It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:20 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: some thoughts on yesterdays win and the upcoming SNF
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:36 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

remember years ago when Smitty rushed back Turner too soon, and he injured himself worse?

I recall him stepping up and admitting his error and he promised he would learn from this mistake and not do it again...

Well, I hope he remembers this when he starts thinking about Spoon.

I know it's 'foggy' and D Led is tweeting that Spoon is fine, minor ankle injury, but I have a bad feeling about this.

IMO, even if Spoon is 75%, I sit him for the Cowboys game. My thinking is even if he just rolled it up, I would not use him. The position and his style of play is such that I really think he could reinjure himself worse, and set up a Saints nightmare a week later. Something about a prime time game in the Dome just leads me to feel this way. Just a gut feeling. I almost think a loss here (dont flame me) isn't then end of the world so we dont go into the Superdome feeling all uppity and overconfident...Im obviously rooting for the win!

I watched from a sports bar so I couldn't see the specifics, but it looked like Konz was on the field. How did he look?

Also I think Corey Peters did a pretty good job yesterday and Im glad to have him back.

Im thoroughly enjoying the drama following ol dogkilla. It just gets better and better. Heard the fans there were chanting 'Fire Andy Reid!' so loud it came over the telecast. Good times...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-o ... -his-watch

"I have two secret weapons -- my legs, my arms and my brain."

-- Michael Vick

Post subject: Re: some thoughts on yesterdays win and the upcoming SNF
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:02 am 
Superstar
Superstar

It depends how Weatherspoon is practicing. If he's able to practice, you got to play him. I remember with Turner, he wasn't really practicing and was rushed back. I'd say Weatherspoon has to practice at least two days to show if he's ready. I'm hesitant on using Weatherspoon because he's my pick for defensive MVP this year. DeCoud would be runner up right now.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:17 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Just as long as it's not season-ending injury...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:06 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I didn't get the feeling that the Spoon injury was that bad. I think he twinked his ankle a little on the slide. It didn't get turned around in a bad direction or anything. I think that the cart was precaution because it was raining.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:38 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

MRI coming for Weatherspoon on Monday

Posted by Mike Florio on October 29, 2012, 7:20 AM EDT

Reuters
The only negative arising from Sunday’s 30-17 win by the Falcons over the Eagles came from a cart ride taken by linebacker Sean Weatherspoon in the second half.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Weatherspoon will have an MRI on Monday. It’s believed for now that he’ll be OK, and that the ankle sprain is only minor.

I would still sit him. Even if it's a minor high sprain. Like I said a 75% Spoon vs reinjury, I play it safe. Yeah, Witten is going to abuse Dent, but honestly: at 7-0, staring down the back half of the season, it is time to play it 'smart'.. I just have a bad feeling that running Spoon back out there so soon is a bad idea. I know Pudge will disagree with me :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:31 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I don't disagree. If he's hurt, rest him. But if he feels that he's ready, I'm not going to stop him.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:11 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Stick Nicholas on Witten. I'm starting to become a Steven Nicholas fan boy that I think he can do anything. He'll probably get abused but anything is better than Dent. Dent didn't look half bad yesterday but please hide him against Witten.

Thank god about Weatherspoon, it still bugs me that Grimes is out for the season. Sometimes i get too emotionally attached to how good a player is playing like Grimes did in 2010-2011 or Spoon for past year and half.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:23 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

RobertAP wrote:
I don't disagree. If he's hurt, rest him. But if he feels that he's ready, I'm not going to stop him.

well, the problem here is that most of these players in the NFL are always going to 'want' to hit the field, even if they are only 75% ( unless it's a playoff game and your contract is up :wink: )..Micheal Turner was begging to go back in too early, and if memory serves he hurt himself worse ( groin?).

The thing that keeps me up at night is seeing him go down this sunday, only to know we face the Saints a week later. I think getting an MRI is just playing it safe: but it could also mean it's more then just a 'minor sprain'. The way this works out poorly is if Spoon is not 100% and they shoot it up and send him out there, the way he plays with his closing speed and the way he likes to hit: when you dont have one of your ankles in tune then sometimes these kind of athletes overcompensate and end up hitting someone wrong or getting themselves dinged up.

Maybe there is a way to use him in rotation? If he's 75%? I guess that could work... :?:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:20 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

If he's 75%, I wouldn't use him. 75% means that he can play, but he'll be playing with pain. The doctors can tell if the injury is healed or not. If it's not healed, he doesn't play.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:04 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I don't disagree with you fun Gus. Your theory is sound. It just really boils down to the nature of the injury and it's severity.

The problem of course is that Jason Witten is probably going to destroy Nicholas and William Moore. Defending TEs has been a problem for us this year even with a healthy Spoon. Brandon Myers can attest to that.

Profile E-mail