PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:54 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

http://falcfans.com/why-mike-smith-shou ... -seat-9075

Why Mike Smith Should Not be on the Hot Seat
September 23rd, 2013Aaron FreemanLeave a commentGo to comments

Mike Smith
Ninety-seven percent.

That’s the chances that an NFL kicker makes a field goal inside 25 yards. It also represents the chances that an NFL team wins a game in which they are plus-4 on turnover margin.

And it is the chances that the Atlanta Falcons do not win the Super Bowl this season.

I have been seeing and hearing a lot in the past twelve or so hours since the Falcons’ 27-23 loss to the Miami Dolphins on how the Falcons need to get rid of Mike Smith. And while I doubt many of those people are calling for an immediate dismissal of Smitty, they are likely expecting the Falcons to make a move later if Atlanta does not win a Super Bowl this year.

I can understand that frustration because the Falcons have given you, one of their fans, quite a bit to be frustrated over. But firing Mike Smith simply because the Falcons haven’t gotten off to the fastest start or don’t appear to be a Super Bowl team in Week 3 is going a step too far.

Yes, the Falcons have struggled to finish games this year. They have outscored their trio of opponents 47-26 in the first half this year. Meanwhile, they are getting outscored 24-48 in the second half of games. The Falcons have found success early in games, outscoring opponents 31-0 in the first quarter of their three games this year. They have combined for 40 points in the other three quarters this year, but have allowed 74 points.

Let’s compare that to the Falcons after their 3-0 start a year ago. In the first quarter of their first three games of 2012, the Falcons outscored their opponents 26-3. But in the second quarter, they were able to outscore opposing teams 34-21. In the third quarter that score margin was 21-3, and 13-21 in the fourth quarter.

There are some clear conclusions here. Both the Falcons’ offense and defense are underperforming compared to last year’s results.

These aren’t indicators that the Falcons are poorly coached by Mike Smith. It’s just an indicator that this year’s team is not quite as good as the 2012 group was at the start of last season. There are obvious reasons for that, and it starts with injuries. With Roddy White out of the lineup, the Falcons are struggling to sustain drives. Just look at the Falcons ability to convert third downs by quarter over the first three games of 2012 and 2013:

Falcons 3rd Down Conversion Rate by Quarter
The Falcons third down conversion rate by quarter over the first three games of 2012 vs. 2013

3rd Down Conv. Pct. 3rd Down Conv. Pct.
1st quarter 5/11 45.5 7/10 70.0
2nd quarter 6/8 75.0 2/7 28.6
3rd quarter 6/9 66.7 1/9 11.1
4th quarter 1/8 12.5 5/9 55.6
Last season, the Falcons had 13 third down conversions over the final three quarters of their games. Roddy White accounted for four of those, with Tony Gonzalez getting a pair of them. That’s roughly half their production between the two of them.

Fast forward to 2013, and White has a pair of third down conversions in the final three quarters and Gonzalez has none. Obviously White’s issues are related to injuries. Gonzalez’s lack of production might have to do with his skipping much of training camp.

But it’s clear that the Falcons need to get Gonzalez more involved as he did not have a single reception after the Falcons’ opening drive against Miami. Gonzalez being targeted only once in the final 52 minutes of the Dolphins game is not because the Falcons are poorly coached. It is rather directly related to Matt Ryan’s decision making and whether or not Gonzalez is getting open.

The reason for the defensive drop-off in play is likely due to turnovers. In the first three games of last season, the Falcons forced 11 turnovers. Thus far this year, the Falcons have taken the ball away from their opponents four times. Those 11 turnovers turned into 37 points for the Falcons, while their 4 this year have generated 14 points for the Falcons. Sure, that’s about the same amount of points per turnover (roughly 3.5), but having seven less turnovers is basically taking 24 points off the scoreboard.

Is it poor coaching that is resulting in the Falcons not creating as many turnovers this year? Look, the Falcons played Matt Cassel and Philip Rivers in the first three weeks of the 2012 season, two of the most turnover-prone quarterbacks in the league last season. They also picked off Peyton Manning three times in the first quarter of their win over Denver, something that hadn’t happened since Manning’s rookie season in 1998. While the Falcons deserve full credit for making those plays against Manning, that is a fluke in the sense it’s a one-time thing that is very difficult to repeat.

