It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Wish you were here
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:11 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

It was a soft-tissue calf injury, from what I've heard. Probably because someone stepped or kicked him in the leg.

And yet Matt Ryan wasn't on the injury report this week. So now you're getting into the territory that Ryan was in fact injured, but Mike Smith is once again breaking NFL rules by manipulating his injury report and masking his injury, oooooooorrrrrrrr Occam's Razor, and his injury wasn't really serious.

Yes, he got sacked 4 times and hit 11 times vs. Arizona. But he dropped back 65 times. In a "normal" game, that resorts to about 2 sacks and 6 hits. Yes, I realize that the 7 "extra" hits doesn't help things. But it skews people into thinking that the Falcons aren't protecting Ryan. They are. Trust me, if you go back and watch the tape of the Cardinals game, you won't see that many breakdowns in pass protection. Frankly, the hits he took in NE were a reflection of him dropping back 56 times.

And if the Falcons can get a bit more balance in their offense, and not be stuck playing from behind so much, then the concerns about the punishment that Ryan is taking is overblown. Doesn't mean that he won't still get hurt because again, injuries are random and can happen even if he's playing behind the best OL in the league.

Now those "problem solvers" are easier said than done, but the Falcons are more than capable of doing it, if they are more aggressive early in games.

http://falcfans.com/all-22-breakdown-fa ... trike-9317

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:21 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
Doesn't mean that he won't still get hurt because again, injuries are random and can happen even if he's playing behind the best OL in the league.

this is like sleeping with a chick without a condom, then when she gets knocked up, you say 'well, it was random, and even if you used a condom, she still could have gotten pregnant because condoms fail 2% of the time to prevent unwanted pregnancies. '

correlation/causation. Matt Ryan is more likely to get injured behind this OL rather then say, the Saints or Pats Oline. It's logical. But dont worry, when Ryan gets injured, it was just 'random'. I hear the excuse train pulling into the station!

All aboard!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:23 pm 

I see what you're saying in principal. But it's not the same. Because the difference between just plowing a girl and leaving it up to the Fertilization Gods and using birth control are HUGE.

The difference between your chances of getting injured between playing with the best OL and the worst OL is SMALL.

As I said, the chances of any QB getting hurt is like less than 3%. Just going to town on a girl and the chance you knock her up is like 80%. The drop off from playing behind the best OL only really drops it to <1%, while using almost any forms of contraception is going to drop your chances of getting your female partner pregnant to under 30%. Just trying to not get a girl pregnant, alone just pretty much halves your chances of her getting pregnant.

According to Pro Football Focus, Peyton Manning has seen the least amount of pressure this year, thus is the best protected QB in the NFL. Yet, 1 hit still hurt him:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... ned-ankles

Again, the random part is which hit will do it. A QB might get hit 110 times and not get injured, but then on the 111th hit he goes down (see Ryan last year). Or a QB could get injured on his 3rd hit of the year (see Tony Romo this year). In the case of Manning, he's seen half the pressure that Ryan has seen this year according to PFF (67 vs. 112), yet Manning got hurt thanks to one of those pressures/hits, while Ryan has not.

You're right, the less he gets hit, the less chance he gets injured because he's exposed to less hits. I don't really see the pregnancy analogy applying here. Considering we've evolved to where our bodies try to maximize the chances you get pregnant, and we haven't evolved such that in football with QB hits. IN fact, the rules have done the opposite to significantly lower the chances of a QB getting hurt.

As I've said before, there were about 20 injury-making hits on QBs last year in 256 games. You should be able to sleep comfortably knowing that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:50 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Like any of you guys have been laid since the league went pass heavy....

Injury or no I think we can all agree that our unbalanced attack is not "healthy." The only runs that seem to work at all are draws and delays and I don't see MR going to read/option. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:59 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Fun Gus... just read this. ;)

Pudge wrote:
You're right, the less he gets hit, the less chance he gets injured because he's exposed to less hits. I don't really see the pregnancy analogy applying here. Considering we've evolved to where our bodies try to maximize the chances you get pregnant, and we haven't evolved such that in football with QB hits. IN fact, the rules have done the opposite to significantly lower the chances of a QB getting hurt.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:59 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

It is funny how no one said anything about Clabo. :shock:

I think the Falcons would have been much better this year on the back end with BG. Even if the Falcons had taken the two kids, they still would have been set up for another two years after dumping Samuel after this season.

Was there a rift to keep him from signing? Probably, but if I have learned anything from Andrew Brandt is that it is always about the money. If they would have offered something like a 3 year 15 million dollar deal with a 10 mill signing bonus, then he probably would have jumped all over it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:04 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

What the Falcons need, and have needed since Harvey Dahl left, is a right guard. Harvey Dahl wasn't all world, but he was a legitimate NFL guard. The guys that we have been putting in that spot for the past several years ARE NOT GUARDS.

There should be three very good right guard candidates in the 2014 draft, and I expect at least one of them to drop to where we will be picking in the 2nd round. As far as I'm concerned, we can use our first pick on BPA. Our 2nd round pick should be used on a guard. (assuming at least one of them drops to us)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:55 pm 

RobertAP wrote:
There should be three very good right guard candidates in the 2014 draft, and I expect at least one of them to drop to where we will be picking in the 2nd round. As far as I'm concerned, we can use our first pick on BPA. Our 2nd round pick should be used on a guard. (assuming at least one of them drops to us)

It's November. This notion of "dropping" means nothing now.

Profile E-mail