Post subject: you have got to be kidding me
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:39 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/97558 ... nditioning

By Vaughn McClure | ESPN.com

Email
Print

Atlanta Falcons second-year offensive tackle Lamar Holmes has come to grips with one of his shortcomings -- his conditioning.

The 6-foot-6, 333-pound Holmes admitted Tuesday that he's not in "the best of shape" to play a full game.

"I need to get in a little bit better shape," Holmes told ESPN.com. "Day after day, I'm progressively getting better."

Holmes maintained his conditioning issues have nothing to do with being overweight. He believes they are more a product of getting accustomed to playing significant snaps after seeing action in just one game as a rookie.

Through the first three games this season, Holmes had played all 191 snaps.

"Sometimes, I just get a little winded," he said. "I use so much energy at times, I just need the wind. ... I have never played like this before. This is really my first action. You're really seeing how much energy you're actually using out there on the field.

"I know I need to pick it up and get in better shape so I can play hard all four quarters."

Holmes said he has taken a proactive approach by getting on the treadmill daily, when not in meetings or at practice.

"I just have to do different things to help build up my endurance," he said. "Any free time I get, I might even just go for a little jog to build up endurance. The first game [Sept. 8 at New Orleans], I realized I wasn't in the best of shape that I needed to be in."
Holmes, a third-round draft pick in 2012 from Southern Mississippi, began the season as the starting right tackle in place of Mike Johnson, who suffered a season-ending broken leg/dislocated ankle. Holmes was moved to left tackle for Week 3, with starter Sam Baker sidelined by knee and foot injuries. Jeremy Trueblood filled Holmes' spot at right tackle.

Holmes started on the bench Sunday night against the New England Patriots, as Baker returned to the lineup and the coaches opted to stick with Trueblood at right tackle. He found himself back at left tackle after Baker suffered a knee injury in the second quarter. Holmes ended up playing 54 of the 76 snaps and performed admirably, outside of a fourth-quarter sack allowed in the red zone.

Baker's status remains in limbo, meaning Holmes will have to be prepared to start against the New York Jets on Monday night.

Post subject: Re: you have got to be kidding me
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:27 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

this ain't motherf*cking Fresno State, Pat!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:42 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I did notice that his play did decline over the course of his previous games. He was much more effective in the 1st half vs. St. Louis and Miami than he was in the 2nd half. The thought about conditioning had crossed my mind, but I figured that didn't really hold water because it's not like Holmes missed OTAs and training camp. He sweated it out just like the rest of the guys in the hot Georgia sun, so why would his conditioning be poor compared to the others?

Maybe if he lost 10 pounds, that would help his conditioning. Maybe thats something our new and supposedly improved strength and conditioning coach can work over the next 11 months. :roll:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:22 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I wonder if this is going to be an ongoing problem with him, or if it was simply a mental lapse/lapse in judgement.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:43 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

RobertAP wrote:
I wonder if this is going to be an ongoing problem with him, or if it was simply a mental lapse/lapse in judgement.

I am confused as to what you mean here. Do you mean the 'problem' is him saying stupid sh*t? Like 'Matt is getting rid of the ball fast, I am not in condition to play 60 minutes in the NFL'? That kind of stuff? Someone should tell him to keep his trap shut. That person should be Matt Ryan and Mike Smith, IMO.

Honestly, I put this at the feet of Pat Hill. If this guy isn't in shape, it's Pat's fault. You had plenty of time to run that a$$ in preseason and get him ready. :snooty: :whistle:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:25 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I'm talking about not being in shape for football. Is Holmes going to have an issue with staying in shape in the future? That's what I'm wondering.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:33 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

RobertAP wrote:
I'm talking about not being in shape for football. Is Holmes going to have an issue with staying in shape in the future? That's what I'm wondering.

Some players, good players, struggle with their weight. I like the fact that he admits it's a problem and he's going to do (or try to do) something about it. Wasn't this the knock on him in college too???

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:27 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

AngryJohnny51 wrote:
RobertAP wrote:

Some players, good players, struggle with their weight. I like the fact that he admits it's a problem and he's going to do (or try to do) something about it. Wasn't this the knock on him in college too???