The Falcons’ lack of turnovers this year may have nothing to do with coaching, but may just be a quirk of scheduling. In a couple of weeks, they have a three-game stretch where they face Geno Smith, Josh Freeman, and Carson Palmer. Could they easily create a dozen turnovers in those games? Absolutely. And it may have nothing to do with the Falcons being a better coached team then, but simply because they are seeing more favorable matchups.

All of these stats are just meant to show that there are legitimate reasons why the Falcons aren’t finishing games. People are too quick to go the “poor coaching” route when the results don’t match their expectations.

The Falcons aren’t off to their best start this year and they certainly have plenty of things that they need to work on. But very little of it has to do with the fact that Mike Smith is doing a bad job and they are a poorly-coached team. Much of it has to do with circumstances that are out of his control such as injuries and the unreliability of turnovers.

The other factor may simply be because the 2013 Falcons aren’t as good a team as they have been. Is that because Mike Smith is not a good coach or because every season is different? The 2011 Green Bay Packers were a better team than their 2010 counterpart, but did not win a Super Bowl in the latter year. The 2005 Pittsburgh Steelers weren’t as good a team as their previous year’s team, but they did manage to win a title. Look no further than the Baltimore Ravens of last year, who were not an improved team from 2011 to 2012.

It’s still September and there is a lot of season to be played. It’s much too early to determine the temperature of Smith’s seat. Perhaps in January you may still feel that Mike Smith deserves to lose his job. I’m certain I will disagree with you then as I do now. But holding that opinion with a full season to consider is certainly your prerogative as a free-thinking fan of the Atlanta Falcons. But as of today, I believe people need to pump their brakes as far as dismissing the coach fifth highest winning percentage in NFL history.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Why Mike Smith Should Not be on the Hot Seat
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:04 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

good read. Mike Smith aint on the field.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:09 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Most of my issues with Mike Smith are directly related to his responsibilities on game day. Clock management, challenges, not knowing when to go for it on 4th down, two point conversions, etc, and lulling the team to sleep during half time. I have a feeling that Smith is partly responsible for our offense being handcuffed during the game, but I have no evidence to back that up.

Very well written article Pudge.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:57 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I can agree that Smitty is not the greatest game day manager but what I don't understand is the dismissal or seeming dismissal of all he does before game day. Managing a team is like managing , say, a band. you may not like the song selection and the drummer's tempo may be off but a good band is built in the rehearsals. When the lights go up there a lot of variables that are practically uncorrectable and unpredictable. I do think Smitty learns from his mistakes and I hope that he is learning that he needs to coach more consistently aggressively though I think this does go against his natural impulse. He always seems to have the team ready to play aside from, perhaps, the TB game at the end of last year. They typically play smart, accountable football with good composure. Look before you leap.

Good to see you, CJN. Been a while, hasn't it?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:20 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

PUDGE WROTE:
Quote:

The other factor may simply be because the 2013 Falcons aren’t as good a team as they have been. Is that because Mike Smith is not a good coach or because every season is different?

Every season is different!! This team has just enough talent not to be terrible. If people really wanted someone to lose their job it should be Thomas D. I think that would be stupid too!!

Look their is no excuses for losing. However you must look back 5 years and see what your coach has achieved with what he had!!

Pudge wrote:
Quote:
But as of today, I believe people need to pump their brakes as far as dismissing the coach fifth highest winning percentage in NFL history.

So Atlanta Falcon fans want to fire the coach with the 5th highest winning percentage in NFL history. s*** we've gone 45 years without back-to-back winning seasons and now we've had them consistently. Many fans from other cities say Falcon fans are stupid...its really hard to argue with them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:34 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

You can't argue with them, Cyril. We had to be stupid in the first place to ever follow this horrible franchise and now that they are good everyone is supposed to all of a sudden get smart?

I really hate the let's-fire-this-person-and-thus-solve-this-problem-one-size-fits-all approach to stuff. You see it all the time in Washington. They've built a top flight organization so hopefully we won't cut off our nose to spite our face because it isn't tip top.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:40 am 
Superstar
Superstar

BnB Wrote
Quote:
We had to be stupid in the first place to ever follow this horrible franchise and now that they are good everyone is supposed to all of a sudden get smart?

