It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Falcons to sign LB Brian Banks
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:07 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

http://m.ajc.com/news/sports/football/f ... nks/nXBbf/

The Falcons are set to sign linebacker Brian Banks, a former football star who was exonerated on rape charges, today.

The team, which has avoided signing players with character issues is wake of the Michael Vick dog fighting call, will hold a conference call with the media around noon.

He’s had tryouts with Seatte, San Francisco, San Diego and Kansas City.

After being in prison for five years, he was freed last May.

Post subject: Falcons sign Brian Banks
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:10 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

http://falcfans.com/falcons-sign-brian-banks-7383

Falcons sign Brian Banks
April 3rd, 2013
Aaron Freeman

Jay Glazer of FOX Sports reports that the Falcons have signed linebacker Brian Banks to a contract.

Banks was a highly-touted linebacker coming out of Long Beach Poly High School in 2002, having been offered a scholarship to Southern California from former coach Pete Carroll. But he was wrongly accused and convicted of rape and kidnapping and spent 62 months in jail. Afterwards while on probation, he was forced to register as a sex offender, impacting his ability to get work. But in 2012, after the alleged victim recanted, he was exonerated and Banks was finally free.

He quickly proceeded to get workouts from NFL teams, including first with the Seattle Seahawks now coached by Carroll. He also received tryouts from the San Diego Chargers and Kansas City Chiefs before finding a home with the Las Vegas Locos in the United Football League last September. In two games with the Locos, Banks recorded a tackle on special teams. The UFL folded this past October after four games played.

Banks, now 27, stands 6-1 and 240 pounds, and likely will compete for a practice squad position via a role on special teams.

If you don't know the Brian Banks story, I suggest you take some time to educate yourself:

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/7986 ... rian-banks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqjUTp8V6ho

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Falcons to sign LB Brian Banks
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:22 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Holy crap! I totally missed this when it happened. That woman got him thrown in jail, and got $750k from the school. Then, after 10 years, she decided that she wanted to get back together with him, so she admitted that he didn't do it? In my opinion, this woman should give him whatever is left of the $750k, and have her butt thrown in jail for a while.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:58 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I hope he makes it,starts, and becomes an All Pro. I can imagine the media hype if he is starting (lots of BIG ifs) for the Falcons and they are playing in the Super Bowl. They would have to sedate Jay Glazer.

We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. We forge our tradition in the spirit of our ancestors. You have our gratitude.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:15 pm 

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/bria ... ime-040313

Banks cashes in chance at NFL

SHARE THIS STORY

UPDATED APR 3, 2013 6:23 PM ET

NEED SOME? GET SOME
Feed your NFL addiction! Come feast on all the news in our updating blog.
There will be roughly 2,800 players vying for roster spots in NFL training camps.

None will have a more inspirational story than linebacker Brian Banks.

Banks — who spent a decade trying to exonerate himself for a crime he didn’t commit — was signed Wednesday as a free agent by the Atlanta Falcons.

“I can’t believe this is happening. It’s surreal,” Banks said on a conference call with NFL media. “I want to jump up and go crazy. It’s such a big deal.

“This is the biggest accomplishment besides getting my life and freedom back. But it’s also just the beginning.”

Once a highly touted high school recruit in Long Beach, Calif., Banks was charged at age 16 with rape against a fellow student. Although he proclaimed innocence throughout and was never linked to the crime via DNA testing, Banks pled no contest on the advice of his attorney who reportedly feared he might receive a much sterner sentence if found guilty during trial. Banks was sentenced to five years in prison followed by five years of parole.

CIRCLE THE DATE
Now that the NFL's 2013 calendar year has begun, here's what fans have to look forward to.
It was during his time out of prison that Banks was contacted by the rape accuser through Facebook. Wanetta Gibson was later videotaped admitting that Banks had never committed any crime against her, leading to his name being legally cleared in court in May 2012.

