It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Atlanta Falcons: Offense showing 11 personnel often
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:23 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

This is another head-scratching moment for me. Is this something that has developed more as a reaction to injury to Ewing or some other natural evolution over the course of the off-season, or was this the plan all along from the beginning? Because if it's the latter, then why did you basically waste a draft pick on a fullback if that was the case? And why are you paying Turner so much, as we know that he's played his best football in the past when he's had a good blocking fullback in front of him? Is this going to be the primary identity of the offense (I believe it should be)?

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-bl ... lcons_blog

Atlanta Falcons: Offense showing 11 personnel often

5:00 am August 15, 2012, by D. Orlando Ledbetter
Roddy White, Julio Jones and Harry Douglas are featured in the Falcons' three-wide receiver set. (Curtis Compton/ccompton@ajc.com)

Roddy White, Julio Jones and Harry Douglas are featured in the Falcons' three-wide receiver set. (Curtis Compton/ccompton@ajc.com)

FLOWERY BRANCH — The Falcons’ offense is making some not-so-subtle changes under new offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter.

One of the major changes has been the implementation of the three-wide receiver set or “11” personnel — one back and one tight end — as a primary formation.

“That three-wide receiver set, one tight end and one back has been good for us in the past,” quarterback Matt Ryan said. “We’ve got talented guys to fill out those positions. It will probably be something that we use.”

Wide receiver Roddy White has called for more use of more three-wide-receiver sets.

The coaches obliged in the exhibition opener. When the third wide receiver, Harry Douglas, couldn’t play because of a rib injury, they inserted Kerry Meier and stayed with the formation.

Douglas has recovered and is set to play against the Bengals at 8 p.m. Thursday at the Georgia Dome.

“When you only play three series, it’s tough to change up your personnel groupings as much as you normally would throughout a game,” Ryan said. “We didn’t have all of the typical situations that you are going to go through [in a regular-season game].”

When the Falcons go with three wide receivers, the odd position out is the fullback.

“We are looking forward to having a full complement of our starters this week,” Falcons coach Mike Smith said.

Ryan was effective, completing nine of 13 passes for 155 yards against the Ravens, mostly from 11 personnel.

“It was a great start, but that’s all it was because it was one quarter,” Smith said. “But I thought that he was very efficient.”

While the three-wide receiver set was productive, the offense still has some kinks to work out.

“We did some things well, but we made a bunch of mistakes,” Ryan said. “First-string, second-string and third-string, all the way through, guys made some mistakes. Every year, the most improvement is from Game 1 to Game 2. So, I think we’ll be a little more sharp when we come out Thursday night against the Bengals.”

The Falcons are not putting together a game plan for the Bengals.

“It’s fun not planning it,” Ryan said. “Certainly, less preparation that goes into getting ready for the preseason game than there is for regular-season games. But there is more time spent on the practice field.”

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Atlanta Falcons: Offense showing 11 personnel often
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:52 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

As frustating as it is to waste a pick on Ewing (and keeping MT), as there was a lot of other good opts available...isn't this what we wanted all along? I think you just have to be happy as we seem to be heading in the right direction schematically.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:47 pm 

I agree. It's a good move as far as utilizing our personnel to make our offense most potent. Clearly, the coaches are doing their job. It just makes me wonder about the front office, and whether they are truly on the same page or maybe just flying by the seat of their pants.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:09 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Very much looking forward to tonight, to see if last week was an aberration, or a sign of things to come. I sincerely hope that Koetter is the real deal. I know that Ryan, Jones, White, and Gonzalez are the real deal, and potentially Rodgers, and Douglas as well. Just need to right guy calling the shots for our abundance of talent to put more points on the board.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:28 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I can't believe how many people are calling for Micheal Turner's head. Let the guy rush for less than 1000 yards. Geesh! He's the new Mike Mularkey and BVG on this site.

Profile E-mail