Well I didn't know they were going to be terrible when I use to drive to Johnson City
45 years ago and watch Van Brocklin...... All you got to look at is our past to see how terrible we were after about 9 coaching changes.

So I figure most can see the Steelers are 0-3, the Giants are 0-3, and both those teams are much older than ours.... We're having an adjustment year; How Coach Smith is blamed for this is beyond me.

Why not go to the zoo and kill a Falcon??

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:04 am 
Superstar
Superstar

backnblack wrote:
You can't argue with them, Cyril. We had to be stupid in the first place to ever follow this horrible franchise and now that they are good everyone is supposed to all of a sudden get smart?

I really hate the let's-fire-this-person-and-thus-solve-this-problem-one-size-fits-all approach to stuff. You see it all the time in Washington. They've built a top flight organization so hopefully we won't cut off our nose to spite our face because it isn't tip top.

The only reason that I want to move on from Mike Smith is because Mike Smith isn't the best coach to ever coach the Falcons. He is a decent enough coach, but he's not going to win us a Superbowl.

Matt Ryan IS the best Quarterback that the Falcons have ever had, and he will probably be the best QB that we will ever have. As long as we have him, I'm willing to try just about anything to win a Superbowl. I believe that if we stick with Smith, Matt Ryan will be the 2nd best QB to ever play in the NFL and not have a super bowl ring.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:23 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

last season I said anything less then a playoff win, and Smitty would have to go.. I give him 2-3 seasons to get the ring. If not, then he simply has to go. But he made progress, so he is off the hot seat for me until next season, or the season after that if we make the playoffs next year...

here's a question: do you think Payton or Bellichek given the pieces we have and our coordinators, would do worse, better, or about the same as Smith? Think about it. :ninja:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:47 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Good read.

Smitty isn't close to the hot seat, nor should he be. Coaches, like quarterbacks are judged by wins and losses. I agree clock management is an issue, but Smitty has won us more games than he's cost us.

His players by all accounts respect him and in turn play hard for him. Gone are the days of Don Shula and Tom Landry where a coach can star for 25+ seasons. There will come a day when the players tune him out.....and until that day comes, Smitty is no where near a hot seat.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:35 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

fun gus wrote:
last season I said anything less then a playoff win, and Smitty would have to go.. I give him 2-3 seasons to get the ring. If not, then he simply has to go. But he made progress, so he is off the hot seat for me until next season, or the season after that if we make the playoffs next year...

here's a question: do you think Payton or Bellichek given the pieces we have and our coordinators, would do worse, better, or about the same as Smith? Think about it. :ninja:

Here's a question: Are either of those guys available?

I think your man love for Ryan might be a little overboard, Robt. There are a lot of mighty fine QBs who have never won rings and there is no need to compare stats such as completions, TDs thrown and the like because we are clearly in a different era in those regards. Who is first, BTW?

You know, when Elway lost all those SBs with Reeves he and the general crowd seemed to blame it on Reeves but I think that his teams just were not as good and, to my memory, the Broncos were a team that won a lot of games by razor thin margins and often because Elway made some kind of remarkable ad lib play. In the mid 90s he had the good fortune to have a better surrounding team and to face one of the true Cinderella teams to ever make the SB (Falcons) for his wins. Shanahan has not looked particularly brilliant without John. QBs make coaches much more than the other way around to me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:03 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

backnblack wrote:
Here's a question: Are either of those guys available?.

not yet. care to guess the reason why not? :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:59 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

fun gus wrote:
backnblack wrote:
Here's a question: Are either of those guys available?.

not yet. care to guess the reason why not? :wink:

Same reason Smitty isn't I would guess, and thank God your ilk don't pull levers in Flowery Branch! :lol:

It is always odd to me how everyone or, at least many, think there is an immediate addition by subtraction when someone isn't unilaterally successful. There is the rare case where it is true (Think baseball, Bobby Valentine) but before you go sending a successful coach out to pasture you have to think what are the viable options? Quite honestly, MS and TD were not our first choices when they came on board. Better lucky than good.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:11 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Sure--They both have owners who understand their value. Coach Smith is twice as good as any other Falcon head Coach.

