It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NFR: NFL considering changes to Rooney Rule
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:34 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

NFL considering changes to Rooney Rule

Despite leading a Ravens offense that has reached the AFC title game, Jim Caldwell did not get an interview for a head coaching job.
Patrick Semansky/AP

Jim Caldwell nearly went undefeated as a rookie coach in Indianapolis three years ago and he's one win away from returning to the Super Bowl as an assistant with Baltimore.

Yet Caldwell didn't get one interview for any of the eight coaching vacancies in the NFL this year.

"That's almost impossible for me to comprehend," John Wooten, chairman of the Fritz Pollard Alliance Foundation, told The Associated Press on Friday.

Eight teams hired new coaches and six more filled general manager positions with one opening remaining. None of those jobs went to a minority.

Now the league is considering revisions to the "Rooney Rule," which mandates that teams must interview at least one minority candidate for front-office and head coaching jobs.

"While there has been full compliance with the interview requirements of the Rooney Rule and we wish the new head coaches and general managers much success, the hiring results this year have been unexpected and reflect a disappointing lack of diversity," Robert Gulliver, the NFL's executive vice president of human resources, said in a statement.

"The Rooney Rule has been a valuable tool in expanding diversity and inclusion in hiring practices, but there is more work to do, especially around increasing and strengthening the pipeline of diverse candidates for head coach and senior football executive positions.

"We have already started the process of developing a plan for additional steps that will better ensure more diversity and inclusion on a regular basis in our hiring results. We look forward to discussing these steps with our advisers to ensure that our employment, development and equal opportunity programs are both robust and successful."

Wooten said his group is already working on a proposal.

"We feel very strongly there's a need to extend the rule," Wooten said. "I'm disappointed, but not discouraged because we have a plan of action. We're putting it together right now and we're going to present our thoughts and ideas to the league. We'll be working together to make something happen."

Caldwell won his first 14 games with the Colts in 2009 before losing the final two regular-season games after resting Peyton Manning and most of his starters. The Colts reached the Super Bowl only to lose to the New Orleans Saints. Indianapolis went 10-6 the following season and captured another AFC South title, but lost to the New York Jets in a wild-card game. With Manning sidelined all of last season, the Colts went just 2-14 and Caldwell lost his job.

GALLERY: WHEN NFL COACHES WERE PLAYERS

He joined the Ravens as quarterbacks coach and was promoted to offensive coordinator in mid-December. Baltimore has averaged 25.8 points in the five games since Caldwell replaced Cam Cameron. In two playoff wins, the Ravens have scored 62 points, including 38 in a double-overtime win at Denver last week.

"Anybody in this business would certainly like to get to the point where they reach the top of their profession," Caldwell said earlier this month. "They'd love to have an opportunity to be a head coach, and I'm no different."

But Caldwell has to wait until next year. So does Lovie Smith.

The Chicago Bears fired Smith after he went 10-6. He interviewed with Philadelphia, San Diego and Buffalo. The Eagles chose Chip Kelly, the Bills hired Doug Marrone and the Chargers went with Mike McCoy.

At least Smith had an opportunity. Caldwell didn't. Neither did Winston Moss, an assistant head coach and linebackers coach for the Green Bay Packers.

"I'm probably more disappointed that Jim Caldwell and Winston Moss didn't get interviews," Wooten said. "Caldwell could've been undefeated his rookie year if (then Colts general manager) Bill Polian doesn't make the decision to bench Manning. And Moss is such an impressive coach. Look at the way he held together the Packers' linebackers with all their injuries."
Keith Armstrong, special teams coach for Atlanta, interviewed for vacancies with Kansas City, Philadelphia and Chicago. Armstrong wasn't really considered a serious candidate for those teams. Some believe he was granted interviews simply to satisfy the Rooney Rule. The Chiefs hired Andy Reid just a few days after the Eagles fired him. The Bears chose Marc Trestman.

"I would never tell a guy not to take an interview because it's not a realistic interview," Wooten said. "Keith Armstrong is a strong talent evaluator and excellent coach."

There were a total of 203 minority coaches in the NFL in 2012, including six head coaches. With Smith and Romeo Crennel out, only four minorities will start the 2013 season as head coaches. That's the fewest since 2003.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/ne ... z2IOtmCnnY

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: NFR: NFL considering changes to Rooney Rule
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:12 am 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... al-search/

It’s been six years since an African-American head coach was hired via external search

Posted by Mike Florio on January 18, 2013, 2:30 PM EST

AP
The NFL has acknowledged disappointment regarding the lack of diversity in this year’s round of coaching and G.M. hires. There’s another trend that the league should regard as even more troubling.