At age 26, Banks then began to pursue the NFL career he once thought was no longer tenable. He had 2012 tryouts with Seattle, Atlanta, Kansas City and Seattle but wasn’t signed, leading to a stint for the Las Vegas Locomotives of the United Football League before that entity folded in-season.

“It was difficult before (Gibson) came forward,” Banks said. “I couldn’t live within 2,000 feet of a school or park. It was impossible to find work. I had a GPS strapped to my ankle for five years. I couldn’t leave the state or county under any circumstances.

“When my freedom was given back, another journey was put before me to get into shape and pursue a dream of playing football at the highest level possible. It’s been a long road with 10 years missing in my football career and lot of work put in to make up for it.”

The news of Banks’ signing was first reported by FOX Sports NFL insider Jay Glazer. He has a unique perspective on the story. Glazer, who coaches NFL players and other pro athletes in mixed martial arts training during the offseason, was approached about working with Banks by agent Bruce Tollner. Glazer was so moved by his story that he has trained Banks for free since June 2012 and made calls on his behalf trying to help him get a shot at making an NFL team.

FANTASY BUZZ
For the latest fantasy baseball and football news and advice keep up with FOX Sports' Fantasy Buzz Blog.
“In our gym there’s nobody more inspiring than Brian Banks,” Glazer told FOXSports.com. “All the guys we have look up to him and say, ‘Oh my God, look what he’s been through.’ When guys are on the ground tired after hitting the bag, they get up when they see him get up and start doing it again. This is a guy who can talk about overcoming and not breaking or taking things for granted.

“My favorite thing he’s told me was, ‘I tell people all the time it’s not like God made bad things happen to Brian Banks. Sometimes, bad things just happen in your life. It’s on you to overcome them.’ You’ve got to love a guy who doesn’t blame life.”

The Falcons had passed on signing Banks after his 2012 workout because their regular-season roster was basically set by that point. Banks, though, was impressive enough physically with the Falcons to warrant a shot this preseason at sticking as an inside linebacker and special-teams player.

Glazer said that Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff and head coach Mike Smith both promised “that they would give the kid a shot and work with him in the offseason” if he hadn’t signed elsewhere by then. Banks can now participate in Atlanta’s entire upcoming offseason workout program.

STAR POWER
Who needs Hollywood? If you want to see celebrities, just check out the stands at an NFL game.
“I spoke to Mike this morning and he said, ‘I hope you never doubted us. We keep our promises,’” Glazer said. “Thomas insisted the whole year, ‘We’re going to sign him. We love the kid and want to give him a shot. It’s not just because of his story. We like the size/speed ratio of the guy.’”

The 6-foot-2, 250-pound Banks knows making Atlanta’s practice squad, let alone the final 53-man roster, is hardly a given. There are more experienced players and younger prospects against whom he will be competing.

But just having that chance is everything Banks hoped for after what he has experienced.

“Regardless of whether I signed with an NFL team or would be able to play football, I’ve already won,” Banks said. “The biggest thing for me was to have my freedom be given back to me. Everything else is just me trying to live a life I once lost.”

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:31 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I don't think he has much of a chance; but of course I'd love him just to make the team.... If he's cut he deserves a $100,000 bonus anyway since that's the kinda guy Arthur is?

I wonder what changed from the first we worked him out to now??

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:28 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Cyril wrote:
I don't think he has much of a chance; but of course I'd love him just to make the team.... If he's cut he deserves a $100,000 bonus anyway since that's the kinda guy Arthur is?

I wonder what changed from the first we worked him out to now??

Well I listened to Jay Glazer when he was 790 the zone and he said that Banks wasnt really in peak shape and ran a 4.8 but his functional strength was off the charts. Glazer went on to add that the Falcons wanted to sign him but didnt want all the hoopla and that they had just made the first set of cuts. Then I read on Rotoworld not to long ago that he was able to run in the high 4.5s. If this is true he might have a chance to make it on special teams. If we draft more than one LB then his chances of making the team decrease exponentially