It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shawn Merriman tweets
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:15 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

On the way home from work tonight, I heard that Merriman is tweeting that he wants to become a Falcon.

What are you guys' thoughts on him coming to the team?

I personally agree with some of the responders that I heard on the radio that say if they do sign him to a minimum deal with incentives, we could then offer a decent deal to Seymour to complete the remodeling of the DL. It would definitely look more enticing to him if Merriman were here too. I think both parties would have to realize that they would be signing up for rotation roles and not necessarily starting jobs for sure. They can make a big impact without playing a ton of plays, and they will positively influence the young guys.

Not sure how realistic this is, but I think it would be a huge lift for the defense and put us squarely in the hunt for a championship more so than ever before.

Post subject: Re: Shawn Merriman tweets
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:52 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I would have been interested in Merriman 2 years ago, but not now. He hasn't done anything in the league for 5 seasons now. In the past 5 years (2008-12), he has played in 33 games, started 22 games, recorded 6 sacks, and 70 tackles.

In his past 32 games, Kroy Biermann has started 4 games, recorded 6.5 sacks, and 82 tackles. At best, you're signing another Biermann. But again, remember, it took Merriman 5 years to do what Kroy did in 2.

If the Falcons were seeking more help at DE, then Mark Anderson would be a much smarter signing. But even he would probably fall flat on his face (he's only had 2 good years in his 7-year career).

If the Falcons are going to try and upgrade their DL, I think they should be looking at players like Trent Cole or Brandon Graham in a mid-season trade with the Eagles. They have a bit more left in the tank than any player the Falcons could pick up off the street.

I don't think Seymour cares about Merriman either. He was clear earlier this month, that he has a price that he wants the team to meet. And he said if they don't meet it, he's willing to retire. Clearly players like John Abraham weren't willing to go that far, although he got a decent deal from Arizona (2 yrs./$6M, don't know the guarantees). Frankly, IMO Seymour isn't worth more than $2.5M/yr. If his price is higher than that, then the Falcosn should just move on and hope some good young DT gets cut at the end of the month.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:47 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Merriman's mind and wallet are willing, but the body gave out a few years back. If he wants to help the Falcons, he can sign with the Saints, Bucs or Panthers. :ninja:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:35 pm 

AngryJohnny51 wrote:
If he wants to help the Falcons, he can sign with the Saints, Bucs or Panthers. :ninja:

:lol: :clap:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:38 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

AngryJohnny51 wrote:
Merriman's mind and wallet are willing, but the body gave out a few years back. If he wants to help the Falcons, he can sign with the Saints, Bucs or Panthers. :ninja:

That's a contender for post of the year :up:

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail