It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Levine Toilolo
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:04 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AicP8Q_XzvM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrejpRJFCww

decent fourth round prospect. If Coffman steps up this year, and LT learns to block a little better, maybe we wont miss TG as much next year......

Post subject: Re: Levine Toilolo
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:52 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Coffman? Why does everyone think that he's suddenly going to get it together? Kid was a beast in college, but he got hurt in his rookie season and has not been the same since. That was 3 years ago. He made ONE good catch last year, and that's about it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:45 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

RobertAP wrote:
Coffman? Why does everyone think that he's suddenly going to get it together? Kid was a beast in college, but he got hurt in his rookie season and has not been the same since. That was 3 years ago. He made ONE good catch last year, and that's about it.

RAP, you may be right, but I would give the kid one more chance. Why, you ask?

Here are my reasons, and I am aware they can all be easily refuted ( looking at you Pudge :wink: )

1:pedigree. his father played 10 years as a TE in the NFL at a time when TE's ( and most recievers) were not the recipients of todays 'flag football' contact rules.

2: his role. What can you expect for a TE behind Roddy, Julio, Tony G, and Quizz? All the falcons asked him to do was stay in and block ( since Tony aint gonna) and possibly be around and aware if Ryan needs to dump off the ball. which leads me to.....

3: the one time we really NEEDED him to make a catch, he did it. The guy played 5 games, and had one-count 'em-one throw his way...and he caught it. (Looking at YOU, Harry Douglas)

Im hoping one more year under TG, keepin him healthy and by next season he may be up to speed as the game slows down and while he wont be Tony G 'special' I see a Coffman/Toilolo 2 TE set as a pretty good idea. Now, he could flame out, but I am hoping he wont.

Hope in one hand, and , well you know the rest :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:14 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Look, I was a big fan of Coffman coming out of school. I recall having him in my Top 20 players in the '09 draft, but then again I had Aaron Curry and Mark Sanchez as my 1 & 2 prospects that year.

I think at this point, expecting Coffman to be a lot more than Palmer is probably asking for a bit too much. While he is a much more effective recevier in traffic IMO than Palmer was, I just don't see that many opportunities for him.

His "failure" in Cincy had little to do with his injury. Sure, he got hurt his rookie season. But he came back his second and third years and couldn't make the team (practice squad both seasons). That was because he wasn't good enough. Coffman is not an inline TE, which is what hurt him transitioning to the pros.

So the only real role he can have is as a H-back/flex-TE. Now Toilolo could be the inline guy, but Coffman as a H-back is not ideal. You'd ideally want someone a lot more explosive at that position than Coffman. Since Toilolo isn't likely to be a big-time producer, you'd want someone that could be a big-time producer there.

I won't write off Coffman completely, but it's a longshot that he becomes more than the 3rd TE in Atlanta.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:20 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
I won't write off Coffman completely, but it's a longshot that he becomes more than the 3rd TE in Atlanta.

fair points. What do you see happening next season? Do we draft a stud TE then, or bring in a vet?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:38 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I think that it's too early to speculate. We have to see how Toilolo develops this year, see who will be available in FA, see who's coming out next year, and where they're projected to go in the draft. I can certainly see us drafting another TE, but at this point, I highly doubt that we'll use a top pick on one. If I had to guess at this point, I'd count on us drafting WR, LB, and DT with our first three picks next year, not in that order.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:36 pm 

I think whether or not the Falcons draft a TE has more to do with the talent available than anything else. If you get an elite talent TE sitting at the Falcons pick they'd be hard pressed to pass on him.