Sooo....

Discuss your favorite team: the Atlanta Falcons. As well as all NFL and pro football-related topics, including fantasy football.

Moderators: Capologist, dirtybirdnw, thescout

dirtybirdnw

Sooo....

Postby dirtybirdnw » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:12 pm

....I imagine that Osi's demands are a little too high for the Falcons to make a contract work?

Seems a little odd that we've had reports that a deal would be done on Monday. Then everyone was sure that a deal would be on Tuesday. Now it's Wednesday and there hasn't been any news yet today.
Fear the BEARD!

The Mattural
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Sooo....

Postby The Mattural » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:27 pm

Probably trying to come to an agreement on guaranteed money and incentives. I am ready for the news to break.
The Young Gunner

dirtybirdnw

Postby dirtybirdnw » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:40 pm

Here's hoping for a super cap friendly deal with this much work going into the deal.
Fear the BEARD!

RobertAP
Superstar
Superstar

Postby RobertAP » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:10 pm

They have to be close. If they were far off, they would have broken off negotiations by now.

Pudge
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Postby Pudge » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:18 pm

My theory is that Dumervil's 5 yrs./$35M deal screwed it up for everybody. Freeney, Abe now aren't on the Broncos radar anymore, and Osi's deal has now taken 72 hours longer than initially expected.

I think it's because now those guys aren't going to be willing to sign for the lesser deals they may have before Dumervil got the 2nd most lucrative deal for a pass rusher this offseason (behind Kruger). Avril got 2-yrs, $13M, and Bennett got 1 yr, $5M. So Freeney is reportedly asking for 1 yr, $6M and is pretty adamant about that. I imagine if the Falcons were trying to get Osi for a short-term deal under $5M, that becomes much harder to do.

For example, you'll often have these hang ups due to length of contract. Say, Osi wants 3 yrs, $18M. But the Falcons insist on a 4 yr deal at $6M/yr. (so $24M). That extra year is basically so the Falcons can backload the deal, so that it really is more like 3 yrs, $15M with the 4th yr heavily backloaded.

I don't know if this is the case, but I've heard of past negotiations where this is an issue.
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.

Return to “The Huddle”