Post subject: Mularkey’s touchdown celebration plan is brilliant
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:48 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... brilliant/

Mularkey’s touchdown celebration plan is brilliant

Posted by Mike Florio on August 14, 2012, 6:40 PM EDT

Reuters
Though it remains to be seen whether Mike Mularkey’s second stint as an NFL head coach will turn out any better than his first one, he recently unveiled a plan that is nothing short of brilliant.

For every touchdown scored by the Jaguars that isn’t followed by a celebration, he’ll donate $250 to the local Ronald McDonald’s House. The Jaguars will match the amount, driving the total to (carry the one) $500.

So Jaguars players now have an even stronger incentive to hand the ball to the official after scoring. While those who choose to nevertheless celebrate will likely feel plenty of local pressure to donate the $500 out of their own pockets, it’s the kind of no-I-in-team exercise that could truly help bring the Jaguars together in a way that will cause them to perform better as a unit.

Some may say that, in the end, it won’t matter because they won’t be scoring many touchdowns. But every year there are teams that surprise us, and that often happens when a collection of individuals decides to behave like a team.

Mularkey’s strategy is the kind of thing that possibly could make that happen in Jacksonville. If it does, look for plenty of other coaches to consider doing the same thing.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Mularkey’s touchdown celebration plan is brilliant
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:13 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

$500? These guys have bigger pieces of change than that in their poop.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:00 am 

Yes, that could be one reaction to it. Given the Jags scored 24 touchdowns last year, that would mean that Mularkey is probably on the hook for at least $6,000 donation. Given that he probably makes around $1.2 million in salary, that amounts to be about 0.5% of his total annual salary.

But consider this. The average American salary is usually estimated to be around $35,000. If someone walked up to you on the street and asked you to donate 0.5% of that, which amounts to be $175 to XYZ charity, would you be so ready to give it up? Many people would, and probably given some time to process it, almost everybody would eventually. But most people probably don't walk around everyday ready to write a check for $175 just on a whim.

And then in the case of Mularkey, he probably gives hundreds if not thousands of dollars to lots of different charities. In the case of the Jaguars themselves, they probably give out hundreds of thousands to charities. So if all the Ronald McDonald House gets is just $12,000 from the Jaguars, my first reaction isn't going to be "Well, they could do better."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:05 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Every little bit helps? No doubt. But it is really about MM kind of getting on a non-speaking soapbox regarding EZ celebrations and using the charity premise to put him on high ground with it. "I'm going to pay a nickel to RM House every time one of my players uses sir and ma'am in a post game interview. I'm all about helping kids."

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:24 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I like the idea. The amount of money doesn't matter to me. At last he's giving. As well as installing a new image to a team with a fresh start.

Who are we to look down on how much someone gives? :?:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:28 pm 

backnblack wrote:
Every little bit helps? No doubt. But it is really about MM kind of getting on a non-speaking soapbox regarding EZ celebrations and using the charity premise to put him on high ground with it.

But that's why it's so clever.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:13 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Good points. I think President Obama ought to hold a press conference to say we are giving a nickel help the starving kids in Africa. In other words, to anyone who spikes the ball, "Why do you hate Ronald McDonald?"