Ryan always starts hot then cools off; is that Coach Smith's fault?? Most people start with Qb when figuring out what's wrong with the offense.

I won't do that to Ryan anymore than I'd do it to Smith. When Ryan's pressured he
isn't very good; same goes for Coach Smith and very average players.

PS. Payton and Bellichek have better Qbs. No they'd do about like Smith; unless they cut players earlier and come up with better ones. I wonder how Falcons fans would have reacted to Coach Smith getting suspended for a year and the team having a terrible year??

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:16 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cyril wrote:
Sure--They both have owners who understand their value. Coach Smith is twice as good as any other Falcon head Coach.

Ryan always starts hot then cools off; is that Coach Smith's fault?? Most people start with Qb when figuring out what's wrong with the offense.

I won't do that to Ryan anymore than I'd do it to Smith. When Ryan's pressured he
isn't very good; same goes for Coach Smith and very average players.

PS. Payton and Bellichek have better Qbs. No they'd do about like Smith; unless they cut players earlier and come up with better ones. I wonder how Falcons fans would have reacted to Coach Smith getting suspended for a year and the team having a terrible year??

We've already that experiment. It is called the Petrino Era.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:44 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

backnblack wrote:
fun gus wrote:

Here's a question: Are either of those guys available?

I think your man love for Ryan might be a little overboard, Robt. There are a lot of mighty fine QBs who have never won rings and there is no need to compare stats such as completions, TDs thrown and the like because we are clearly in a different era in those regards. Who is first, BTW?

You know, when Elway lost all those SBs with Reeves he and the general crowd seemed to blame it on Reeves but I think that his teams just were not as good and, to my memory, the Broncos were a team that won a lot of games by razor thin margins and often because Elway made some kind of remarkable ad lib play. In the mid 90s he had the good fortune to have a better surrounding team and to face one of the true Cinderella teams to ever make the SB (Falcons) for his wins. Shanahan has not looked particularly brilliant without John. QBs make coaches much more than the other way around to me.

There are better QBs than Ryan. I did not say otherwise. I said that Ryan is the best QB that the FALCONS have ever had, and probably ever will have. The only other QB of the Falcons who may be remotely close is Bartkowski, but when it's all said and done, he won't be able to hold a candle to Ryan.

It is fantastic that you bring up Elway and Reeves. Under Reeves, Elway could not win the big game. Under Shannahan, he did. I don't think that there's such a thing as a perfect coach. I believe some coaches work better with some players. Reeves and Elway were not good for each other. I don't think that Smith and Ryan are good for each other. Like Mularkey, Smith was good for Ryan early on, but Ryan is ready to take the next step. Smith is not.

I'll tell you what. I'm going to stop hammering on Smith. We all know that he's not going anywhere. You've heard what I have to say about it and I've heard what you have to say about it. If we manage to win a Superbowl under Mike Smith, you can all say, "You're an idiot Rob." I'll be happy to take the abuse.

One thing I would like to know... Do you guys think that Smith does his job well on game day?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:17 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I misunderstood what you were saying, Robert. I thought you meant Ryan would be the second best QB in NFL history who had not won a SB not just the second best QB on the Falcons. I actually think he is pretty clearly better than Bart but hard to compare eras. Jesus Christ himself would have had to do more than walk on water he had turned to wine to succeed in the Clampett Era.

I don't see the point in talking about stuff that you know isn't going to happen like MS getting shitcanned. It's like people saying Ryan would be better if he did more option read stuff like Vick or Kapernick.

As to Reeves and Elway, something obviously went wrong between the two of them. Reeves was known in his playing days as being a little over bearing and I imagine he was similar as a coach. Elway was known--esp early in his career--as being a conceited jackass. I could see how this would be toxic. Part of my point though was that I don't really know how good of a coach Shanahan is. The further he got away from JE the less like a genius he looked...sort of like Holmgren and Favre. One of my all time fave sportswriter quotes was the guy who said, "The further Homgren got from Favre the less he looked like a genius and the more he looked like a fat guy reading a menu." Now Shanahan has RG111 and all of a sudden he's a great coach again...or not?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:42 pm 

fun gus wrote:
here's a question: do you think Payton or Bellichek given the pieces we have and our coordinators, would do worse, better, or about the same as Smith? Think about it.

