It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Players landing in the right spot
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:06 pm 

Found this article over on SI.com about the 5 best fits for rookies and 5 worst fits for rookies. Among the best fits was one Jimmy Williams:

SI.com wrote:
5. Jimmy Williams, CB, Atlanta: Forget that this kid slid out of the first round. The Falcons needed someone to match up with taller receivers, and he's big enough to do that. He can team up with Pro Bowl starter DeAngelo Hall or he can line up in nickel situations, where his size should make him an effective blitzer. Either way, he should benefit from the talent around him and draw upon the experience of such veterans as Hall and recently signed safety Lawyer Milloy.

Other best Fits: Leinart in Zona, Ngata in Baltimore, Carpenter in Dallas, and McCargo in Buffalo

5 players in the wrong situation: Davis in San Francisco, Hali in Kansas City, Huff in Oakland, Holmes in Pittsburgh, and Fasano in Dallas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:24 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I agree with that assessment. Williams has 1st round talent at a larger than normal size for a CB. He will give us depth and talent. I guess if he struggles at CB, which I doubt he will, we can move him to S once Milloy is done. Seriously though, we are looking at CB tandom that can lock down the best WR tandoms in the NFL. With Web coming in as a nickle (after Williams takes his starting job), we will be able to shutdown 3 WR sets as well. Couple that with our improved pass rush and a healthy LB corp, and you have an amazing looking defense on paper. I think our run defense will be the key. If we return to being one of the best run defenses in the NFL, this will be one of the toughest defenses to face. That means putting the ball in Vick's hands more as well. And that is not what most coaches want to see, except for maybe our own. :lol: