It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan’s film review of Tennessee
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:07 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Posted: 10:00 a.m. Wednesday, Aug. 21, 2013
By D. Orlando Ledbetter

FLOWERY BRANCH – The Falcons are “game-planning” for Tennessee, but it’s based on just the film review of two exhibition games.

The Titans (0-2) have dropped games to Washington (22-21) and Cincinnati (27-19). The Falcons (0-2) will play the Titans at 8 p.m. Saturday at LP Field in Nashville, Tenn.

Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan shared some of his initial conclusions after his film review of the Titans.

“Both safeties are strong,” Ryan said. “(Michael) Griffin and (Bernard) Pollard are guys, they are different. Griffin is a high safety kind of guy, who has great range; covers the field really well. Pollard is box safety who can come down. He’s extremely physical and that jumps out off of the tape when you watch them.”

Jerry Gray is the Titans’ defensive coordinator. They hired Gregg Williams as a senior assistant/defense after he served his suspension for his role New Orleans’ notorious Bounty Gate scandal.

“When you watch them from a schematic stand point, they do things completely different from what we see every day in camp,” Ryan said. “So that will be a good change for us to go against a different scheme as we start to get ready for the regular season.”

Ryan, a noted film room rat, is using the week to slide into his regular-season routine.

“This is the first time that we watch film on the team before we go in and play them,” Ryan said. “I think that will help.”

The Falcons offensive line will get another stiff test.

Tennessee’s Derrick Morgan, the former Georgia Tech standout, is listed as the left defensive end and will present Falcons right tackle Lamar Holmes with a stiff challenge.

Holmes, right guard Garrett Reynolds and center Peter Konz are being heavily scrutinized this exhibition season. If the revamped line is not sturdy, Ryan won’t have time to unleash his many offensive weapons.

Against Baltimore, Ryan had to throw several passes early and took on too many hits.

“I think those guys are getting better,” Ryan said. “They really are. Garrett is a guy who’s played for us. He started 10 or 12 plus games for us. He’s a guy that continues to get better. Lamar is a guy that is coming into his own.”

With the season-ending injury to Mike Johnson, the Falcons appear to be content with grooming Holmes, a third-round pick in the 2012 draft who played just seven offensive snaps as a rookie because of a foot surgery.

Ryan believes Holmes is coming on strong.

“Young guys when they are forced to get into that role and to be out on the field more, some guys step up,” Ryan said. “I think he’s done a great job of that. He’s one of those guys that the more he plays, the better he gets. I’m excited about that.”

Post subject: Re: Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan’s film review of Tennessee
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:09 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

fun gus wrote:
“Young guys when they are forced to get into that role and to be out on the field more, some guys step up,” Ryan said. “I think he’s done a great job of that. He’s one of those guys that the more he plays, the better he gets. I’m excited about that.”

What he meant to say was, "the more he plays, the better he gets. He needs to play a hell of a lot in the next two weeks."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:02 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
Holmes, right guard Garrett Reynolds and center Peter Konz are being heavily scrutinized this exhibition season

I'm pretty sure everyone is praising Konz. These writers sure love being negative at any chance they get.

R.I.P 2013 season

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:12 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Emmitt wrote:
Quote:
Holmes, right guard Garrett Reynolds and center Peter Konz are being heavily scrutinized this exhibition season

I'm pretty sure everyone is praising Konz. These writers sure love being negative at any chance they get.

Scrutinizing isn't the same as criticizing ;)

He is right, we are all watching C, RG, and RT very closely (less C now after how King Konz has performed).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:59 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
Ryan, a noted film room rat, is using the week to slide into his regular-season routine.

Big contract and still putting in the work. Bodes well for Falcons fans.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:07 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Nuccah wrote:
Emmitt wrote:
Quote:

Scrutinizing isn't the same as criticizing ;)

He is right, we are all watching C, RG, and RT very closely (less C now after how King Konz has performed).

Konz was stone walling Ngata in the Ravens game he is going to be a beast for us this year. Speed rushers are going to give Lamar Holmes trouble this year.