It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pat Y's take
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:20 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

I saw some signs the Atlanta Falcons can be the team they want to be in Thursday night’s 24-19 preseason loss to Cincinnati.

There were some explosive plays on offense, a turnover created by the first-team defense, some steady pressure by defensive end Ray Edwards and even a few screen passes.

Quarterback Matt Ryan played until midway through the second quarter and the rest of the starters were done by halftime when the Falcons led 13-10. Not much mattered after that, but there were lots of encouraging signs from the starters. Let’s run through some observations: •Ryan’s numbers (18-of-21 for 174 yards and a touchdown) look spectacular and he completed his first 11 pass attempts. But that doesn’t tell the whole story. Ryan’s first eight passes were mostly short ones and he didn’t have a long completion until connecting with Roddy White for a 24-yard gain on his ninth pass. He followed that with a 21-yard pass to Tony Gonzalez and later had a downfield completion in traffic to Julio Jones. Ryan seemed under pressure early, but the offensive line seemed to settle down as time went on. Ryan also missed slightly on a deep throw for Jones. The ball was well thrown, but it went off Jones’ fingertips.
•In his first two preseason games, Ryan has completed 27 of 34 passes for 329 yards and two touchdowns.
•Speaking of the offensive line, Garrett Reynolds got another start at right guard and it looks like he could remain there. There had been thought that rookie Peter Konz would overtake him. But Konz went down with an apparent leg injury in the third quarter. Konz did return to the game, but it remains to be seen if he'll be healthy enough to play in the third preseason game. If Konz doesn't start in the third preseason game, then the starting job likely belongs to Reynolds.
•Ewards, who played hurt and wasn’t productive last year, was a definite factor against the Bengals. I saw him get good pressure on Andy Dalton once and he also chased down a ball carrier in the backfield.
•Speaking of maligned defensive linemen, former first-round pick Peria Jerry continues to play well. He’s starting in place of the injured Corey Peters. Jerry had a sack on Dalton, although he did get called for a late hit two plays earlier. Still, it was nice to see Jerry show some of the skills that made him a first-round pick. If he keeps playing the way he has been, he might have a chance to move ahead of Peters or at least get significant time in the rotation.
•Jerry wasn’t the only interior lineman producing pressure. Jonathan Babineaux sacked Dalton, but the play was nullified when Babineaux was called for a face-mask penalty. I watched the replay several times and saw no indication that Babineaux’s hand ever got close to Dalton’s face mask. I think the replacement refs botched that call.
•Thomas DeCoud and William Moore have made some noise that they believe they can be one of the best safety tandems in the league this year. That seems like a long shot, if you go simply by what they’ve done in the past. But there was a moment against the Bengals when it looked like that could become a reality. Moore stripped the ball from running back Brian Leonard and DeCoud quickly pounced on the fumble.
•The Falcons appear to be very serious about throwing more to their running backs. Michael Turner, Jacquizz Rodgers and Lousaka Polite each caught passes. Polite, who recently was signed to provide depth at fullback, caught a short touchdown pass. I’m not sure I want to see too many passes to Turner and Polite in the regular season because I don’t see either of the making big plays after the catch. But I think Rodgers has the skill to do that and he should be targeted often. Also, Rodgers had a very nice run between the tackles in the second quarter. A lot of people think Rodgers can’t run between the tackles because he’s short. But the Falcons believe Rodgers is thick enough to run up the middle and I think you’ll see a fair amount of that this year.
•Speaking of Rodgers, he also got a long look at punt returner and kickoff returner. The highlight was a 29-yard punt returner, before giving way to Dominique Franks, who is competing for the job as the punt returner. Rodgers is competing for the kickoff return job with his brother, James.
•I saw some good and bad things out of cornerback Asante Samuel. He did a nice job going up with A.J. Green for a pass and breaking it up. But Samuel also got beat badly by Green on a 55-yard touchdown pass. Samuel sat on a short route, looking like he thought he could jump in and intercept. But Green took off downfield and left Samuels to chase him.
•I keep liking what I see out of undrafted rookie quarterback Dominique Davis. He throws well and is athletic. He might be raw, but I think the Falcons could develop him into something if they keep him around. I think Davis could be an upgrade over No. 3 quarterback John Parker Wilson. Davis looked great with the fourth team. The Falcons might be wise to give him a look with the second or third team in the final two preseason games.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... ns-bengals

Post subject: Re: Pat Y's take
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:19 pm 

I'd really like to see Davis get some work with the 2nd team offense to see what he can do against stiffer competition. If nothing else he can hold the #3 spot and relieve Redman of his duties next year if he shows enough development.

I'm very excited about what Jacquizz Rodgers brings to the table this year for the Falcons. I'm hoping to see an even split with Turner on field time (not necessarily carries as Rodgers is probably deadlier out of a screen pass or other dink & dunk type attacks). Quizz and MJD are nearly identical builds (5'6" 197lbs vs. 5'7' 210lbs) and we did just pick up the coordinator that largely help build MJD's success.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:02 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I think it's funny that Pat Y and twitter went nuts last night when Edwards got a pressure on Dalton last night. The play that I'm sure most are referring to, many people didn't realize that Edwards was unblocked on the play. :roll:

From what I've seen so far this preseason, I see the same player from last year. Very good against the run, but can't win 1 on 1 situations as a pass rusher with any consistent basis. It's not quite a recipe for success. But I'll withhold judgment until the real bullets start flying.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:31 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Hey, some other folks are starting to say what I said last week. ;) If Davis keeps it up, especially against stiffer competition, I think that he'll easily beat out JPW. I doubt that he'll pass Redman for #2, but if he gets playing time with the 2nd team and does better than Redman, I'd be willing to make that change.

Ryan looks awesome. I hope that some of the Ryan doubters are starting to see what the guy is really capable of with a less conservative coach. I think that Ryan will definitively break into the top 5 QBs this year. I'm going to predict 4600 yards and 35 tds. (I also don't think that we're going to have multiple 5000 yard QBs this year)

Rodgers is the future. Turner will either not be on the roster next year, or he will remain at a significant cut in pay and playing time. It has yet to be seen if Rodgers can carry the ball 300 times, but he certainly can do everything else that's expected of a HB.

Harry Douglas is the invisible man with the first team. Then again, EVERYONE ELSE is getting plenty of action. Jones, White, Gonzalez, Palmer all had 20+ yard catches from Ryan in the first half. The Falcons had EIGHT people with a catch of 20 yards or more. Spreading the ball around and getting yards in big chunks. Things are looking good.

I wonder if we'll lose all of our preseason games again, and I wonder if people will think that the sky is falling if we do.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:50 pm 

I'll be surprised if we lost next week to the Dolphins. With our starters likely playing into the 3rd quarter, I suspect the backups won't be on the field to lose it like they've done the past 2 games.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:47 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I dont think I like Pat Y that much. He always states the obvious and It seems to be a lack of quality analysis. I feel like he's just going through the motions.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:22 pm 

Well given the utter lack of quality beat writers of the Falcons in the city itself, I appreciate Pat Y. His reports are far more informative than things that D-Led writes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:23 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Pudge wrote:
Well given the utter lack of quality beat writers of the Falcons in the city itself, I appreciate Pat Y. His reports are far more informative than things that D-Led writes.

Aw man, great point. I forgot how dry DOL was. I need water just thinking about it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:45 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Confess_Jesus_Now wrote:
Pudge wrote:

Aw man, great point. I forgot how dry DOL was. I need water just thinking about it.

Dry is OK, and could work when paired with the bow tie, but he comes off as incredibly annoying. I wouldn't call him if I could possibly avoid it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:52 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I really like Ryan's development........I think he was held back a little last year; but I don't think a conservative coach held him back in
years 1-3. I think it takes many Qbs 5 years to make it..... Some organizations give up too fast; but 15 years ago 5 years was the norm.
I still think most qbs need 5 years to hit their prime!!