It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pat Hill doing his job?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:56 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

FLOWERY BRANCH — Falcons offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter and quarterback Matt Ryan have been pleased with the pass protection through the first two exhibition games.

The offensive line’s pass protection is a major concern entering 2012 after they gave up 26 sacks and 84 quarterback hits last season.

“It was definitely better this week in the second game,” Koetter said. “We’ve called over 60 pass plays. We had some pressures and some hurries, but I thought our chips with our [running] backs was really good.”

The Falcons have given up four sacks, all by the reserves. They also gave up five quarterback hits against Baltimore and four against Cincinnati. Ryan has not been sacked when the first-unit has been on the field.

“I think two games into [the exhibition season] I haven’t been hit yet,” Ryan said. “I keep telling them ‘Keep that up and it’s going to be fun year.’”

- D. Orlando Ledbetter and Chris Vivlamore
http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-bl ... rotection/

Post subject: Re: Pat Hill doing his job?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:02 am 
Superstar
Superstar

fun gus wrote:
FLOWERY BRANCH — Falcons offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter and quarterback Matt Ryan have been pleased with the pass protection through the first two exhibition games.

The offensive line’s pass protection is a major concern entering 2012 after they gave up 26 sacks and 84 quarterback hits last season.

“It was definitely better this week in the second game,” Koetter said. “We’ve called over 60 pass plays. We had some pressures and some hurries, but I thought our chips with our [running] backs was really good.”

The Falcons have given up four sacks, all by the reserves. They also gave up five quarterback hits against Baltimore and four against Cincinnati. Ryan has not been sacked when the first-unit has been on the field.

“I think two games into [the exhibition season] I haven’t been hit yet,” Ryan said. “I keep telling them ‘Keep that up and it’s going to be fun year.’”

- D. Orlando Ledbetter and Chris Vivlamore
http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-bl ... rotection/

As we all know the line is a concern for sure. Ryan hasn't been sacked yet, but we've played two teams that haven't game planned either, so the enthusiasm should be tempered for now.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:33 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

It remains to be seen how good this unit is in the regular season. With Baltimore missing Terrell Suggs and Cincinnati missing Carlos Dunlap, our O-line hasn't been tested to a huge degree. It's not to say that the rest of their respective D-lines stink, but it's the equivalent of this D-line missing John Abraham, the one guy that you know can get heat and pressure and slant protections.

Week 1, we have Hali. Week 2 we have Miller & Dumervil. Week 3 we have Ingram & Phillips. Week 4 we have Charles Johnson, and Week 5 we have Orakpo & Kerrigan.

I want to see how we perform against those guys, in particular Baker against those guys before I really lean one way or the other.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:53 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
in particular Baker

Agree. He needs to step up big-time this year and stay healthy.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:54 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Pudge wrote:
Week 1, we have Hali. Week 2 we have Miller & Dumervil. Week 3 we have Ingram & Phillips. Week 4 we have Charles Johnson, and Week 5 we have Orakpo & Kerrigan.

I want to see how we perform against those guys, in particular Baker against those guys before I really lean one way or the other.

Hali is suspended for the first game.

Profile E-mail