It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:32 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Duckett to MIA?
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 1:03 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

- Don't know if anyone had seen this? Prob won't happen though.

Mike (MIAMI): Who will be running the ball for us next year??? Don't we only have ronnie brown? I was shocked we didn't pick up a back in the draft... Is Saban going to bring someone in???? Like his guy from college at Michigan State, TJ Duckett???

Mike Wilkening: (4:05 PM ET ) I wouldn't worry about the prospect of Ronnie Brown getting more work. I think he'll be among the NFL's rushing leaders. But yes, the RB depth is a problem. Duckett's on the block, but I don't know if it's worth it to Miami to trade a draft pick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:11 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

sheezus Duckett's value has plummetted!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:18 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Our best bet is to give him this season to play his value back up to where it should be. He could increase his stock again in this his contract year, and then we can get compensation for him should someone else sign him. Otherwise, he might become a cheap goalline RB for us if we resign him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 5:47 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I seriously doubt we trade Duckett....

I think we will keep him around this year to be our goal line back and then let him walk at the end of the season...to be honest I'd rather not only have Norwood and Dunn when we are one the three yard line...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 6:07 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Yeah, i think we'll keep him until he asks for more than he's worth. We will have him after dunn retires. Thats my thought of him

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:43 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

If the Falcons can get a 1st day pick for Duckett, then I see us trading him. But I don't see any team at this point offering that much for him, barring the injury of their lead rusher. Even then, that's a lot to give up for a player that may be on your team for just a single year.

You have to love some of the things Duckett brings to the table. He was 2nd in the league behind Mike Anderson in terms of getting positive yardage this year per carry (Dunn ranked 5th). He was tied for the best in the league with Corey Dillon for success rushing inside the 3-yard line and 5th when rushing inside the 10. He's not perfect, but he is one of the best short-yardage/goalline backs in the league.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 2:06 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Duckett could be alot more too. when Reeves was coaching the team the Diesel looked like a baller. i remember him catching screen passes in space and making defensive backs look like 2nd graders. i just don't think the guy is being used appropriately. either that or how about this, is he the type of runner that will be successful in a cut blocking scheme?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:53 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Goaline yes, much more no. I hate how it seems like he goes down with the first sign of contact. Body wise he compares to the bus, but he sure hasn't run like the bus as far as breaking tackles, fighting for extra yards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:18 pm 
Starter
Starter

Yes, Duckett was very good inside the goal line at time, but I also remeber several games where Duckett would miss a 3rd and 1, and then the geniols Greg Knapp called for Ducckett again on 4th down and he missed. The Chicago comes to mind, and I know there were others. Duckett sucks even at short yardage when it matters the most.

With that said, I too wouldn't trade him unless we get a 1st day pick , and I doubt anyone would be dumb enough to give that up. We will probably end up keeping him for this season, and more than likely we will get the same old Duckett.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:48 pm 

Duckett's abilities definitely dropped off at the end of the year. I'm sure people can come up with a 100 reasons why. All I know is that despite probably not being used as often as in the past, the first half of 2005 I saw T.J. Duckett playing at the highest level I've seen him play at. Hopefully he can bounce back. It's a shame that he'll probably walk away after this season, and the Falcons having squandered 2 offseasons to trade him, but I don't consider Duckett a bust. The entire time he's been in Atlanta, he's basically been a square peg in a round hole.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:53 pm 
Starter
Starter

True

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:17 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

• The Browns' second-day selection of running back Jerome Harrison is a clear signal Lee Suggs' time in Cleveland is just about over. There's a sense the Browns have tired of Suggs' inability to stay healthy. Look for Suggs to be on the trading block in training camp.

- Just an idea, but this would be a good person to trade for Duckett. He was all world in college, he'd just had the injury bug over and over again since in the nfl. If he could ever stay healthy then who knows? He never got the tout, but he was ever bit as good as Kevin Jones when he came out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:26 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

- blurb i ran across...

T.J. Duckett, RB ATL

News: The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports T.J. Duckett is now off the market. The Steelers are said to be interested in the veteran back.

Analysis: Atlanta might reduce their asking price for Duckett if rookie RB Jerious Norwood is solid during minicamp and can complement starter Warrick Dunn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:14 am 

If a team doesn't offer at least a 3rd round pick, it's not worth it for the Falcons to trade Duckett. His presence as a complement to Dunn alone is worth at least a 4th round pick, even if it means he only contributes 400-500 yards this year. He makes up for it by the 27 TDs he's scored the past 3 years.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 10:48 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

I agree with Pudge, but for a different reason. Let's assume that Duckett tears it up this year and puts up good numbers (either through a Dunn injury or a contract year motivation). When he departs next year, we will at least get some kind of compensation through the NFL picks process. It depends on what kind of deal he gets on the open market.

As of now, there isn't much difference between the rumored 5th round pick the Steelers offered and none at all. However, a training camp injury to another team or him leaving after a decent season could significantly upgrade that pick.

"They have miscalculated me as a leader."

President George W. Bush

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 1:04 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

That's quite a big risk to take...I think he is worth around a 6-7th rounder in the compensation pool, and if we can get a 5th for him then we have done just as well if not better...of course we get his "services" for a year if we don't trade him.....which i think is where management is leaning.

Profile E-mail