition. I expected that this year; but it seems like the same ole JPW !!
Giving competition to a back up is not hard to find. Plus we don't know how Redmon has looked in practice? As it was said it was a short scrimmage for Qbs; but still we just didn't look like a running team, but it will be Thursday night again in 5 days and their will
be more to discuss on everyone!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:04 am 

Seems like that last post is a complete 180 from a previous series of posts Cyril. :so:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17080&p=109479

Profile E-mail