Defensive end

Discuss your favorite team: the Atlanta Falcons. As well as all NFL and pro football-related topics, including fantasy football.

Moderators: Capologist, dirtybirdnw, thescout

MarylandFalcon1
Superstar
Superstar

Defensive end

Postby MarylandFalcon1 » Mon May 22, 2006 11:53 am

The Sporting News lists the Falcons as #3 in the NFC in Defensive Ends behind the NYG and Saints. Is that really possible?

MF1
"I am certainly not afraid to have Brian Finneran on the field. Has he ever not made plays? He just makes plays. He is one of those guys that just makes plays. He is dependable."

J. Mora JR.

John Engel
Role Player
Role Player

Postby John Engel » Mon May 22, 2006 1:14 pm

both the Saints and Giants have very good bookend DE's. You could also make an argument that the Panthers should be ahead of us too.

Strahan >> Kerney
Usi... < Abraham

Will Smith = Kerney
Charles Grant > Abraham

Peppers >> Kerney
Rucker < Abraham

"They have miscalculated me as a leader."

President George W. Bush

widetrak21
Superstar
Superstar

Postby widetrak21 » Mon May 22, 2006 1:35 pm

That's why I love Rod Coleman! I'd also love to see a blitzing DeMo or JDub more this year too. Our pressure should allow for that more now. One thing I love about a D like Pittsburgh's, is if your the opposing QB, you don't know when they might bring it.

SmorgasBorgnine
Superstar
Superstar

Postby SmorgasBorgnine » Mon May 22, 2006 4:54 pm

Our ends are not what makes our line so potent. It's the combination of Rod in the middle and 2 DEs that are good pass rushers. If you count only the top 3 linemen, we are prolly number 1, but for DEs alone, it seems to me that we are still rated pretty high, perhaps too high.

Pudge
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Postby Pudge » Mon May 22, 2006 8:09 pm

Yeah, pound for pound, Kerney and Abraham aren't probably better than Osi and Strahan if you're judging by the latter's play last year. But when you factor in Rod, none of those teams have an impact DT the level of Coleman, except maybe Carolina, but only if Jenkins is 100% and back at his old form which is doubtful considering he's been injured two straight years.

Also each of those teams have better depth at DE than we do as well.
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.

Return to “The Huddle”