As former Buccaneers and Colts coach Tony Dungy, now an analyst with NBC’s Football Night in America, has pointed out, it has been six years since an African-American head coach was hired as the result of an external search.

“Mike Singletary, Leslie Frazier and Romeo Crennel were named interim coaches when their bosses were fired during the season,” Dungy told PFT via email. “They were retained as permanent head coaches. Jim Caldwell, Raheem Morris and Hue Jackson were assistant coaches on staffs where there was a head-coaching opening and they were promoted from within. However, you have to go back to 2007 when the Steelers hired Mike Tomlin to see a situation where a team hired an African-American coach from outside their organization to be their head coach.”

Tomlin was the Vikings’ defensive coordinator for one year before being selected by the Rooneys to replace Bill Cowher. Overlooked for the job were Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt and Steelers offensive line coach Russ Grimm, both white.

“While many people would say it doesn’t matter and those six coaches were selected and got a chance, you still have to be concerned about the process for minority coaches,” Dungy said. “I know Ron Rivera was hired by the Panthers, but you would have to think that somewhere in the last six hiring cycles a team would reach out to an African-American coach outside their building. Unfortunately, it appears right now that the best way for an African-American coach to get an opportunity is to be on a staff where the head coach gets fired or retires. I still don’t think owners and GMs are doing a great job in the process of identifying minority candidates.”

He’s right, and that’s where the process can best be changed. From current coaches giving more meaningful opportunities to minority assistant coaches (such as play-calling duties on offense) to General Managers casting a wider net when interviewing candidates to teams being prevented from satisfying the Rooney Rule by interviewing a current member of the organization to the media doing a better job of highlighting qualified minority candidates, real changes are needed in order to improve the problem.

“I guess more than being upset by 2013 results I am more concerned about the trend,” Dungy added via text message. “I don’t know if owners are really looking at minority candidates as a whole — unless they already know them.”

NFL teams should address this problem because it’s the right thing to do. NFL teams will address this problem when they perceive a significant threat to their bottom line from public pressure or litigation.

Here’s hoping they choose to do the right thing before they have to.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:50 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Had to laugh. That list of African American coaches told me one thing...they can suck just as bad as the next guy. For the most part, QBs make their coaches--not the other way around. Give Caldwell a Peyton and he'll take you deep into the playoffs. Give him a fill in the blank and he'll get you a first round pick.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:10 am 

What was interesting is that Florio had Yahoo's Michael Silver on for those video segment they have up on the site. And the interesting point they made was that Caldwell is considered to have benefited solely from Peyton, yet despite an even more disastrous head coaching run in Denver, many still look to Josh McDaniels as a prime head coaching candidate, when all he's done is hitch his wagon to Brady.

I made this point years ago in a thread discussing black vs white QBs, in that failed white QBs typically will get a 2nd and 3rd chance at being a starter/backup, while failed black QBs don't get those same opportunities. Look at Joey Harrington, David Carr, JP Losman vs say Dennis Dixon, Shaun King, Vince Young, etc. Perfect example of this is David Garrard now.

I think similar "rules" apply to to black coaching candidates. Not to mention that many of the position coaches still fit the stereotypes of yesteryear with blacks coaching the more "athletic" units such as RB, WR, DL, and DB, and white assistants typically are your QB,OL, LB position coaches, the more "cerebral" positions. And then of course those are typically the spots that get coordinator jobs with DB coaches also being in the mix for DC jobs.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:55 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Pudge wrote:
What was interesting is that Florio had Yahoo's Michael Silver on for those video segment they have up on the site. And the interesting point they made was that Caldwell is considered to have benefited solely from Peyton, yet despite an even more disastrous head coaching run in Denver, many still look to Josh McDaniels as a prime head coaching candidate, when all he's done is hitch his wagon to Brady.

I made this point years ago in a thread discussing black vs white QBs, in that failed white QBs typically will get a 2nd and 3rd chance at being a starter/backup, while failed black QBs don't get those same opportunities. Look at Joey Harrington, David Carr, JP Losman vs say Dennis Dixon, Shaun King, Vince Young, etc. Perfect example of this is David Garrard now.

