It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Josh Gordon
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:34 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

While Cleveland is denying it, it seems that for the right price he could be had. With Roddy not 100% and Tony maybe losing yet another step should we make the call? Having him next to Julio for years to come would be an awesome combo.

Post subject: Re: Josh Gordon
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:44 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Make it so.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:04 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Amari Cooper.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:39 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
Amari Cooper.

Are you comparing them or are you saying they are similar players. If the asking price is to high I wouldn’t mind them swinging a deal for Greg Little. Little reminds me of how Roddy was when he was a young, obviously full of talent but very inconsistent. Maybe a change of scenery and a veteran presence similar to how Joe Horn took Roddy under his wing and showed him how to be a pro.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:08 pm 

I was saying Cooper, because if we're looking ofr Roddy replacements, that's the guy I want. Unfortunately he won't be available until the 2015 draft.

I like both Gordon & Little, but I don't love either. Maybe for a 3rd, I'd trade for Gordon. A 4th or 5th for LIttle. but more than that? No.

I don't think you have to try that hard to get a good WR. Frankly, Little and Gordon prove that both being 2nd round picks (Gordon in the supplemental draft). Quinton Patton, Chris Givens, Cecil Shorts, Mike Williams, Jacoby Ford have been 4th round picks in the past 4 drafts. Kenny Stills, Denarius Moore have been 5th round picks, and Aldrick Robinson, Antonio Brown, and Kyle Williams have been 6th round picks.

If the Falcons would just stop picking up players like career backups Kerry Meier, Charles Mitchell, and Bradie Ewing in those rounds then we wouldn't have any of those issues. :beef:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:25 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
I was saying Cooper, because if we're looking ofr Roddy replacements, that's the guy I want. Unfortunately he won't be available until the 2015 draft.

I like both Gordon & Little, but I don't love either. Maybe for a 3rd, I'd trade for Gordon. A 4th or 5th for LIttle. but more than that? No.

I don't think you have to try that hard to get a good WR. Frankly, Little and Gordon prove that both being 2nd round picks (Gordon in the supplemental draft). Quinton Patton, Chris Givens, Cecil Shorts, Mike Williams, Jacoby Ford have been 4th round picks in the past 4 drafts. Kenny Stills, Denarius Moore have been 5th round picks, and Aldrick Robinson, Antonio Brown, and Kyle Williams have been 6th round picks.

If the Falcons would just stop picking up players like career backups Kerry Meier, Charles Mitchell, and Bradie Ewing in those rounds then we wouldn't have any of those issues. :beef:

Would we have a legitimate shot at Cooper without having to move up in the draft? I wouldn’t give up anymore than a 5th round pick for Little, but if Gordon is going to be a replacement for Roddy I wouldn’t even sweat parting with a 3rd rounder. I have always had a problem with TD’s middle round picks, awful may be a little strong but I fill we would have hit on more 4-6 round picks if the Falcons opened the war room up to social media and took a poll on twitter (so in a roundabout way I guess I am saying the picks have been awful).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:08 pm 

The Mattural wrote:
Would we have a legitimate shot at Cooper without having to move up in the draft?
I wouldn't bet on it but you never know. Cooper looks like a sure-fire Top 15 pick. Keenan Allen and Alshon Jeffery are prime examples of recent WRs that going into their final years were looking like Top 15-20 picks and fell into the 2nd round for various reasons.

Obviously Cooper draws the Julio comparisons.

I think the problem with TD's mid/late round drafting is his very strict needs-based strategy. It results in him hitting for singles. Which is fine, but it also appears that all he's aiming for is singles. This is the argument that has been made time and time again with this team, that sort of mentality is good for filling holes, but it doesn't really make you into a top-level team. Top-level teams excel in certain areas, and ideally in multiple areas. The Falcons excel at one thing, throwing the football, and the truth is that they probably could get 10-15% better just by improving their personnel at WR and TE over the years. But because they are complacent content with Harry Douglas as the No. 3, and only view the No. 4 WR as a special teams player rather than an offensive weapon (thanks in large part to Tony G's presence in the lineup), they have not sought to really upgrade their WR, hoping that one of many of these UDFAs might turn into something. Not to mention the sheer complacency contentment they had with Michael Palmer as their No. 2 TE for 3 years rather than trying to put a 2nd TE on the field to try and add more potency to their offensive attack, and groom someone to be the heir apparent.

But it is what it is.

Profile E-mail