It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: From ESPN insider
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:29 pm 
Starter
Starter

• Sources in Charlotte, N.C., tell us that there might already be tension between diva wide receivers Steve Smith and Keyshawn Johnson. We hear Smith said the two talented talkers are going to "agree to disagree." They are two larger-than-life personalities who can coexist on the field, but don't expect them to be good buddies off it.

MEShawn is at it again...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:32 pm 
Starter
Starter

I disagree. I don't think Keyshawn is that bad of a guy. I am sure ESPN is hoping for something bad to happen between him and Steve Smith just so they can talk about non-stop on all their show. I mean they have to have a backup just incase TO behaves this year.

Keyshawn is a strong competitor who wants to win. That's all. I actually thought he would have been a great fit for Atlanta when he got cut.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:48 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

It's interesting to me because of how close Steve Smith and Chad Johnson are, and Keyshawn and Chad are cousins. So it's nothing new for Smith to team up with strong personalities before, because he and Chad were on the same junior college team. But then again, Keyshawn is not the same type of personality as his cousin. Keyshawn's attitude historically has alienated many of his teammates.

Ultimately it's probably going to be meaningless, since it's more about a WR relationship with the QB than to each other, but the more disunity in Carolina, the better for us.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:56 am 
Superstar
Superstar

but the more disunity in Carolina, the better for us.

- Yup

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:24 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Smith is just stirring things up,...he knew what to say and knew the media would take it out of context, as they always do to sell their product.

One thing to remember,...we know the Panthers run a conservative offense,...it's run oriented and that takes touches away from the receivers. Smith is one of the best and the Panthers gameplan him bigtime. That won't leave many touches for Johnson,...so,...we'll see how this plays out.

We'll also see how Johnson likes being a blocking WR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:07 pm 

Yep. When Muhammad was playing with Smith, he was a limited factor in their offense. He only was a big deal when Smith was not lining up across him.

Keyshawn as it stands now would be lucky to catch 60 passes thsi year if Smith manages to play all 16 games. He's not going to be a huge factor in their offense, but nonetheless he can cause some damage to our defense. When your best options in slowing him down are a 5-9.5 Jason Webster or the better matchup Jimmy WIliams, but in his first NFL game, it doesn't look good. With our coverages gravitating towards stopping Smith, it makes Keyshawn's impact much bigger than it seems at face value. I don't expect him to catch even 5 or 6 passes, but if he can make 2 or 3 key grabs on 3rd downs to keep drives alive, that's where his biggest impact is going to be: as a big possession target over the middle of the field. That's what he did in Dallas and Tampa Bay, and New York, and I don't really see why he won't do so in Carolina, especially considering he has a better complementary receiver in Smith than he did in any of those places.

Kudos to John Fox and the Panthers front office. They have done a great job with that team over the past 5 years. They make great moves in the off-season that makes their team better, something we've only recently begun to do under McKay. Whether its Keyshawn, Ken Lucas, Ma'ak Kemoeatu, Thomas Davis, DeAngelo Williams, Mike Wahle, or whoever, they make it very hard for us to keep up with them. I don't think it's a coincidence that 2002 and 2004 were our best years, and 2003 and 2005 were their best years. In '02 and '04, they had injury and inconsistency issues, in '03 and '05 we had similar issues. So it seems to alternate, that it seems like there is only room for 1 in the NFC South in a given year.

From a historical perspective, I think you still have to believe the Saints are the Falcons biggest rivals. Both franchise mirror each other. But I think the Panthers become our biggest rival in the near-term in which team is going to challenge us the most over the next 5-10 years. I hate the Bucs more than any other team in the league, but they won't ever be considered a true rival IMO at least in the near future, because I don't respect them. I respect the Panthers and Saints. I don't think someone can be a true rival unless you respect their team and/or fan base. I just loathe the Bucs fans too much to even think of them as a rival. They are just an enemy. :evil:

Profile E-mail