PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:30 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-bl ... ller-horn/

Post subject: Re: Cuts are in...couple surprises
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:10 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Yeah, I was a bit surprised by Franks, Meier, and Adkins. I can't say that I'm surprised about Meier... Franks comes as a pretty big shock... He was looking to be our PR... Adkins is just a special teamer, but a good one. He will land with someone. I think that Franks will land with someone as well.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:15 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Surprised that McClain made it over Franks.

Glad Polite won the FB job.

Sad to see Zelenka go. That guy has been money for 2.5 years. But figured it was possible since Harris made it past the first round of cuts. Harris can't mess up, or I'm going to be all over him this season.

Kevin Cone has all the talent in the world, but this guy's performance in the preseason just tells me he's an underachiever.

Only 5 LBs, makes me think they're going to try and sign someone.

Depth at WR and TE is still weak. Some upgrades over McCown are available at QB. Ovie got cut by the Rams. He shoudl be brought back at this point, because you can pretty much guarantee he'll come for the veteran minimum. We'll see if they make any moves for veteran players over the weekend.

Good job for Manley. I think he's played well in the preseason. Surprised he made the roster since I figured he was more likely a p-squad candidate.

Toone too has had a good summer after I thought he would be just a body to fill out the roster. He's a mediocre WR at best, but his value and potential on ST kind of reminds me a bit of Weems.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:54 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Franks was beat in coverage regularly and wasn't like you would expect he was getting schooled by 3rd stringers. Adkins never really showed that he was anything more than a ST player, but you can find big guys who can run in a straight line fast. I also believe that Kevin Cone has the ability to contribute on offense but he just doesn't look natural catching passes.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:58 am 

Franks was getting beat by 3rd stringers last summer. I chalk it up to him just being one of those players that doesn't shine in training camp. Vance Walker is the same way. But give him 4-5 weeks into the season and he'll start to play well.

I just don't get it because who is going to be our slot corner if Robinson goes down? McClain? Chris Owens? The Falcons have already tinkered with the Chris Owens Slot Experiment, and it led to the loss of all hands on deck, a nuclear meltdown, the cookies got burnt, and someone pooped the bed...twice.

This is what I'm talking about with issues of depth. McClain is a good special teams player, arguably better than Franks who never really did anything in coverage, and other than the Ravens game, was outplayed by Toone on punt returns the past 3 weeks. So I get that he got cut. But I don't get why McClain made it over him. McClain isn't better than Chris Owens. Franks was arguably better than Owens. So this is a downgrade IMO.

Unless the team goes out and signs someone like Joselio Hanson, then I don't get that move.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:32 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I thought Franks was better than Owens. As.a matter of fact, I wondered where Owens was until the cuts, I hadn't heard anything about him. I'm surprised he made the team, especially after the Samuel addition.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:59 pm 

Owens injured his hammy during Friday Night Lights, IINM. And I think the team took the same tact they did in 2010 with Dunta and held him out of practice/preseason games as much as possible to give it time to heal.

As a cover corner, I agree that Franks > Owens. But the thing that most people don't realize is that Owens is one of our better ST cover guys. Alongside Dent, Schillinger, Antone Smith, and Weems, he was one of our 5 best cover guys the past 2 years. If Dent plays more on defense and less on ST, and with Weems gone, I think it's why this team couldn't really afford to lose either Smith or Owens. Losing Schillinger could hurt, although I'm hopeful that Mitchell can fill in ably. Nicholas, Snelling, Biermann are also valuable ST players.

Franks in 16 games, never had a single stop on special teams. Compared to Darrin Walls, who in just 5 games made 1 stop.

But again, I worry about this team's depth. The 5 or 6 draft picks over the past 3 years that would be on this team that are not because of trades has undermined that. And the fact that we cut Franks, only undermines that further since he was one of the few late round picks that TD has picked that actually looked like he was potentially worth a damn.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:55 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Demarcus Van Dyke was cut by the Raiders he would have to have more upside than McClain.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:01 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Adkins wasn't a surprise. The staff wasn't satisfied with him being a pure STer and expected him to at least be able to make a contribution on Defense.

If preseason was any indication, Adkins was a lost cause. He looked dreadful on the field, especially in the 4th game.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:28 am 

The problem is outside Weatherspoon, none of the Falcons linebackers can cover. This is why we should have signed/drafted a nickel linebacker. We are an injury to Spoon away from having a terrible pass defense...

Adkins was never good in coverage. He's fast, but he's a very straight-line player that can't flip his hips and turn and cover. The fact was he was just a poor man's version of Stephen Nicholas with 4.5 speed.

My hope is Dent will be able to step up with added experience in coverage this year. But if not, then the middle of the Falcons defense could potentially be wide open this year as it has been the past 4 years.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:21 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
The problem is outside Weatherspoon, none of the Falcons linebackers can cover. This is why we should have signed/drafted a nickel linebacker. We are an injury to Spoon away from having a terrible pass defense...

Adkins was never good in coverage. He's fast, but he's a very straight-line player that can't flip his hips and turn and cover. The fact was he was just a poor man's version of Stephen Nicholas with 4.5 speed.

My hope is Dent will be able to step up with added experience in coverage this year. But if not, then the middle of the Falcons defense could potentially be wide open this year as it has been the past 4 years.

Once upon a time we had a cover LB named Michael Boley, and we decided not to re-sign him... he's now off winning Super Bowls.