It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NFR: Ronde Barber retires.
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:36 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

He finally decided to hang it up. He probably gets into HOF because he was very good for a very long time, as opposed to great for really any extended stint (maybe when Dungy's TB were at their height early 2000s).

Then I saw his consecutive starts: 215, not counting playoffs.5 pro bowls, a Super Bowl ring, and the 6th most consecutive start streak in NFL position given his physical style of play, his resume is too good not to get in. I feel much better electing borderline people like Ronde largely on resume than say Kurt Warner, because Ronde was never irrelevant during the prime of his career, only becoming so at a very advanced age (33 or 34?)

Thoughts?...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: NFR: Ronde Barber retires.
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:15 pm 

Or he could be the Don Mattingly of the NFL. Great resume and played many years at a high level but never enough to wow the voters in getting him in.

Post subject: Re: NFR: Ronde Barber retires.
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:57 pm 

I doubt it, at least in the case of Ronde. I think the NFL is better about putting guys even if they have to wait a long time, eventually in the Hall.

It wouldn't shock me if Ronde has to wait 8 years, similar to Art Monk or Andre Reed, but in the end I think he'll get in. Unlike WRs, there aren't a ton of rising CBs that are going to bump Ronde aside over the next 5 years.

By the time Ronde is eligible, Aeneas Williams should be in. Champ Bailey and Charles Woodson were already shoe-ins. If Asante puts together another 2 or 3 solid to good years, he'll probably have solidified his status. Nnamdi? Nnamdi can't have any more years like he did in Philly for the remaining few years of his career, cuz his resume won't be better than Ronde's (only 3 Pro Bowls thus far for Nnamdi). While you could make a good case that Antoine Winfield is a similar player to Ronde, the fact that Winfield's teams were largely irrelevant during his career (Buffalo & Minnesota), and only a few Pro Bowls means that he's not going to leapfrog Ronde unless he win a ring (or two) in Seattle before he calls it a career.

People might be surprised to learn that only 3 corners drafted in the past 10 years have made more than 1 Pro Bowl: Darrelle Revis, DeAngelo Hall, and Terence Newman. We know Hall and Newman don't stand a chance. Revis is likely to get in, but he could still be playing in 5 years.

I don't think this era of passing is going to produce many elite corners, at least few that have strong resumes over time.

Profile E-mail