It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 49ers after Revis
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:59 pm 

I hope this doesn't come true and Revis ends up a 49er. Another impact player added to a loaded 49er roster wouldn't be good for
teams like Atlanta trying to compete with them. TD needs to get creative and add a few impact players also but with a limited budge cap space might be difficult.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: 49ers after Revis
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:55 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

It'd be a good move for the 49ers.

I'm behind the Falcons making a move for Revis assuming 3 conditions are met:

1) It's a trade that happens at some point in August through October so that we can see him come back a bit
2) He is amenable to sign a deal that is not more than $15-16 million/yr.
3) And the Jets only want a #1 pick in exchange.

Doesn't seem like all of those conditions will be met (maybe not even 1 of them).

I was thinking about this earlier today, but I was thinking about Asante and his abilities. He's such a gambler, that when he loses it, it's not going to be pretty. He has 2 more years left on his deal, and I think he has the potential to be able to play at a high level for both years. Looking at guys like Champ Bailey and Charles Woodson being a few years older than Samuel, makes me think Samuel should be able to make it. Samuel just turned 32 in January. Woodson was an MVP in 2010 at age 34 and then looked like he lost something at age 35 in 2011. Bailey was 34 this past year, where he played very wel in the regular season before choking in the playoffs and looking old. Makes me optimistic that Samuel could similarly make it to 34 before the wheels fall off.

I think cornerback is a big need for the Falcons. To me this is the big position of the off-season like running back was last year for me. The Falcons have an opportunity to be proactive at CB like they could have been last year at RB if they had cut Turner.

That doesn't necessarily mean they have to trade for Revis, but it's going to be interesting to see if the falcons make any major moves at that position.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:15 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
It'd be a good move for the 49ers.

I'm behind the Falcons making a move for Revis assuming 3 conditions are met:

1) It's a trade that happens at some point in August through October so that we can see him come back a bit
2) He is amenable to sign a deal that is not more than $15-16 million/yr.
3) And the Jets only want a #1 pick in exchange.

Doesn't seem like all of those conditions will be met (maybe not even 1 of them).

I was thinking about this earlier today, but I was thinking about Asante and his abilities. He's such a gambler, that when he loses it, it's not going to be pretty. He has 2 more years left on his deal, and I think he has the potential to be able to play at a high level for both years. Looking at guys like Champ Bailey and Charles Woodson being a few years older than Samuel, makes me think Samuel should be able to make it. Samuel just turned 32 in January. Woodson was an MVP in 2010 at age 34 and then looked like he lost something at age 35 in 2011. Bailey was 34 this past year, where he played very wel in the regular season before choking in the playoffs and looking old. Makes me optimistic that Samuel could similarly make it to 34 before the wheels fall off.

I think cornerback is a big need for the Falcons. To me this is the big position of the off-season like running back was last year for me. The Falcons have an opportunity to be proactive at CB like they could have been last year at RB if they had cut Turner.

That doesn't necessarily mean they have to trade for Revis, but it's going to be interesting to see if the falcons make any major moves at that position.

I think this year we will ride and die with Samuels, McClain and Dunta, let Grimes walk and address CB either late in the draft or next offseason :ninja:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:50 am 

fun gus wrote:
I think this year we will ride and die with Samuels, McClain and Dunta, let Grimes walk and address CB either late in the draft or next offseason :ninja:

8-) I think you're right. How we handled Turner last off-season gives me very little optimism that you're going to see the Falcons make a bold move, which it would be to cut Dunta. I think what will end up happening, is Dunta will restructure and save the team a few million $$$. Let Grimes walk, probably give Owens a minimum contract.

I just think CB is a more pressing issue than people think. When you have a 32 and 30 year old corner, it's not often a recipe for success, especially when one of them is clearly not a good player. My opinion of Dunta is so low, that i think you can sign guys that are basically No. 3s on other teams and get the same level of production from him for probably less than half the price.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:03 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Well if we can do something to find some pass rush, then it makes the secondary look a lot better as is. I certainly think we can upgrade Daunta, but with us having so many FA's of our own, plus bigger position needs imo at DE and RB, probably nothing will happen. We had to be in the bottom 5 in sacks last year right?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:08 pm 

Literally 10 minutes after posting my previous post, it was announced Falcons would cut Robinson, along with Turner & Abe. 8-)

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status ... 7202097152

Profile E-mail