I think similar "rules" apply to to black coaching candidates. Not to mention that many of the position coaches still fit the stereotypes of yesteryear with blacks coaching the more "athletic" units such as RB, WR, DL, and DB, and white assistants typically are your QB,OL, LB position coaches, the more "cerebral" positions. And then of course those are typically the spots that get coordinator jobs with DB coaches also being in the mix for DC jobs.

The problem goes deeper than the NFL, but at the same time I think it is being overblown.

Caldwell is probably going to get a second chance as a head coach after his results since taking over OC in Balt. McDaniels will get a second chance because he is the OC of a very successful team. For them, it has nothing to do with race.

We can look at black vs white QBs as well. Garrard was given another chance this year with Miami, but injuries derailed his chances like they have for years for him. VY was given plenty of chances with Tennessee, and promptly blew all his chances and then blew another when Philly came calling. They were all (save Garrard) bad QBs who consistently made costly mistakes. You look at Carr, Harrington, etc, and you notice that, while they never could get an offense going, they didn't make severe mistakes often. Look at Vick, McNabb & Leftwich. How many chances did they all get?

I don't see how the Rooney rule can be changed aside from literally forcing teams to hire minority coaches. Teams have a habit of hiring coaches who have previous head coaching experience, regardless of success except if they really f**** up the show (Looking at you, Raheem!). Its also a numbers game. We've seen many more minority coaches become coordinators in the past decade, but I think the overwhelming majority of coordinators and head coaches are still white (college & NFL). So, naturally, the pool to choose a new head coach from is going to have few minorities in them, and of those minorities, again only a few have HC experience that teams crave.

It will change in the next decade or two as more and more minorities become coordinators, and so HC candidates.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:25 am 

David Carr is just a better version of Brady Quinn. Like Joey, all brains no balls. These guys get ample opportunity to be backups, while Vince Young, Tarvaris Jackson, David Garrard, Seneca Wallace, and McNabb can't seem to get jobs spending months unemployed. The McCown Bros., Derek Anderson, Kellen Clemens, John Parker Wilson, Caleb Hanie, Charlie Whitehurst, Graham Harrell, Drew Stanton, Dan Orlovsky, Curtis Painter, etc. get jobs within weeks of getting cut.

Think about this...How long do you think Mark Sanchez or Chad Henne are out of work should they be axed this off season? A week? Meanwhile Garrard who is above .500 starting QB has been healthy since October and can't get a sniff. McNabb is a potential HOFer and yet look at Kerry Collins comeback last year in Indy? Would McNabb get that same opportunity?

I'm not saying the league is racist, but some of these (white) bums are getting multiple opportunities to prove they can't play. Of the 5 black QBs I named above, only Jackson has a job currently. But guys like Hanie, Painter, Luke McCown get jobs really quickly after they get cut.

And the question I have is the current progress and diversity we've seen happen over the past decade because of the Rooney Rule or just natural? So then the question becomes for continued growth do you modify the rule or let it naturally progress?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:58 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

What is a tweak? Demand that a "minority" is hired. I guess tribalism will always be hard to trump and the more stridently people delineate their tribes or identify with their tribes the more relevent the tribes become. Perception is reality. I've never been a fan of quotas nor a beneficiary or someone who had to bend to them. If race is so important it would seem to me hiring black coaches would make a lot of sense since the rosters are largely black. Maybe at the end of the day it doesn't matter and the sooner we arrive at an understanding of this the better. I would think being a "token" interview would be pretty embarrassing for everyone involved. Find me a team with a franchise QB and I'll find you a coach--black, white, spotted or dotted--who will be successful and possibly parlay that into future coaching jobs should Robt AP or Gus fire him if he doesn't make it to the SB. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:24 pm 

I wanted to post this in my Monday takeaways today, but due to car issues on my way back from ATL, that isn't going to go up til later in the week, so I no need to keep the genie in the bottle.

My recommended "tweak" is to have at least 2 minority interviews, at least 1 of which must come from outside the organization. It seems that the way teams have figured out how to circumvent it by firing coaches midseason, promoting a black assistant, and during that process basically have their Rooney Rule filled.

Look, there have been 17 coaches fired mid-season since the Rooney Rule was adopted in 2003. Of those 17, 9 of them have been minority head coaches. 53% of teams feel that their black head coaches could stabilize their teams. Since then, there have been 72 head coaching hires (not counting interims), and 14 of them have been black coaches, or about 19%.

