It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nolan to get serious looks as head coach candidate
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:26 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP ... -6563.html

Dan Pompei wrote:
*Front office men are taking another look at Mike Nolan as a serious head coaching candidate, and many have come to the conclusion he deserves a second chance. Nolan’s body of work as the Falcons’ defensive coordinator this year is pretty impressive. He has had five games against top 10 quarterbacks this year (two against Drew Brees, on against Robert Griffin III, one against Peyton Manning and one against Philip Rivers). Their cumulative passer rating against the Falcons is 61.3. Manning threw three interceptions. RGIII threw for 91 yards. Rivers didn’t throw a touchdown pass but threw two interceptions. Brees had the only good game against the Nolan defense, but in the second meeting between the teams Brees was picked off five times. And Nolan has not accomplished this with an all-star cast. It’s a tribute to his coaching

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Nolan to get serious looks as head coach candidate
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:14 pm 

I don't doubt that Nolan will get sniffs and probably find a new head coaching opportunity. Sometimes, I think, certain guys are just better as coordinators and Nolan I think is one of those guys.

It doesn't matter though... The first head coaching gig he gets he's gone. I wouldn't be surprised if that was somewhere like San Diego.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:01 pm 

I don't know enough about Nolan's tenure in SF to really judge him as a coach. But they never really put together a great team there from a personnel standpoint.

They did lay the groundwork for a lot of the current success the 49ers are having as players like Frank Gore, Vernon Davis, Joe Staley, Justin Smith, Patrick Willis were all added during Nolan's tenure there.

But when Alex Smith is your QB, you're not going to go very far. At least the Alex Smith that was there back then.

So I could see a team convincing itself, "If we get the right GM, Mike Nolan could be a much more effective head coach."

I would imagine his possibilities would range from TEN, KC, SD, CAR, and ARI. I don't think he has a shot at either CLE, PHI, or DAL should those jobs come available. But if there are like 8 openings, then the odds increase he gets a job. If it just winds up being 4 or 5, then probably not.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:36 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I just think Mike Nolan is a " high maintenance guy" When you were head Coach of three Big College programs; then have 7 or 8 Defensive Coordinator jobs; I guess his longest stay was with the 49ers .....

18 wins and 37 losses is not very impressive.

When he was Gm & Head Coach with Frisco it was too much about him....Not picking Aaron Rogers and saying he " didn't think their personalities would mesh" is hindsight; but something I wouldn't want to admit too.

In Frisco they were so glad to get rid of him I don't think they let him coach but about 6 or so games before being fired in mid-season!!

I really remember him more than most because I was surprised they hired someone just like him in Mike Singletary; with the same drama.

I personally don't think he's cut out to be a head coach and the best thing he has going for him is he's shut up!! In the NFL; owners will make up reasons to hire people so he's got a good shot at being hired.

If I had 20-1 odds I bet he'd replaced Mike Smith. Nolan is hung up about wearing suits on the sidelines (like his dad ) so if the Falcons
really dive that should be reason enough for Blank to hire someone
like himself; and we'd go back to the 60s (: