It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Falcon moves that need to be made how effects draft
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:29 pm 

There are still some good players left in free agency that the Falcons would't have to break the bank. Who would you go after with the budget left (I believe over 9 million).How does it effect the draft in terms of who or what round you would target the position.

If I were TD I would target Shaun Phillips as OLB. Anthony Spencer is available but probably would cost to much. Phillips had 10 sacks last year and while not a spring chicken could be a stop gap to groom a youngster. How it effects the draft is unless Mack becomes available it would lessen the pressure for a drafted player. It also allows the Falcons to use their 2nd rounder for a tight end or more importantly a safety. It's possible a top tier safety (Pryor) is available late 1st round. Trade up to get him would be an option.

Another move I would make is to find a 3rd option with speed at receiver. Right now if Julio goes down due to injury there is no other option. Do you want a rookie (probably a mid round pick) to be counted on to produce? Jason Avant or maybe a Devon Hester have enough left to be a stop gap. Sign a vet and then draft a rookie with speed and develop him.

I think with the moves above by TD would certainly give the Falcon's more options rather than doing nothing more or letting the players above sign with other teams.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Falcon moves that need to be made how effects draft
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:02 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

It would make sense to bring in another 3-4 OLB like Phillips or Spencer to be that veteran pass-rusher rather than Osi if the Falcons were going to truly be a 3-4, but as others have stated I think the Falcons will still be very "hybrid" in their looks so the idea that they need a guy that is comfortable and used to standing up isn't that big a deal.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:09 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I think the best WR we could sign at the moment would be Sidney Rice. We should be able to pick him up pretty cheap with a 1 or 2 year contract. If he and Ryan can find some chemistry, he would be a great 3rd option, perhaps even supplanting Roddy White in the coming years, allowing Roddy to finish up his career in the slot.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:55 pm 

I'd would love Atlanta to go out and get Rice to play opposite Julio Jones. My only hesitation is now what will likely be your top two deep targets are both injury prone. A little scary and would required an extra long/fast receiver in the depth charts.

I think moving to Roddy White at this point in his career is the best rout to go since he can get those tough short to mid range passes. He excels in that range more so than as a deep threat anyways.

I'm a little surprised that Atlanta has released Osi yet. He wasn't an impact last year and now we are shifting towards a defense in which he doesn't fit. Odd.