That's a big enough disparity where something is fishy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:20 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

If that doesn't work do you go to three?

I run a small time business and used to be something of a "crusader." My MO was that all things being or seeming equal I would hire the black guys becuase I figured someone else wouldn't. My must trusted employee and really pretty much a partner after 20 odd years together was one of those guys but I have wound up back where I started--people are people and if it is your business I think you should be able to run it as you see fit. In the case of the NFL, they have PR issues that are greater than mine or, at least, different.

Honest question...did Tomlin get hired as a result of the Rooney rule? IOW, was he the "black interview" or just a guy they wanted? Time is always a factor in NFL hires and the tendency seems ot be to hire re-treads whether that be Marty Schottenheimer, Norv Turner or Denny Green. Everyone is looking for that next Jim Harbaugh.

Honestly, I'm kind of "raced out." I guess as a middle class, white Southern male it's a "luxury I can afford." There was an unitentionally funny stat I read a while back during the election that said something like that 85 % of Hispanics and Af americans were if favor of policies that benefited minorities while those figures were much lower for whites. Almost like saying, 85% of WRs are in favor of tighter pass interference rules while DBs are not. Far more often than not I think we are in favor of that which benefits our tribe or our perceived tribe and if it inhabits the higher moral platitude then all the better to sell it. But most of us are selfish in the end or at least self centered but sometimes considering the "greater good" is good for the "smaller good."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:31 am 

I agree with your points bnb. And I don't think my tweak solves anything.

And the idea of businesses should be able to hire whoever they want or run their business however they want, I don't disagree with. The problem is that if 80% of businesses do things the right way, what about the 20% that don't? Those that don't hire minorities because of racist sentiments? Are you really punishing the other 80% by "forcing" them to be more "fair" with their hiring practices? If they were doing it to begin with, then is the rule really hurting them?

The brunt of the problem is that the people that most often get hired to be head coaches are offensive and defensive coordinators. And while there isn't a huge shortage of minority DCs, guess what? The way the game is going, it's the offensive guys that are in vogue. Maybe it cycles back, but when? 5 years? 10 years? 30 years? Who knows. So do you just sit around and wait for that to cycle back.

And there aren't many minority play-callers. Jim Caldwell and Pep Hamilton are the only two, and Caldwell was an interim guy and Hamilton was just hired by the Colts, and his Stanford connection to Andrew Luck is probably the only reason he got that job. 2 out of 32. Caldwell gets no interview. Hue Jackson, who is widely hailed as a very good OC doesn't get any interviews. Too outspoken, I guess? But that doesn't seem to be holding Todd Haley or Brian Daboll back.

Do you say coaches must be "forced" to interview minorities for their DC positions? That seems to attack the root of the issue, but again, I think coaches should be able to hire whoever they want.

I don't know if there is a solution. But I also don't think the league can just twiddle their thumbs and hope it just solves it self over time. Wil it? Sure, but when? 5 years? 10 years? 30 years? It's 2012. It's been 20 years since the entry of Warren Moon and Art Shell in the late 80s, early 90s, and there are still lines of segregation in the NFL.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:58 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The league does seem to go in trends but it always seems to me that over time the defensive minded coaches have the most staying power. Not sure what John Harbaugh is known as but Carrol, Smitty, Belichick, Fox are all D guys. Curious in Smitty's case that our defense has been such a weak spot. I wonder why the D sid eof the ball winds up as more black domain? Anyway, I don't really know the answer on any of this stuff and I am very much of the more things change the more they stay the same.

So, was Tomlin a Rooney Rule hire or a guy the Rooneys targeted? Once the Steelers got it right (1970s) they really got it right. They are patient with coaches and not trendy with schemes. As you say, things cycle. While we all talk about the pass first league I think it is notable that the Vikes and the 49ers--to name a couple--show the importance of running. More things change....

I guess in the end it is all kind of like politics with carnival barkers on both ends of the spectrum making a lot of noise and at the least raising awareness and in so doing the big cumbersome beast that is the league gets slowly nudged in the right direction. Given the demographic of the players it really makes no sense there are so few black coaches or is counter intuitive at the least. Speaking of which, kind of surprised Lovie didn't get a sniff.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:55 am 

As for Tomlin, the rumor was that the Steelers were prepared to hire Russ Grimm as their next head coach after Cowher. But then pressure from the league office said that they should probably hire a minority candidate given the name of the rule, and they opted for Option #2 which was Tomlin. I don't know if this rumor was true, because I read it back on Pro Football Talk back in '07.

