It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What Happens Now?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:50 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

With the sad news about Grimes, what would you guys do about the situation? My plan would be to try out Owens on the outside for two games at least and see what happens. If it doesn't work though which is a good possibility then who is out there to trade for? We've seen the Falcons make a move to fix something when something is completely wrong like 2009 when Grimes and Chris Houston were getting destroyed in pre season. They picked up Brian Williams which had modest success. What would you guys do? Owens is going into a contract year where he either steps up or will be in the market for another team. Here's to hoping Owens somehow steps up but what guys are out there to pick up if it doesn't go well. Mike Jenkins seems like an obvious name but I hear money issues will prevent that.

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: What Happens Now?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:01 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Don't do anything. We don't have the depth to make any significant moves. If we start trading away top draft picks, we're just mortgaging the future. TD needs to find us a Foxworth. Perhaps we should give Cliff Harris a call. Let him know that this is his last shot. Shape up, or he's done.

Post subject: Re: What Happens Now?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:39 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

My plan if I were in TD's shoes would be to roll the dice with Owens and Franks off 2 weeks. Assuming they don't stink up the joint, in those 2 weeks, then they get another 2 weeks. If they don't stink it up for those 2 weeks, then they get 2 more weeks. By the end of that 3rd 2 week period, the trade deadline is about to hit. So you can then make a move. If they pass muster for that third 2-week period, then they can get 4 weeks, and so on and so forth.

I would spend this week bringing in whatever free agent corners are worth a look, telling the pro scouts to go back through the preseason tape and look at some of these CBs on other team's practice squads. And kick the tires again on some Mike Jenkins and Brad Fletcher tape to see if they are potential options, and my skeptimism of both is warranted.

That workout list, hopefully will be at least 3 or 4 guys that will be on speed dial based on how Owens/Franks perform. If/when Owens/Franks slips, then I'm making the phone call to the bullpen based on which of those workout players that i think still have soemthing left in the tank.

And yes, Brian Williams would probably be the first phone call I made. Again, with the intent of kicking his tires, not because I think he's going to actually help.

The goal is that either Owens or Franks will step up and play to a level where I could foresee them as a long-term replacement for Grimes and/or Robinson. Trying to answer these questions: "What if Grimes walks as an Unrestricted FA next year, do I think I can make it through 2013 with either Owens or Franks replacing him as a starter? 2014? 2015? Do I think I can be willing to pass on a top notch corner early in next year's draft because I'm 'content' with Owens/Franks? Are Owens/Franks good enough that I could potentially part ways with both Grimes and Robinson next year? Do I have one potential stopgap starter or two? How does Owens' play effect his potential market value come next March? How does Franks' play affect possible future trade value?"

But saying that, if TD trades for somebody or signs somebody, that could equally be just as fine a plan if he manages to find the right player.

Profile E-mail