It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: a little copper lining..
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:02 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

I think Vance Walker has played himself into possibly being the NT needed for NOlan to switch to the 4-3 next season. Also, I know it was somewhat embarrassing to see Peters and Biermann whiffing on tackling SuperCam, but at least they were putting some pressure on him.

Peria Jerry is a total bust. He isn't even good enough for JAG. He is damn near a liability. He can stay around for depth, for about 900k since were already on the hook. But I cut his sorry a$$ in '14.

Post subject: Re: a little copper lining..
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:10 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Jerry is a goner, the only other major flop by Dmitiroff was that pick. Peters is always working his tail off but not finishing that play still gives me nightmares. Really frustrating.

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:17 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

As long as he held Cam up there you woukd have thought someone could come along and finish him off. Abe was highly ineffectual yesterday.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:52 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

backnblack wrote:
As long as he held Cam up there you woukd have thought someone could come along and finish him off. Abe was highly ineffectual yesterday.

Couldn't agree more, he looked like he couldn't be more disinterested. He was getting tossed around on several occasions. I'm sure this will only be a one game thing, can't see the Falcons being this uninspired against the Giants next week. I still remembering seeing Abraham on the sidelines in the fourth quarter last year almost in tears. He'll be fired up for the Giants for sure.

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:49 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I don't think the Falcons have a real nose tackle on their team. I think if they had to make due, they could put Walker there and rotate him with Peters. I don't know how much of it is still lingering issues with the foot, but Peters just isn't that disruptive a player. I don't think he's ever been.

Man, we missed an opportunity by passing on Geno Atkins, who has morphed into arguably the league's best interior pass rusher.

Peters I think needs to bulk up to be a nose tackle. He has a very thick lower half, which you like to see in those run pluggers, because it means they can anchor. Peters just doesn't have great hands or quickness off the ball. He's listed at 6-3/305 and is probably about that, with about 285 of that being in his butt and thighs. To make an effective rotational NT he probably would need to add at least another 10-15 pounds of muscle.

I just don't think he'll ever be the reliably disruptive player that we need to take over for Babineaux. If the Falcons are looking for someone that can be a consistent and effective interior pass rusher that isn't 30+ years old, they don't have it on this roster.

Looking at last year, Peters had 6 PPRs (POsitive Pass Rushes = Sacks + Pressures + Hits) in the first 8 games. Then he only had 4 in the final 8. Babineaux had 8 in the last 8 games last year.

Fast forward to this year, Babineaux has 9.5 PPRs in the last 8 games. Peters has 0 in 7 games.

While it's not going to be talked about as a high need, if a good DT is available in the draft, particularly one that could be molded into a dominant 3-4 DE, then the Falcons should jump all over him.

People often think that NT is the critical position in a 3-4 defense. No, it's DE. If you can have a dominant presence at one of those DE spots, you have a much higher correlation to great 3-4 defenses than you do if you have a good NT.

Look at the Pats defense over the years. When did they stop being good? Oh, right about the time they got rid of Richard Seymour. Aaron Smith was the catalyst in Pittsburgh, when he was healthy, they were an elite defense. When he was not, they were less than that. We've seen Justin Smith and J.J. Watt in SF and Houston, respectively. Go back to Wade's defenses in Buffalo with Bruce Smith. Baltimore with Haloti Ngata, who people often think of as a NT, but he actually plays the DE spot in their system. Even lesser 3-4 defenses like the Cardinals, with Campbell and Dockett are the catalysts, not Dan Williams.

The beautiful thing is that Babineaux has taken much more to playing DE than I think most (well at least myself) could imagine. We need to find his successor.

The bottom line is the Falcons either this off-season or the next one (Babs is signed through 2013 I believe), the Falcons need to find the guy that in the middle is going to be that force. IMHO, he is not currently on the roster. Between Peters, Walker, Robertson, and Jerry the Falcons have rotational guys. Nobody that on their own can potentially take over a game. Babineaux has done that multiple times over the years.

It's the exact same situation with DE and Abe. Abe is the only guy that can "slant" a game. Everybody else are complementary players. But that's the story of our entire defense, but it's especially apparent up front, which is why we've struggled there over the entirety of Mike Smith's tenure.

Profile E-mail