I think the reason why it's easy for minorities (not just blacks because of Ron Rivera) to be DCs is generally speaking defensive coordinators have a background as either LB or DB coaches. While it seems that many LB coaches are white (there are always exceptions), you have a high percentage of blacks as DB coaches. Perry Fewell, Herm Edwards, Mike Tomlin, Tim Lewis, Jerry Gray, all started out as DB coaches. Romeo Crennel seems to be the rarity as a former DL coach that became a DC.

8 new head coaches this year, 7 of which have offensive backgrounds. Last year, only 2 of 7. But IMO, the way the game is going you're going to continue to see teams go offensive heavy more often than not.

That means OCs will probably get more looks. And the problem is that most often OCs are either former QB coaches or former OL coaches. And those tend to be the provinces of white coaches. Most black coaches tend to be RB and WR coaches, and don't often get opportunities to become OCs. And when they do (e.g. Curtis Modkins in BUF or Mo Carthon in DET, DAL, and CLE), they usually aren't calling plays. There are only 3 non-black RB coaches in the NFL, but only 2 non-white QB coaches. Is that surprising? Not really. Most current NFL coaches are in their 40s or 50s. You coach what you played. How many black QBs were there in the 70s and 80s? How many white RBs?

http://theshadowleague.com/articles/in- ... -man-s-job

I also support the idea of a minor league for the NFL which can give more coaches (regardless of race) greater opportunities to showcase their skills. Imagine a scenario where a guy like Mike Zimmer could coach the Bengals D in the fall, but then in the spring go and become the head coach of the Birmingham Bruins for 3 months. And if they had success, then that would showcase his abilities to owners and get that guy a job as a head coach down the road.

In the end, I think you really need to shine a light on it, and hopefully you'll have some coaches around the league, even if it's only 2 or 3 guys start to give some minorities greater opportunities. For example, imagine a scenario where the Falcons were to hire a guy like Hue Jackson (or someone else) with the intent of grooming him to take over for Koetter in the near future.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:20 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

It also seems there is a higher instance of black coaches who were former players in the league. You can't talk about race without being racist, IMO, and when we group Rivera in or someone who is Samoan or whatever we just start veering into that absurdist "one drop rule" which is simply contemptible and a perpetuation of something that we are trying to rid ourselves of. It's kind of like knowing you have a leaky roof and saying, well, we've got to get these old, bad shingles off. But, as Malcolm X said so many years ago, it is just chickens coming home to roost. It is kind of two steps forward one step back or maybe two forward, one back and six laterally but, in the end, it is moving forward. It wasn't until the 80s that having a woman even report on football was unthinkable.

As for the minor leagues, they already have that. It's called college football and it is essentially cost free so I don't know that the NFL would be inclined to opt out of that. I really wish there were a way guys who wanted to play ball didn't have to go through the charade of being students.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:38 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

backnblack wrote:
Find me a team with a franchise QB and I'll find you a coach--black, white, spotted or dotted--who will be successful and possibly parlay that into future coaching jobs should Robt AP or Gus fire him if he doesn't make it to the SB. :lol:

I admit I would give the spotted coach preference 8-)

might even give him more then 5-6 years to get to the SB, too :ninja:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:02 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

fun gus wrote:
backnblack wrote:
Find me a team with a franchise QB and I'll find you a coach--black, white, spotted or dotted--who will be successful and possibly parlay that into future coaching jobs should Robt AP or Gus fire him if he doesn't make it to the SB. :lol:

That's because your tribe has freckles!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:17 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

backnblack wrote:
fun gus wrote:
backnblack wrote:

That's because your tribe has freckles!

:clap:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:26 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:

I also support the idea of a minor league for the NFL which can give more coaches (regardless of race) greater opportunities to showcase their skills. Imagine a scenario where a guy like Mike Zimmer could coach the Bengals D in the fall, but then in the spring go and become the head coach of the Birmingham Bruins for 3 months. And if they had success, then that would showcase his abilities to owners and get that guy a job as a head coach down the road.

If the NFL is serious they'd figure out how to do the above. I believe anyone will hire
a proven winner regardless of race; and its such a crap shoot when your giving someone their first chance!! I think we all agree that a Coach needs to have a decent Qb
or he's shown the door regardless of who's fault it is!!

In other words I really have no clue; its like winning a Super Bowl, we're doing better;
but its way to slow!!