It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: D.O.L. on our free agents...
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:46 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

If Gonzalez does return, the Falcons decision-making in free agency will become tougher. Here's a look at the 18 unrestricted free agents and the three restricted free agents:, who will receive tender offers soon. Teams can start talking to agents on March 9. Free agency starts on March 12:

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

Sam Baker, left tackle: He turned in his strongest season as he was injury free. Return: Very likely.

Chase Coffman, tight end: The former Mackey Award winner can salvage his career as a pass-catching tight end. Return: Likely.

Mike Cox, fullback: He came on strong, but will have to compete with Bradie Ewing for the lead role. [b]Return: Likely.[/b

Drew Davis, wide receiver: He was solid in a reserve role as the No. 4 receiver. Return: Likely.

Dominique Franks, cornerback: He was cut and re-signed. Didn’t distinguish himself as the punt returner. Return: Not likely.

Tony Gonzalez, tight end: He is likely not set to return after leading the team with 93 catches. Return: Five-percent.

Brent Grimes, cornerback: He’ll have to prove he’s recovered for his Achilles injury and Falcons must decide to match if he receives a lucrative free agency offer. Return: Not certain.

Chris Hope, safety: He was a valuable reserve and special teams. Return: Not likely.

Todd McClure, center: He turned in another solid season. Return: Not certain.

Luke McCown, quarterback: He knew the offense and Koetter from their time in Jacksonville. Return: Not certain.

William Moore, safety: He went to the Pro Bowl, but missed four games with a hamstring injury. Return: Very likely.

Christopher Owens, cornerback: Solid on special teams and tough in the slot. Return: Likely.

Mike Peterson, linebacker: He was a good insurance policy last season. Return: Not likely.

Garrett Reynolds, right guard: Was the starter before suffering a season-ending back injury. Return: Likely.

Lawrence Sidbury, defensive end: Has played sparingly despite showing some pass-rush ability. Return: Not certain.

Will Svitek, offensive tackle: The team drafted at his position last season. Return: Not likely.

Tim Toone, wide receiver: He provided depth to the unit. Return: Not likely.

Vance Walker, defensive tackle: He has been a stable and productive member of the defensive tackle rotation. Return: Likely.

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS:

Robert McClain, cornerback: He had a very strong season and won the nickel back battle over Franks and Owens. Return: Very likely.

Michael Palmer, tight end: Solid blocker and deceptive route-runner. Return: Very likely

Antone Smith, running back: Contributed on special teams. Return: Likely.

Post subject: Re: D.O.L. on our free agents...
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:11 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I believe D-Led's list is inaccurate in a few instances:

Chase Coffman and Dominique Franks are not UFAs, because they still have one more year left on their contracts. So they will be UFAs after this upcoming season. Davis is a EFA next year, not a UFA this year. Tim Toone has got 2 more years left, so he's not a UFA until after 2014.

And McClain will be an RFA after next year, not this year.

Palmer is a "Deceptive route runner?" What does that even mean?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:43 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Franks isn't terrible as a 4th-5th corner, and was a serviceable safety on at least one passing play. He has to fight for his spot, but I think he has a shot at the 5th spot even with Owens also staying. I'm not saying I wouldn't mind at upgrade, but I'd be surprised if Grimes, Dunta, and Asante are all on the team next year, so finding a new #2-3 will take precedence over a #5.

Drew Davis can catch, but I really think a more dynamic 4th is needed, especially if Gonzalez goes. I cannot believe they cannot find a better #3, for, what $4 mil a year-ish, than Harry "God Help Us if I'm Wide Open" Douglas. Hopefully, either he or Toone comes back, and the #4 and/or 3 gets upgraded.

Sid is gone.

Please, let Reynolds and this whole fascination with playing linemen away from their college position is about over. I am kind of worried ATL will draft that Alabama OLman that can play all three positions.

"Deceptive" probably means that he's elusive in a slow manner, akin to finding the open hole in a zone. I don't think he brings any subterfuge to the table. I would like to see Coffman spend an off-season with Tony. If he does retire, hire him as a consultant; buy his vegetable products; talk his twin into trying it out; something. More Tony Gonzalez cannot be a bad thing for Chase Coffman.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:26 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:

Palmer is a "Deceptive route runner?" What does that even mean?

I don't know either because he hasn't run many in games. Maybe he has good practices?? Looks to slow on the field!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:56 am 

samedi wrote:
More Tony Gonzalez cannot be a bad thing for Chase Coffman.

Doesn't mean he'll be a good thing. Look, I was a big fan of Coffman coming out of Mizzou and thought he would be a poor man's Jeremy Shockey when he got into the NFL. But he isn't that player, and I don't expect him to be that player going forward. I think he made an excellent catch vs. SEA, but that 1 catch doesn't make you a viable starting candidate in the NFL.

I think people are putting way too much stock into the baskets that are Coffman & Palmer which is based really off 1 or 2 catches. Palmer can find open spots in the zone? Well, I hope so, otherwise he shouldn't be in the NFL. Every NFL receiver and/or tight end should be able to find an open green patch where there aren't defenders. Hell, you could teach a 12-year old to do that.

I'm not writing them off but I don't think the Falcons should put any apples in that basket. Between the two of them they have 25 career catches in a combined 6 years of playing and 54 combined games played. As I've said in the past, the best you're hoping for is that one of them turns into Justin Peelle. But the major difference between them and Peelle is that JP was a much, much better blocker than either of them. Palmer has done some nice things from time to time, but for the most part he's fairly average there. Coffman has improved but still is average there on his best days. Are they gonna be the caliber of starter like Peelle was in '08, that might be able to catch the 2, maybe 3 passes thrown their way on a good day because Jones/White are covered and they are going against zone. Or are they gonna be the good TEs that will see 4-6 passes thrown their way and help move the chains on critical 3rd downs.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:24 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

If Gonzo is done, or heck, even if he's not, the Falcons need to go after a TE this year. With Matt Ryan at QB, having a solid, pass catching TE on the field is a must. A fast, talented TE that can split the seam is even better. TE is 2nd on my needs list on offense, after RG. There should be plenty of opportunity to fill the spot.