It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Good ell optimistic about new Falcon stadium
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:00 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I feel sorry for all the ST holders on the site. PSLs are coming.

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-bl ... ium-issue/

Atlanta Falcons: Goodell met with Gov. Deal, Mayor Reed to discuss stadium issue
7:56 pm November 5, 2012, by D. Orlando Ledbetter

Atlanta Rotary club president Steve Hennessy, Wes Durham, Arthur Blank, Roger Goodell and Rich McKay today. (By D. Orlando Ledbetter/DLedbetter@ajc.com)

After speaking with fans, business and political leaders, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is optimistic that the Falcons will get a new retractable roof stadium to replace the Georgia Dome.

“There is a recognition that it’s the right thing to do and they are going through a very healthy process to find a solution that is going to work for all parties,” Goodell said after speaking to the Rotary Club of Atlanta on Monday.

Goodell met with fans before the Falcons played the Dallas Cowboys at the Georgia Dome on Sunday.

He met with Gov. Nathan Deal and Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed on Monday morning to discuss the stadium issue.

The NFL and the Falcons are interested in a public-private partnership that would help the Falcons generate additional revenues through a new stadium.

Goodell said new stadiums built for the Cowboys and the New York Jets and Giants are state of the art and have essentially made the 20-year old Georgia Dome obsolete.

He also acknowledged that personal seat licenses have been a great way for teams to raise part of the revenue needed to fund the new stadiums. He did note that some stadiums have sections of seats that are not subject to a seat license.

“When you are going to approach a complex project like this, there is always a lot about what is the right thing and the wrong thing,” Goodell said. “What should be the participation level in the public-private partnership? Where to build it? What to build?”

Goodell’s optimism is based on the meetings he had with several of the involved parties, including Deal and Reed.

“I think their process over a long period of time has been very healthy,” Goodell said. “There is a good opportunity and the NFL wants to be a part of creating something very special. We want to be a part of this community for a long time. We hope that wherever they put the stadium, they make it a bigger and better place.”

Goodell has been the commissioner of the NFL since 2006. Under his administration the league has negotiated a 10-year labor agreement with the players, recently settled an eight-year agreement with the officials and has negotiated multi-billion dollar television deals with their media partners.

“We now are in a better position to be able to provide league-wide funding to help Arthur Blank’s private contribution,” Goodell said. “That will be coming from 31 other owners, which is unique to football.”

Blank introduced Goodell at the luncheon.

“This commissioner spends time with the fans, talking to them, listening to them and responding to them and being honest with them about the state of the game,” Blank said. “The other thing that I’ll say about this commissioner is that it’s a very difficult job. I appreciate his ability to lead and his ability to listen before he makes decisions.”

Blank was understandably giddy about the 8-0 Falcons, the league’s lone remaining undefeated team.

“People are always asking me ‘how does it feel to be undefeated?’,” Blank said. “If you’re 8-0 and you can’t be happy, you have a real serious problem. I’m very, very happy.”

Before meeting with Deal and Reed, Goodell had breakfast with several retired NFL players.

“It’s been a very successful last 24 hours,” Goodell said. “I’ve been able to get a very good understanding of what’s going on here in Atlanta. Obviously, when you’re 8-0, that helps everyone’s attitude.”

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Good ell optimistic about new Falcon stadium
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:18 am 
Superstar
Superstar

This ain't New York, PSL's aren't gonna sell, I'm fine with a new stadium, but the raping of rich fans isn't going to be the same, as there are far less who are either 1. Rich as **** or that care enough to blow wads of extra dough. This barely worked in the new Giants/Jets stadium where people make more than anywhere else in the country, not gonna work in Atlanta.

Post subject: Re: Good ell optimistic about new Falcon stadium
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:36 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

DaveWaz wrote:
This ain't New York, PSL's aren't gonna sell, I'm fine with a new stadium, but the raping of rich fans isn't going to be the same, as there are far less who are either 1. Rich as **** or that care enough to blow wads of extra dough. This barely worked in the new Giants/Jets stadium where people make more than anywhere else in the country, not gonna work in Atlanta.

boots on the ground here, but if The Falcons win a Superbowl before the construction is completed: I GAYRON DAMN TEE we will see PSL's. It's a lock.

They have to secure a postseason win before it will be feasible to try it, though.