It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Titans trash could be Falcons treasure?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:47 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

The Titans announced yesterday that they would release the following players:

FB Robert Holcombe
WR Derrick Mason
OT Fred Miller
DT Kevin Carter
CB Samari Rolle
K Joe Nedney

The main guys I'm looking at are Mason, Carter, Rolle, and Nedney.

Mason is one of the better possession wideouts in the league. He's going to be 31 this year, but he still has good ability. Although I'm not sure he's as good as he was 1 or 2 years ago, he still is a productive wideout that was used to be the #1 target in Tennessee. His presence on this team could help Price a lot I think. He's a much more consistent wideout than anyone we have.

Carter is to me the ideal undergap tackle. The question becomes, can he play the nose position. He is a DE in a DT's body. He no longer has the great edge speed to play DE anymore and be a reliable pass rusher. If the coaching staff thinks he can play the nose, then they should pick him up.

Rolle is still a top cover man in this league. His issues stem from staying healthy. He's missed 7 games in the past 2 seasons (some of which were thanks to a hellacious block by Crumpler). He's only 29, which by my wisdom means he probably has another good 2 or 3 years left in this league at his current level. Rolle definitely would be expensive, and it would make having a guy like Webster a bit of a huge luxury. But ideally, I think Webster is better off as a nickel guy than as a starter. But I doubt the team goes after Rolle because it would likely involve a bonus of $10 million or more.

Nedney is another possibility. He's coming off several injuries and basically has only kciked 1 field goal in the past 2 seasons. A torn ACL and torn hamstring are his injuries. Of course he would have to check out medically, but he would be a good player to compete (or take over) for Feely. He has a strong leg. And from 2000-2003, he connected on all 19 of his indoor attempts, and was 61 of 79 from outdoors (77.2%). This I think makes him a better option than Feely because he is a good indoors kicker. Also Nedney can boom kickoffs in a dome, probably much further than Feely (who is in fact one of the better KO guys in the league). If Nedney is healthy, then I say we should try and sign him. If not, then we just let him walk and hope that he is close to 100% by AUgust, so we can bring him into camp.

Profile E-mail