It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:06 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: IR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:58 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-bl ... le-injury/

FLOWERY BRANCH – The Falcons issued their longest injury report of the season Wednesday.

Tight end Michael Palmer (shoulder), starting linebacker Stephen Nicholas (ankle) and running back Antone Smith (hamsgtring) did not practice. Palmer has been ruled out of Sunday’s game against Oakland, while Falcons coach Mike Smith is hopeful that Nicholas will return to practice on Thursday.

Seven other players were limited in practice: Defensive tackle Jonathan Babineaux (groin), wide receiver Kevin Cone (knee), wide receiver Drew Davis (knee), defensive tackle Peria Jerry (thigh), center Todd McClure (pectoral), cornerback Dunta Robinson (shoulder) and safety William Moore (hip).

Nicholas suffered the ankle injury against Washington on Sunday. He returned to the game, but couldn’t push off well on the ankle.

The defense could be hampered if Nicholas can’t play. He has had a hand in three of the Falcons’ 14 takeaways, including an interception, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery.

“Stephen has had a good start to the year,” Smith said. “We are certainly hoping that he’s going to be able to get back. We’ll know more and more as the week goes on. If he’s not, we’ve got to make adjustments and we’ll do that. We have guys who have played his position, a number of guys that are trained to play the [strongside] position and the dime.”

Veteran linebacker Mike Peterson is the team’s top linebacker reserve and would see action if Nicholas doesn’t rebound quickly.

*does this mean Corey Peters is cleared to play? Also up 5-0 this close to a bye, I say rest Nicholas, or use him sparingly.

Post subject: Re: IR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:01 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

As far as I know, Peters won't be cleared to play until next Monday at the earliest. I'm not sure if coming off the NFI there is a roster exemption like I think there is with the PUP, where there is like a 2-week grace period where a guy can practice but won't eat up a roster spot.

Yeah, I would probably sit Nicholas as well. I think this Oakland game is going to be a very important game for Akeem Dent. I thought he was really bad in the Redskin game. He looked lost. I thought he was decent vs. SD & CAR, and it may have just been one bad game. But I think if Nicholas sits, you get Dent more reps and you get a much longer look. Because another poor game, and I think the Falcons need to start thinking about making a move at MLB, and maybe Peterson gets more reps in the base package.

I'd rather give Nicholas 2 weeks to heal his ankle and hopefully get him back close to 100% for the remainder of the season than risk him playing at like 80% the rest of the year.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: IR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:24 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Totally agree about Dent. He was lost trying to find space to make tackles and getting eat up by blockers. He needs to shine in a game where Raiders aren't going to use a lot of three receiver sets.

Is Michael Palmer going to be back for Philly? I'm not a fan of only two tight ends on the roster and it's getting annoying.

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail