It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ten Players To Watch
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:06 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Just recently, I got accepted into writing for Bleacher Report. This is my 2nd article on the site and first for football. Here is a preview for Giants-Falcons game looking at ten key players to watch. Its a different look at the game. No idea why the URL is messed up, hope it doesn't happen again.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1443 ... nickelback

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Ten Players To Watch
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:19 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Basic, but accurate and effective. Nice job.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:54 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

:up:

Particularly nice write-ups on Boley & McClain.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:47 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

nice work Emmit!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:28 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

It takes guts to perform in front of others, and I congratulate you on a byline well earned (Are you short a vowel or two in there?)

Not to sound too much like a high school English teacher (almost break almost break almost break), but

Style:

The personal detail about Abe's expression during the playoff game is great.

You consistently sound knowledgeable and interested in your topic, and have impressive depth comparing opposing players across their season. You don't sound like some fan just throwing their thoughts and observations at the wall; the interest in football itself comes through, and you are fairly objective (Julio's hands :D ) about the team, at least in my subjective opinion.

Your paragraph organization is very good; however, I'd like to see a little more structure variety in your sentence structure. That's me, a lit studies/creative writing major, speaking, and your journalism profs may say otherwise; I don't often write and have never trained in a journalistic approach to grammar.

Content:

I might mention Wilson's fumbling history and ATL,s difficulty with new back and quick backs, and he's both. They did a nice job against TB, but NY has a much better OL. However, you covered a lot of good ground in your piece.

Astute observation comparing McClain and Brown.

I'd really argue that Julio's hands and focus--especially at home--are big issues.

If it's a one-score game, I think ATL wins. I'd be really shocked if the Giants don't bring it, but ATL can hang if they all show up . . . DT, OG, . . . everyone. The 31-17 is a pretty good guess if ATL doesn't show up in all aspects.

Again, fantastic job, Emmitt: It's a strong analysis that covers the basics of the match-up and develops far beyond that into and interested, personal, and pretty comprehensive look at each player within the space allowed.

I offer my apologies if this is more response than you wanted, but it is what you offer yourself up to when you publish.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:34 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Great writing Emmitt. One thing really caught my eye though... Regarding Julio Jones, you said that he can't be regarded as a bust... I don't think anyone has ever claimed that he was a bust, or anything close to it. The argument is that the Falcons gave up too much to acquire him. That's different from him being a bust. I have never thought that JJ would be a bust. However, I did think (and still do) that we would have been a better team had we stayed the course, and had worked on our offensive and defensive lines with the picks that we gave up for Julio.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:25 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Sorry for responding late fellas, been busy. Thanks for praise really appreciate it.

Samedi- Wow awesome response and totally like it. I always like criticism, it helps the growth. After talking two hours with Pudge and Scott about the game, this game really lies on the offensive line. Sure defense is important too but they usually step up at home. My last name has no vowels, just for your curiosity. Yes its weird but thats how it is.

Robert- Fair enough, I've just heard the bust word used around one too many times not on this site but just in general.

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail