Post subject: Can Chris Cooley Help Falcons Win Super Bowl? a Fan's Take
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:19 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/chris-cool ... --nfl.html

Can Chris Cooley Help Atlanta Falcons Win Super Bowl? a Fan’s Take
Yahoo! Contributor Network
By Hobson Lopes | Yahoo! Contributor Network – 2 hours 20 minutes ago

For most of the past eight seasons, Chris Cooley has been one of the most popular players for the Washington Redskins. During those eight seasons, he did miss some time due to injury, including 11 games a year ago, but he did a great job for an underachieving team that struggled to find a reliable leader. Some could say he deserved more than he got in that city, but poor management decisions have made it difficult for any Redskin player or fan to get what they deserve. Earlier this week, Cooley was released by the Redskins and is currently looking for a new team. Could he be the final piece to the Super Bowl puzzle for the Atlanta Falcons?

It isn't as though the Falcons need to bring Cooley in to overtake Tony Gonzalez as the No. 1 tight end, but his presence could be a huge boost to the already stacked Atlanta offense. On the current depth chart in Atlanta, Michael Palmer, a third-year player out of Clemson with 15 career receptions is behind Gonzalez. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Palmer could have a solid career if given the chance to succeed, but if you tell me the Falcons could bring in Cooley and his 428 career receptions, why not?

Even without the addition of Cooley, the Falcons already have a stacked offense that can put any combination of the following players on the field at once. Gonzalez, Michael Turner, Jacquizz Rodgers, Roddy White, Julio Jones, Jason Snelling. With those players alone, it will be difficult for defenses to stop the Falcons, especially with an improved Matt Ryan throwing the rock. Adding in Cooley will make it nearly impossible to stop them, especially in two-tight end sets.

The biggest question about Cooley at this point is his durability. If he can stay healthy for an extended period of time, he can be the man to replace Gonzalez in Atlanta should the future Hall of Famer retire. If he can't stay healthy, he will essentially become another Jeremy Shockey, which isn't necessarily the worst thing.

For a look at season recaps for the Atlanta Falcons, go here for easier access.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Can Chris Cooley Help Falcons Win Super Bowl? a Fan's Ta
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:39 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I was a Cooley fan a few years back, but the truth is, he hasn't been the same since his ankle injury.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:13 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Unles Gonzolas gets hurt, he will not have any more catches this year than Palmer would. The problem is not our depth at TE, but rather our girth at WR.

With Roddy, Julio, Gonzo, Jaquizz, & HD getting thier touches we only have 1 or 2 more attempts available each game. Not going to send you to the probowl (or in Cooley's case, get you the fat contract).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:28 pm 

Disagree about Cooley not having more catches than Palmer, albeit with the caveat that a healthy Cooley would outproduce Palmer. But the odds that Cooley is healthy probably are low enough that your point is probably true.

Palmer has looked good at the H-back position this summer, but I do think the Falcons offense could take a significant leap with a better player there. I still question whether Palmer has the skills, speed, and burst to beat man coverage on a fairly consistent basis. A healthy Cooley can, but a healthy Cooley probably doesn't exist at this point in his career.

We'll see what players become available. My bet is the Falcons will look for an inline blocker. Daniel Graham looks like he'll make the Saints team.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:02 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I agree that Cooley (if healthy) is a better player than Palmer, I just do not think we will include him in the offense enough to make a difference.

Profile E-mail