I think they would be better with Payton and Belichick. Payton and Belichick are better coaches, but as bnb was implying, what's the point? Many consider Belichick in the conversation for best head coach in NFL history. Payton is certainly probably the guy to beat as far as current offensive "gurus."

But while I think those two would do better, that doesn't mean I think either would have won titles with the Falcons over the past 5 years. And if that was the case, I think if either of them had been coaching a team that started the season 1-2, people would be calling for their heads just the same.

As for Elway, and argument could be made that he won Super Bowls thanks to an increased supporting cast (Terrell Davis is a big reason for that), as well just waiting out much of those 1980s QBs. The Broncos won in '97 and '98. These were the opposing QBs he faced in the '97 playoffs: Mark Brunell (4th yr pro at that point), Elvis Grbac, and Kordell Stewart. Then in '98, they beat a Dolphin team led by Marino that we had just shellacked 2 weeks before in the season finale, and then beat Vinny and the Jets in the title game. That '98 Broncos team was ridiculously good though, probably the best team I can recall seeing until the '07 Patriots.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:14 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Pudge wrote:
fun gus wrote:
here's a question: do you think Payton or Bellichek given the pieces we have and our coordinators, would do worse, better, or about the same as Smith? Think about it.

I think they would be better with Payton and Belichick. Payton and Belichick are better coaches, but as bnb was implying, what's the point? Many consider Belichick in the conversation for best head coach in NFL history. Payton is certainly probably the guy to beat as far as current offensive "gurus."

But while I think those two would do better, that doesn't mean I think either would have won titles with the Falcons over the past 5 years. And if that was the case, I think if either of them had been coaching a team that started the season 1-2, people would be calling for their heads just the same.

As for Elway, and argument could be made that he won Super Bowls thanks to an increased supporting cast (Terrell Davis is a big reason for that), as well just waiting out much of those 1980s QBs. The Broncos won in '97 and '98. These were the opposing QBs he faced in the '97 playoffs: Mark Brunell (4th yr pro at that point), Elvis Grbac, and Kordell Stewart. Then in '98, they beat a Dolphin team led by Marino that we had just shellacked 2 weeks before in the season finale, and then beat Vinny and the Jets in the title game. That '98 Broncos team was ridiculously good though, probably the best team I can recall seeing until the '07 Patriots.

Really? Better than the Rams teams? If so, what happened once #7 departed?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:38 pm 

Those Rams teams had better offenses, but that Bronco team just seemed better overall. Romanowski, Neil Smith, Atwater, Trevor Pryce, and John Mobley were really good.

And I would take Elway, TD, Shannon Sharpe, McCaffrey & Smith, and that BRoncos OL any day over Greatest Show on Turf crew. It's close, but if I was ranking best teams between 1998-2007, it would probably be:

1. 2007 Patriots
2. 1998 Broncos
3. 1999 Rams

2002 Raiders, 2004 Colts, 2000 Ravens, 2004 Eagles, 2003 Chiefs are also high on those lists.

Useless trivia, every one of those teams featured a former or future Falcon player.

1998 Broncos: G Chris Banks, K Jason Elam, CB Darrien Gordon
1999 Rams: S Devin Bush, DT Jeff Zgonina
2000 Ravens: QB Chris Redman
2002 Raiders: DT Rod Coleman, OT Lincoln Kennedy, WR Alvis Whitted
2003 Chiefs: K Morten Andersen, TE Tony Gonzalez
2004 Eagles: K David Akers, LB Ike Reese, LB Mark Simoneau
2004 Colts: K Matt Bryant, TE Ben Hartsock, TE Marcus Pollard
2007 Patriots: CB Asante Samuel, S James Sanders

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:55 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I agree with everything you said. I would add it is not only who you play, but when you play them.

While I have said that I am not sure if Smith will ever win the SB, I don't think he should be canned. Should Cox have been canned for only winning one WS? I would rather go to the playoffs almost every year and have the chance than be sub 500 four out of five with the fifth going to the SB. To me, it is more fun to follow the Falcons now than in the Reeves era.

Do I think Smith is the best coach in the league? No, but I think he is probably 5 to 10. Interestingly, that is where I put Ryan. It used to be said that Don Shula could switch teams and beat you with your own players. I think Smith could walk into Tampa or Carolina and do the same.

