It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:50 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: News and Notes from Kffl.com
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 7:59 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

It says Jimmy Williams will be used as a CB in our nickel coverage while Webster will be our nickel back, but Webster will be our starting CB in our base defense. Interesting...

Falcons | Lavalais starter for now, will have competition for job
Fri, 12 May 2006 13:42:18 -0700

Michael Oldham, of AtlantaFalcons.com, reports Atlanta Falcons DL Chad Lavalais is No. 1 on the depth chart at nose tackle for now, but will see competition for the starting job from DLs Antwan Lake and Darrell Shropshire. However, no matter who wins the job, all three will see playing time in the defensive line rotation.

Falcons | Open competition at kicker
Fri, 12 May 2006 13:41:30 -0700

Michael Oldham, of AtlantaFalcons.com, reports the Atlanta Falcons have an open competition in the offseason between four players, PKs Seth Marler, Ryan Rossner, Zac Derr and Tony Yelk. While any of the four could land the starting job, Marler stands out the most since he is the most experienced of the group.

Falcons | J. Williams will be used at cornerback in nickel coverage
Fri, 12 May 2006 22:12:10 -0700

Steve Wyche, of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, reports Atlanta Falcons CB Jimmy F. Williams will be used with the first-team nickel coverage package at cornerback. CB Jason Webster will be used as the nickel back. Head coach Jim Mora added Webster would be used as the cornerback in the base defense.

Falcons | Crumpler will be held out of portion of camp
Fri, 12 May 2006 22:11:47 -0700

Steve Wyche, of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, reports Atlanta Falcons TE Alge Crumpler (knee) will be held out of portions of the non-contact camp, according to head coach Jim Mora.

Falcons | Mathis will participate in some capacity
Fri, 12 May 2006 22:11:31 -0700

Steve Wyche, of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, reports Atlanta Falcons LB CB Kevin Mathis (knee) will participate in some capacity in the team's minicamp which starts Saturday, May 13.

Falcons | Beck will participate in some capacity
Fri, 12 May 2006 22:11:03 -0700

Steve Wyche, of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, reports Atlanta Falcons LB Jordan Beck (foot) will participate in some capacity in the team's minicamp which starts Saturday, May 13.

Falcons | Hartwell will participate in some capacity
Fri, 12 May 2006 22:10:23 -0700

Steve Wyche, of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, reports Atlanta Falcons LB Edgerton Hartwell (Achilles') will participate in some capacity in the team's minicamp which starts Saturday, May 13.

Falcons | Shockley not a lock to make final roster
Fri, 12 May 2006 21:59:05 -0700

Steve Wyche, of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, reports Atlanta Falcons QB D.J. Shockley will compete with QB Bryan Randall for the No. 3 quarterback role. When talking about Shockley, head coach Jim Mora said, "This guy's not a lock to make the team. Bryan Randall is a pretty good quarterback and he's been in the system for a year. But we wouldn't have drafted D.J. if we didn't think he could compete and upgrade the position. We think he'll do that by him making it or by upgrading Bryan Randall's performance."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 12:34 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Shockley not making the roster would indicate the Falcons did a poor job of drafting. I believe Randall is a more polished QB at this point in their careers, so Shockley not making the roster is not out of the question. But I see the Falcons keeping Shockley for the purpose of saving face. When an undrafted player, where he has no experience or 3 years of experience beats out one of your draft picks, it means you wasted a draft pick.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 11:13 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

1. 7th round picks don't make the roster more often than not
2. i believe the Falcons drafted Schockley so they wouldn't have to have the discussion with Michael about why they didn't sign his brother as a FA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 1:21 pm 

GSUTeke wrote:
1. 7th round picks don't make the roster more often than not

I realize this, but that doesn't mean otherwise. Ideally all your rookies are going to make your roster their first summer. Shropshire managed to still make the roster despite being the 5th DT (which meant he was going to be inactive each week). That shows me Shropshire showed the coaching staff something that made them believe they should keep him on the roster, knowing he wasn't going to play. Quincy WIlson didn't make the roster in '04, and the Falcons only had 2 RBs on the roster for most of the year, indicating he didn't have that something.

I'm not sure how it works with the other 31 teams in the league, but I've noticed with the Falcons, if a player doesn't make the roster as a rookie, whether drafted or undrafted, his chances of makign the roster the next year are slim and none. Even if that player managed to play on the practice squad the entire year or at some point was promoted to the active roster. A good example of this is Etric Pruitt.

I believe even if Shockley makes the practice squad this year, if he is not our No. 3 QB on opening day, it indicates he won't be offering very much to this team over the next 2-3 years. I'm not sure, but if that is the case, then it's going to make players like Jarrad Page, Stanley McClover, and Mark Setterstrom look like they would have been much better selections at #223.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:17 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Shockey better bring it, b/c he's gonna have one hell of a tough time outworking Randall.