It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:29 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is Matt Ryan Elite?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:26 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Emmitt asked me this question after the game, and I was wary of going there. I think Ryan is getting closer to that point, but I wouldn't call him elite yet.

But I figured I'd broach the question to the rest of the forum. Do you think Ryan is elite right now? Is the play we've seen from Ryan so far this year that of what you expect or believe an Elite QB plays at?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Is Matt Ryan Elite?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:43 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

If he wasn't a quarterback, he would be. Quarterback is such a demanding position and everything rides on you. When your team loses in the playoffs, it's on you even if your team allows 48 points (Packers 2011). I consider Roddy White elite even if he hasn't won a playoff game. I still consider Tony Gonzalez elite based on how well he's played over the past two years. Abraham and Samuel not playing great enough to be elite but they are very good. Until Ryan wins a playoff game, he won't be considered elite. Same thing happened with Aaron Rodgers and Phillip Rivers.

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:55 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Matt Ryan is elite. He is the best QB in the NFL right now. After today's game, tell me how many QB's you would start over Matt Ryan next week.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:04 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I'd say he is somewhere in the 5-7 range. He's playing great be he has two of the top ten receivers in the league out there, and the best tight end ever. That needs to be taken into consideration. Give any other of the top 5-7 qb's our weapons and they will look great too.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:12 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

RobertAP wrote:
Matt Ryan is elite. He is the best QB in the NFL right now. After today's game, tell me how many QB's you would start over Matt Ryan next week.

You make an excellent point. I couldn't agree more about Ryan being the best QB right now this season but people will always look at January.

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:48 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

DaveWaz wrote:
I'd say he is somewhere in the 5-7 range. He's playing great be he has two of the top ten receivers in the league out there, and the best tight end ever. That needs to be taken into consideration. Give any other of the top 5-7 qb's our weapons and they will look great too.

I can guarantee you that most of the QB's in the NFL could not do what Ryan did today with the kind of pressure that Ryan had to deal with. It doesn't matter who he's throwing to when he has someone in his face after 2 steps.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:17 am 

RobertAP wrote:
I can guarantee you that most of the QB's in the NFL could not do what Ryan did today with the kind of pressure that Ryan had to deal with.

True, but most QBs in the NFL aren't elite QBs. 8-) Aaron Rodgers and Ben Roethlisberger get sacked a ton and still play at a very high level.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:29 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
RobertAP wrote:
I can guarantee you that most of the QB's in the NFL could not do what Ryan did today with the kind of pressure that Ryan had to deal with.

True, but most QBs in the NFL aren't elite QBs. 8-) Aaron Rodgers and Ben Roethlisberger get sacked a ton and still play at a very high level.

You just named two of the NFL elite. Matt Ryan is doing what they do. Ryan is #2 in completion %, #1 in Passer Rating, #2 in TD's, and he's in the top 5 or 10 in every other significant statistic. I doubt that Ryan's, 'elite status,' will be in question by year's end. I'm not saying that he's going to break any records, but people will consider him to be one of the best in the game.

I forgot to mention, most game winning drives in the NFL since 2008.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:58 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I think he's finally in an offense (and with a mindset) where he can show he's elite by the end of the year.

Still need better OL play, and depth at receiver to truly utilize MRs talent, but I think he's showing that the people who thought he 'could' be elite were probably right.

I'd say he's looked top 5 this season. A few more deep passes, a few more targets involved...seems like he can be really really good. I need to see a whole season before I say elite, but he's on that trajectory. And I'm ecstatic to see him throwing some balls up for his receivers to make plays.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:43 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Gotta give some props to Birdbrain here as he said not long after we drafted him that in five years he would be a top five QB. I don't know that he is there yet but he is knocking at the door. He needs to beat some of the best teams consistently to be top five. That was a truly gutty performance from Matt yesterday. So much semantics with all of this stuff but I think elite comes with sustained success. In truth, he has had that as the Falcs have more wins than any team since his arrival if memory serves. That's remarkable. Of course, the same BB said during the Vick Wars that team wins were not admissable evidence to greatness. I disagreed then and I disagree now. I guess th elast two playoff games, unfortunately, are about the most lopsided losses of his career. For the most part, he keeps us in every game. What more can you ask? I must say those who said his evolution would not be fulfilled without a different O philosophy were correct.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:08 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Elite? Not sure yet. We need a greater sample size. But is he a tier 1 QB? Absolutely yes.