It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:11 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vick attending Miami's camp
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:59 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2430107

I hope he sticks it out. I mean I know he's done a lot of bad stuff, but I still hope he can make it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:10 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

If he does land in Miami, then he will be a steal for them. Mark my words, he will be great, if given the chance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:07 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

It seems that a lot of NFL teams would rather see him play in Canada or the Arena Leagues for a year or two before they take a chance on him ala A.J. McPherson.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:36 am 
Superstar
Superstar

If he does land in Miami, then he will be a steal for them. Mark my words, he will be great, if given the chance.

- I agree. I mean if pep like Brad Smith, McNeal, Hagans and Robinson all got drafted, esp Hagans in the fifth, then he really should get a shot somewhere. Considering how strict Saban is, I think it's kinda telling that he's willing to get him a shot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:52 am 

Miami is definintely one of the best landing pads for Marcus. Saban is a hard nose coach and the team has a lot of veteran leadership. With Ricky-be-Ricky gone on suspension there is nobody that can really mess him up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:22 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

- Sounds about as good as he could have hoping for up to this point. I'll be curious to see what happens after the sit-down...

Associated Press

DAVIE, Fla. -- On a field filled with NFL prospects, Marcus Vick looked smaller than his listed height of 6 feet, especially when he crouched behind center to take a snap.

"It was kind of crazy seeing him over there," said linebacker Sam McGrew, who played against Vick in college. Now they're teammates -- for the weekend, anyway -- at the Miami Dolphins' rookie minicamp.

Bypassed in the draft last week following a turbulent, abbreviated career at Virginia Tech, Vick eagerly accepted coach Nick Saban's invitation to take part in the three-day camp. The audition began Friday, and Saban stressed there's no guarantee that Vick has a future in Miami beyond Sunday.

"It's a date," Saban said. "We're not getting married."

Vick was one of three quarterbacks taking part in the camp, which included other undrafted free agents, a handful of unsigned veterans and the Dolphins' six draft picks. The scramble for spots on the roster began with the offense running three plays over and over in the first practice.

Vick looked fast and elusive -- but small.

"The guy has obviously got a lot of ability," Saban said. "We certainly thought he had the potential to contribute at some position in the NFL."

That position might be as a kick returner or receiver, if not as a quarterback. While deciding where Vick might play, Saban will gauge his personality and attitude.

The brother of Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick, the younger Vick had repeated brushes with the law at Virginia Tech and was kicked off the team in January after his junior season.

"The guy is a tremendous competitor," Saban said. "Maybe sometimes he hasn't channeled his emotions in the right direction as a competitor, and that's probably a maturity issue and obviously something he needs to work on.

"I haven't had a sit-down with him. But that will be part of the process of evaluating him."

Also among the unsigned players trying out was veteran Kyle Turley, who has battled back trouble and last played in 2003 for the St. Louis Rams. He's trying to make a switch from tackle to tight end, and his weight is listed at 260 pounds.

"Here's a player who has had some success in this league," Saban said. "It's an opportunity for us to look at him and see if he does have any potential as a tight end."

Saban declined to let Vick, Turley or other unsigned players speak with reporters. But McGrew, a former Florida State star, offered an endorsement of Vick.

"Marcus Vick is a great guy. He's one of those guys that if you give him time, I believe he'll be a team leader," said McGrew, who played against Vick in the Atlantic Coast Conference championship game last season.

"When we played against him, I saw how he got his guys up and he was hyping them like, 'Let's go, let's go, come on, get everything right!' Seeing that, that lets you know what type of player and guy he is."

Vick sat out the 2004 season for disciplinary reasons, then passed for 2,393 yards and 17 touchdowns last year. Saban decided to give him a shot after talking this week with Virginia Tech coach Frank Beamer.

"Some guys have a lot to offer athletically, and other issues create concerns about whether they're the kind of people you want on your team, and how they affect the team chemistry and affect this organization," Saban said. "But we're also about giving people opportunities."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:53 pm 

I heard on NFL Live that Vick doesn't stand a chance to get a contract from Miami.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 8:42 pm 

Well he just signed with them today.

Profile E-mail