It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Adam Jennings at CB?
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:56 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Just reading this blurb from the Foxsports Draft write up on Jennings and was wondering what you guys thought of the idea ...

" He came into the program as a cornerback and after seeing his special teams hitting and coverage ability, Jennings might have quicker success in the pros as a nickel back rather than a receiver.

Some teams compare him to Antwaan Randle El, but he does not have the natural hands and pass catching ability of the former Steeler. He looks more like Tim Dwight -- a player with good speed, but limited by size. Move this kid to defense and you might be able to get more production out of this pick. Leave him at receiver and he will be limited to reserve duty in multiple receiver formations."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:02 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

I don't believe we drafted him on his WR potential anyway. I think we drafted him because he is an excellent athlete, who can step into any type of role he is given. If he progresses as a WR/KR then he is being groomed to take over for Rossum, if he is used in the slot he could really cause some problems with his speed. Why not try himout at nickel??? That's what training camp is for!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:07 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

unless he's one hell of a return man I still doubt he makes the team...as a CB or a WR

we'll carry 5 wr's and probably 5 cbs

right now at wr we have White, Finn, and Jenks who already have roster spots, and Jennings, Youngblood, Manger, Pathon, Bergeron fighting for the last two spots. Bergeron I think will make the team. He's quick, tallish, and can return kicks. Pathon will probably make it to simple by virtue of being a vet, if not though then Jennings could take the 5th spot as long as Manger doesn't go nuts...

at CB we are crowed. Hall, Williams, Webster, Cash, Mathis...that's 5 right there, maybe if we moved Mathis to safety then we'd have a spot on D for Jennings...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:22 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Don't forget that Mathis is coming off a pretty severe injury. If he's lost speed, he's not a lock to make the roster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:25 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

So we're deep at DB all the sudden? The national consensus disagrees. Good for them because they don't know what we know.

everyone's picking the Panthers and the lol Giants to play for the SB,...well, most of them. I can see the Panthers, but the Giants? C'mon Pudge, educate as to why the Giants are a Super Bowl favorite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 7:16 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

when they made the jennings pick and i read what mckay had to say about him i got the feeling he secretly hopes this guy develops into a steve smith of our own. he kept talking about his return abilities and his toughness and his ability to make a big play, etc. kind of what steve smith exemplifies. he'll most likely be a special teams guy this year if he makes the team and then he'll be groomed for wr.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:52 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I saw that blurb on Jennings too. I think Jennings makes the team because he is already a polished guy on ST coverage, and we know how important that is to the Falcons coaching staff. I recall reading somewhere that either Mora or McKay on the subject of Jennings was talking about trying to get another WR that can play ST so that they didn't have to use any of the Top 3 receivers there. I see Jennings making the team as the 4th or 5th WR, the top KR return man, and suiting up almost every week to play special teams, probably as a gunner on punt returns.

As for the other WR spot, I think it comes down to BErgeron or Pathon. Pathon has the edge due to his experience, but frankly, he's going to have step up his abilities on ST if he wants to make this roster. Short of him playing at the highest level he's played in the past 2-3 years, he's not going to be higher than #4 on the depth chart. And as usually is the case, the 4th WR plays special teams and the 5th guy is inactive every week.

PB21 wrote:
I can see the Panthers, but the Giants? C'mon Pudge, educate as to why the Giants are a Super Bowl favorite.

PB, if you find out what these people are smoking, let me know so I can get some. Short of injuries crushing the rest of their division, the Giants would be lucky to make the playoffs. They have hands down the hardest schedule in a league, playing in a division that every team should be improved from a year ago, having to face off with the Bears, Panthers, Seahawks, Bucs, Falcons, Colts, and Jaguars. They would be lucky at this point to win 8 or 9 games this year with that schedule. I'm betting those are the same people that believe Eli Manning is going to be a phenom. But I hate to burst those peoples' bubbles, but Mr. Softee AKA Plaxico Burress is his #1 target and is physically incapable of following up a good season with another good one.

Profile E-mail