I agree with you for the most part, but there have been wide loads a plenty in the NFL that could play for 60 minutes. There are plenty of guys right now who are 10-20 pounds overweight who can last a whole game. IMO, it's not ;extra pounds;, it conditioning. BUt it's more serious that Pat Hill had to wait for the first game to figure this out. Trueblood has played better at RT then Holmes, and Holmes has been as good if not better at LT then Baker. We saw alot of this in preseason. Yet Pat Hill is still figuring this out on the fly. It's a head scratcher...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:01 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

The fact that he knew he had a chance to battle for the RT position and came in out of shape lets me know all I need to know about Holmes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:28 pm 

The Mattural wrote:
The fact that he knew he had a chance to battle for the RT position and came in out of shape lets me know all I need to know about Holmes.

Once Clabo was out the door Holmes knew there would be no pre-season battle. The position was his and he knew it.

The first real "battle" to start a RT was the signing of Trueblood and Holmes lost that one in no time flat.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:47 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

No I got to blame Smith!! Coach Smith can see who is laboring worst on the field
in preseason and have them run extra winds sprints; he did play him in the last preseason game; but this is inexcusable!!

Rookies or even second year players don't know what the "emotion" of the game takes out of you..... Ok so he's stupid. He and the Falcon organization are paying for it now.

Look I just put this on the coach. Some players need more water in the heat; some Ivs at halftime. This just gives me more hope for Holmes; and probably embarrasses the hell out of Smith. I've seen it happen on a high school level but then they didn't even give us water!!

I'm sure its a lack of strength too; those tackles maul around a lot. He needs a playing weight and to be weighed every day!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:33 pm 
Starter
Starter

The Mattural wrote:

Yep. The guy has an amazing opportunity to come in and compete and later become a starting NFL player. If that doesn't get you fired up, then find something else to do. Self motivation is a big factor in determining success and it sounds like he doesn't have much.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:51 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

dirtybirdnw wrote:
The Mattural wrote:

Once Clabo was out the door Holmes knew there would be no pre-season battle. The position was his and he knew it.

The first real "battle" to start a RT was the signing of Trueblood and Holmes lost that one in no time flat.

Well Mike Johnson was ahead of him and the only one who stood in his way of starting, he should have been in the best shape of his life when he came into camp when he knew that opportunity was available to him.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:53 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

ShooterMcGavin wrote:
The Mattural wrote:

Yep. The guy has an amazing opportunity to come in and compete and later become a starting NFL player. If that doesn't get you fired up, then find something else to do. Self motivation is a big factor in determining success and it sounds like he doesn't have much.

Bingo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:04 am 

Wait, why are we blaming the head coach and the OL coach? There is a coach, whose entire job revolves around conditioning. He's called the strength and conditioning coach. His name is A.J. Neibel, and while he was an assistant here for 2 years under Jeff Fish, and also was with Fish in Oakland before he came to Atlanta, the "circumstances" of his first year on the job haven't been promising.

As for Holmes, it said a lot when Mike Johnson opened the off-season ahead of him, and until he got hurt appeared to be running away with the job. But like I said when we drafted Holmes, he was going to be a long-term project for the Falcons. Thus why we reached on him in the 3rd round. He's the classic type of OT that is taken in the 5th round and thus doesn't have unreal expectations placed on him that come with being a 3rd rounder, which typically are that you should be entrenched as a starter by the end of your 2nd season.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:58 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
Wait, why are we blaming the head coach and the OL coach? There is a coach, whose entire job revolves around conditioning. He's called the strength and conditioning coach. His name is A.J. Neibel,

At this point I figured he was gone. Yes Neibel is directly responsible........

The head coach must be responsible for the starters being in playing shape. Sure, its someone else's job; but its something the head coach must be accountable for too;
crap its obvious in that picture. He shouldn't be carrying 330 unless he's out of shape. Coach Smith should see it every day.

Well admitting your problem is the first step in recovery, if you aren't killed first!!

I'm glad he finally sees he has a problem. I also hope he's suffered on the field; suffering in practice you can handle, suffering in public is just gross when your paid well for it!!