It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beck learns ping-pong on crutches
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 4:57 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

i guess the latest Falcons news is there is none, so they try to find something to fill pages...

Staff
Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Falcons second-year linebacker Jordan Beck missed all of last season after breaking his foot in an exhibition game. Set to return at full strength by training camp, Beck gives us five ways he spent his down time:

1. I met my fiancee.

2. Rehabbing my foot. It's going well. There are some things that get kind of old --- doing calf raises every day for seven months straight. I'm coming along, though.

3. Learning from and observing other guys on our team and learning about football. I watched Keith Brooking a lot.

4. Playing ping-pong. I played on crutches a lot, with my roommate (punter Michael Koenen). I started on one leg and could usually beat him. As he got better, I started healing. Now it's pretty even.

5. Barbecues. We're in the South. I went to a lot. My neighbor had me over all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:51 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I really think in a few years, Jordan Beck is going to remind us a lot of Keith Brooking. From what I saw of Beck last preseason, they seem nearly identical as players.

Congratulations to him for meeting his fiancee. However, if it was me I'd be sorta suspicious of any woman that I meet shortly after receving a $1.8 million contract, and within a year was already engaged to her. But Jordan Beck's marital bliss really is one of the last things on my mind... :roll:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:42 am 
Role Player
Role Player

isn't he fairly religious? Perhaps that has something to do with the speed of things? No milk for free?

"They have miscalculated me as a leader."

President George W. Bush

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 2:46 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

No milk for free?

heh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:04 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

Pudge wrote:
But Jordan Beck's marital bliss really is one of the last things on my mind... :roll:

What is the first thing on your mind???? :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 7:32 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

i definitely agree on the comparisons to brooking. they're obviously grooming him to take his place. he showed very good playmaking abilities during the preseason last year and seems to have a great combination of athleticism, passion and smarts. i'd like to see him become the kind of player tatupu is in seattle, kind of a quarterback on the d. we'll see how what's he's really got this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:45 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Isn't Beck Hartwell's backup at MLB, not Brookings on the outside? Just curious...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:35 pm 

Yes, currently Beck is being groomed behind Hartwell, and Demorrio Williams behind Brooking, but that can easily change. The Falcons linebacker position is currently sitting pretty, but there could be turmoil to come in the near future, possibly as soon as 2007.

Demorrio Williams is a RFA after this year. So he's still a trade candidate.

Brooking's contract continues to rise and the Falcons may soon reach the fork in the road that means either contract extension or cut. Despite Brooking's status with the football team, when a LB is well into his 30s, it almost always means the latter. Think Derrick Brooks in TB, who seemingly escaped the chopping block for 2 off-seasons, but may not escape a 3rd next year.

If Hartwell does not show that he is not the leader and force at MLB, it means the Falcons are going to have to look at other options, notably Beck or Brooking.

If you ask me, Beck and Brooking's skill sets are very similar. They move the same way on the football field. Also recall that when Beck was drafted, he was considered an OLB by most draft sites with a good future as a WLB. Go and read what some of the draft sites were saying about Beck, and pay particular attention to the first two analyses: http://www.falcfans.com/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=26

It sounds a lot like they are describing a young Keith Brooking. I think Beck may not have Boley or Williams's natural running speed (I don't think he plays as fast as he's timed from my limited exposure to Beck), but I think he does project fairly well to WLB, probably better than MLB because he's not a real force as a tackler in the same vein as Hartwell.

I'm not going to try and predict how the LB position is going to look for this team 2 or 3 years down the road. But because neither Brooking nor Williams look like sure fire locks to be with the team at that point, I would say Beck is just as much a candidate to replace Brooking on the outside.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 3:19 pm 

Pudge wrote:
It sounds a lot like they are describing a young Keith Brooking. I think Beck may not have Boley or Williams's natural running speed (I don't think he plays as fast as he's timed from my limited exposure to Beck), but I think he does project fairly well to WLB, probably better than MLB because he's not a real force as a tackler in the same vein as Hartwell.

I may be mistaken but the top thing I heard when we drafted Beck was how fast he was. He was considered an incredible athelete with amazing speed for a linebacker. I gotta think he's faster than Brooking and Boley. Maybe not Demorrio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 6:22 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I remember seeing his workout numbers, I will try and see if I can find a link...but for now you'll just have to take my word for it...

it was something close to a 4.45 40, 30 some odd reps, and close to a 40 inch vert. I wanna say he had a 40 inch vertical but I am not positive....like I said I will try and find the link and get it up here later on...

Post subject: Beck
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 6:48 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

LB is one of those odd positions that go stronger last season with the injuries to Beck and Hartwell. The experience gained by the guys behind them will make us stronger assuming Beck can come in and play the way he was expected to play last season.

Beck, Boley, Hartwell, Brooking, DeMo... OUCH!

MF1

J. Mora JR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:35 pm 

Beck I believe clocked a 4.46, but he just didn't seem that fast from what I saw last summer.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:46 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Well taht would have been his first training camp, so usually rooks are thinking to much to move full speed. Once they learn what they're doing is when they can let the athleticism take over.