It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:23 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NFR: Compelling case for why NFL needs developmental league
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:44 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I think he nailed it. For players, coaches, and officials, having a developmental league makes too much sense. I dont' get how the league could lose money if they controlled it. Put together a TV contract with the current major networks to broadcast the guys on their lesser channels: NBC - NBC Sports Network, CBS - CBS Sports Network, FOX - FSN or FX, ESPN - ESPN2 and you're good to go.

I'm sure I've discussed this a half dozen times before, but I think you could expand into some of the lesser big markets, maybe even put a team in Vancouver and/or Toronto.

Do it similar to the World league, where teams would allocate a select number of players at the end of each season to play in the spring, and then if/when the season ends in say June or so, you can bring those players into training camp. If you had 8 teams, then you could have each team represent a division (i.e. all NFC South teams allocate to one division). Maybe you have 12 or 16 teams, really doesn't matter. I mean think about Brent Grimes, if he hadn't gone to the world league, would he have become the player he did become for us? Or Brian Finneran? Matt Bryant? Tyson Clabo? Kurt Warner, Adam Vinatieri, Jake Delhomme, Shaun Hill, Jon Kitna, Brian Waters, Tony Pashos, Stylez G. White, Erik Pears, Damon Huard, Paul Spicer, Antonio Smith, Mike Brisiel, Barry Sims, Dante Hall, and Fred Jackson all pretty much had early success overseas in NFL EUrope/World League before getting a foothold in the NFL. All of whom at some point became starters and a few Pro Bowlers.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... f-reasons/

NFL needs developmental league, for plenty of reasons

Posted by Mike Florio on January 3, 2013, 1:11 AM EST

Getty Images
When the NFL pulled the plug on whatever the World League was known as in its final existence, the NFL likewise removed the ability of young players to get much-needed live reps.

But it’s more than players who benefit from a league that helps develop talent. The coaching pipeline remains less than full without opportunities to teach and scheme and call plays and make decisions in real games in real time.

With only four minority head coaches and a dearth of minority assistants in key positions on offense, a developmental league would go a long way toward filling the pipeline with coaches of all backgrounds and ethnicity. From time to time, reports and musings surface of such an effort, but the thinking is that the NFL has decided not to do it because it wouldn’t be profitable.

Even if it’s not, it’s part of the cost of ensuring that the game is grooming those with potential to become the best they can be, perhaps even better than some of the folks who currently rise to the top of the profession.

It also would help develop and improve game officials, who based on what we’ve seen this year (and in most years) could always use some development and improvement.

So here’s hoping the NFL’s list of New Year’s resolutions includes finally bringing back a developmental league.

Profile E-mail