It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pathon back at WR
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:51 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

The Falcons today announced that the team has signed unrestricted free agent WR Jerome Pathon. Terms of the contract were not announced.

Pathon, 6-0, 195 pounds, re-joins the Falcons, having first signed with the club on September 28, 2005 after being waived by the Seattle Seahawks prior to the start of the regular season. In eight games with the Falcons last year, Pathon recorded one catch for 18 yards.

Originally a second-round pick (32nd selection overall) of the Indianapolis Colts in the 1998 NFL Draft, Pathon has caught 260 passes for 3,350 yards and 15 touchdowns in 99 career games with 62 starts during his eight NFL seasons.

- I imagine he's competition for the rookie and Bergeron for the 4/5 slots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:12 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Pathon is a good player, and I'm much more comfortable with him at No. 4 than Jennings or Bergeron.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 1:00 pm 

I am glad that we re-signed Pathon. Being a veteran he can give some pointers for the kids and if they get shakey he can step in for a game or two if needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 1:23 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I am glad to see we finally brought in a vet WR..I think he basically already has the #4 spot tied up...

now we just wait and see who wins the 5 spot...my guess is Bergeron, but it could be Jennings or Manger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 2:01 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I just don't know how much pathon really has to teach our younger WRs. Was he really ever any good? I mean we had him last year and I can only remember him making one catch and was rarely on the field. I just don't see why we brought him back. I see that all you guys think it was a good move, I'm just a little skeptical.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:48 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

well it comes down to who you feel more comfortable with....a low round or undrafted rookie or second year player...

or a guy whose been in the NFL a couple of years.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:29 am 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Pudge wrote:
Pathon is a good player, and I'm much more comfortable with him at No. 4 than Jennings or Bergeron.

idk. I think this is just a move to make sure that if we have to we will use him but more than likely we will just stick with Finn, Jenkins, White, Jennings, Magner and Bergeron as the 6 WR's on the roster. (yes I think we carry 6)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 2:31 pm 

I'd be shocked if Atlanta carries 6 receivers on their roster. We might carry 6 DB's but we won't carry 6 receivers. Think about it 75% of all Falcon offensive downs we use no more than 2 wideouts. Going to shotgun doesn't mean we put more receivers on the field.

A rare occasion do we actually put 3 or even 4 receivers on the field. I don't think we carry anymore than 5 and if we did that would be because the 5th guy is a potential kick returner.

Right now I'd have to say it will be Roddy, Jenkins, Fin, Pathon, and Bergeron.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:21 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

dirtybirdnw wrote:
I'd be shocked if Atlanta carries 6 receivers on their roster. We might carry 6 DB's but we won't carry 6 receivers. Think about it 75% of all Falcon offensive downs we use no more than 2 wideouts. Going to shotgun doesn't mean we put more receivers on the field.

A rare occasion do we actually put 3 or even 4 receivers on the field. I don't think we carry anymore than 5 and if we did that would be because the 5th guy is a potential kick returner.

Right now I'd have to say it will be Roddy, Jenkins, Fin, Pathon, and Bergeron.

see I think it will be White, Jenkins, Finneran, Bergeron, Magner as our top 5 with Jennings on the practice Squad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:08 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

I dont know why everyone is in love with Magner...he is a very poor man's Wayne Chrebet. He isnt going to make the team over Jennings or Bergeron. Hes just a body to beat on in training camp, and at the very best, a body to beat on in the regular season as part of the practice squad. But no way in hell will he make the active roster, or will we keep 6 wrs. Im sure we'd be more likely to split DHall out at WR in a regular season game than we would Magner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 12:12 am 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

ether3917 wrote:
I dont know why everyone is in love with Magner...he is a very poor man's Wayne Chrebet. He isnt going to make the team over Jennings or Bergeron. Hes just a body to beat on in training camp, and at the very best, a body to beat on in the regular season as part of the practice squad. But no way in hell will he make the active roster, or will we keep 6 wrs. Im sure we'd be more likely to split DHall out at WR in a regular season game than we would Magner.

see I doubt that. Magner is a very good receiver and even Vick has been pointing him out as a guy he wants o nthe team...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 12:29 am 

Falcon fans have a history of getting enamored with a young WR almost every trianing camp. It was Magner last summer. It was Terrence Edwards before. It was Eugene Baker a few years back. Frankly speaking, none of these guys have amounted to anything.

Magner is overrated. He's got decent hands and decent speed, but there are a million other players out there just as good or better in both areas. He made about as many plays last summer as Peerless Price did. I don't know why people are in love with him either. Frankly, he's no better than Jimmy Farris and is practice squad material, that's all.

I agree with others, the only way the Falcons go into the season with 6 receivers if 2 or more of the Top 4 (Finneran, Pathon, White, & Jenks) are injured and will miss a few weeks. Because the Falcons rarely use 4 WRs on the field at once, carring 6 guys is totally unnecessary. When the Falcons want to spread out defenses, they just simply split Dunn or Crumpler out wide, which frankly is as good if not better option than any 4th wide guy we could employ. So the roster breaks down as 3 WRs that actually play, 1 that serves on ST, and one that just sits inactive each and every week.

I believe Pathon and Jennings have the inside track to the No. 4 and 5 jobs. But Pathon has to show things on special teams and Jennings makes the roster because I think he'll take away the KR job from Rossum/Cobb.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 3:45 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

i think it will be
white, jenkins, finn, pathon, bergeron, and jennings, with magner on ps