One thing I think everyone is conveniently forgetting is this team isn't that talented on defense. It is ok, but not great. I can look at Tampa or Carolina and I would rather have most of their players on defense compared to Atlantas. Unfortuantely, ATL was stuck because they had to pay Ryan. It is what it is and will mean that there will be a bigger premium placed on the draft.

Lastly, holy crap is there a lot of hate on ATL talk radio regarding the team and Smith. I wonder how much of this negativity feeds on itself. It is only the beginning of the season. Lets see where the team is at when the real season begins in Nov.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:58 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Here's how I see the NFL. It generally takes one of two things to win a Superbowl; a great defense, or a great quarterback. In both of these cases, you need a coach who is suited to managing the team based on the strength of the team. If you have a great QB, you need a coach who will make the most of that QB. If you have a great defense, your offense needs to compliment that offense by protecting the ball and eating clock.

Regarding the Falcons, we have a great QB. Whether you believe that he's elite or not doesn't really matter, I think it's plain to see that he's a great QB. As such, our goal should be to put points on the board. We should not use the offense to protect the defense. In that case, you are scheming away from what your talent is capable of.

Now, here's where I REALLY get angry with the entire front office... We have a great QB. We have great weapons for our great QB. We have done little to give them an offensive line to take advantage of all of that skill. If I'm Mike Smith and I look at this team, my first priority is to build an offensive line to protect my QB, so that my great QB will have plenty of time to throw the ball, and so that if we need to run the ball, we can do so with whoever is back there. (Steven Jackson was completely unnecessary, and he does NOTHING to fix the offensive line) If you tell me that Mike Smith doesn't have a say in personnel, and that he really wanted to get some offensive linemen in here, then I say fire Thomas Dimitroff. SOMEONE is not doing their job properly. Someone should be fired.

I digress...

Mike Smith is a defensive coach. That's his calling, that's his style. His offenses play to eat clock and protect the defense. In my opinion, that needs to change. The offense is this team's identity, but the offense is being used to protect the defense. Enough of that. Let Matt Ryan run the offense however he sees fit, and without consideration for the defense. That's how Tony Dungy (a defensive coach who couldn't get it done with a fantastic defense in Tampa) won a Superbowl with Peyton Manning.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:04 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

ATL has a horrible fan base and it holds true for the Braves as well. We've discussed it many times over the years. the Braves fans are 10 times as loyal as the Falcons and they are pretty lukewarm but over the years the braves have been a much classier org and the players have been a little more respectable which may play in to it. Talk radio and all that is just kind of depressing with all the noisy empty wagons but that holds true everywhere. People wonder why athletes are so wary of fans.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:35 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Robert Wrote
Quote:
SOMEONE is not doing their job properly. Someone should be fired.

I just don't see how you come unglued so easily. Last year while we were winning these last minute games; that wasn't good enough either.

Mike Smith has been a head coach 6 years so just because he comes from being a
defensive coach; I think he's into the offense as well. You didn't like the Julio trade either; that was giving Ryan more. If the offensive line could keep playing like they did Sunday Ryan should not have any beefs and the future look bright!!

Look If Ryan is being held back right now its only based on the first two games' and they didn't want Ryan killed again...Up to now the defense has outplayed the offense with of course much less of cap money.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:51 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Robert ASKED
Quote:

One thing I would like to know... Do you guys think that Smith does his job well on game day?

i THINK his getting the team ready to play is as good as any Coach in the league.

The team has a major part of making a coach look good or bad on game day; but I
do think that's his weakest area. Not with timeouts ect; but I'd like to see us go for it more in the red zone.

Biggest problem with that for me is when he gets 3 points instead of going for a T.d.
WE OFTEN WIN BY 3. i don't like it when he announces we're going to stick with the running game because he often sticks with it too long.

To answer your question directly I think he does an average job on game day. That's his worst area and keeping the team together is his best. There are lots of NFL teams that take leads and consistently let teams come back; and many who give up leads and then come back. In those cases a win usually goes to the team that doesn't do something stupid.

I thought Harry Douglas was stupid picking up the football on the punt because he'd already looked up and seen the defense had done a good job covering. He called of his blockers; and should have just gone straight to the sidelines if he felt the need to touch it!!