It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:06 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Moss wanted Falcons
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:35 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Check this read from Foxsports.com

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5766634?FSO1&ATT=HMA

Looks like Blank is calling more of the shots than even we think. He DEMANDED P.Price (Bust), refused to trade Schaub (?), and then turned away one of the top 3 WRs in the league. Now I know we are building a 'team' here in Atlanta, and that we have a 'falcons filter', but come on! If Vick had Moss then we wouldn't have to see his stupid passes get dropped or picked off because Moss could actually pull them down. Now I have great hope that R. White will also be able to do just that, but we all KNOW that Moss can do it, and that he has the speed to catch Vick's deep balls. With Moss AND Vick on the same side of the ball what would a defense do? Grrrrrrr, I just hope Blank brings us a title because as it stands he is starting to look like a real bonehead owner.

MF1

J. Mora JR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:51 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

there are so many other reasons besides the Falcon's Filter that went into us no chasing Moss....injuries, money....they played a part too...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:16 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I wouldn't quite call it Blank calling the shots, but I do think on occasion he makes his opinion known on issues, and we can assume that there is little argument about it.

MF1, I think those situations you outlined may have been the only "shots" Blank has called over the last two or so years.

His not wanting Moss is not surprising. Moss is clearly a lightning rod for negative publicity and coverage, much the same way that Terrell Owens is, whether deserved or not. You can recall, the media (and not all, but a significant portion) was only on T.O.'s side in the month following the Eagles Super Bowl appearance in 2004. That was short lived, although I wouldn't quite blame the media for that situation souring but I would blame them for escalating the situation.

If in a post game situation, Moss was frustrated. Everyone and their momma would know the media would inflame it to be another McNabb-T.O. sitch with him and Vick. That's a headache that Blank didn't want to avoid.

Moss may be a distraction in his own regard, but the media definitely enhances the level of distracting he does.

At the time when Moss was being traded, I wanted the Falcons to go after him. I thought the short-term benefits outweighed the long-term complications. In retrospect, I'm not disappointed the Falcons passed on him.

Steve-O I agree. If Moss cost half of what he did, I think it would have been much harder for the Falcons to say "no" right off the bat the way Blank did. Money plays a much more important factor on a league-wide scale when evaluating character. It's why character is such a big deal when it comes to 1st round players, because they are getting paid so much more. But a team doesn't have a problem taking someone with questionable character/work ethic in Round 4 or 5 do they?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:26 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

It call comes down to what makes dollars and sense

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:56 am 

I would have been fine with bringing Moss to Atlanta. I think we wouldn't have had the second season collapse with the opportunities that Moss affords us. Last year Moss was really rather quiet and well behaved. I wonder if he would have been the same here in Atlanta. I do have to say that the Raider version of Moss is a bit more mellow than the Viking version.

Of course at the end of the day Moss & Vick would have had similar contracts and we could have never afforded that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:22 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

the Raider version was hurt all of last season too and didn't put up any stats...thus he didn't have any ground to stand on to be an ass...

let him start snagging 85-90 balls a year again and he'll pop off at the mouth some more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:56 am 

Based off what's in this PFT article, it would confirm some of our suspicions that money played a sizable factor in Moss not coming to Atlanta if the Falcons front office had suspicion of some of these cap figures. But based off this article, the Falcons may have another shot to get Moss after this season. Because from everything I've heard Randy say over the past few months makes me believe that he doesn't like Oakland very much, and short of Randy making the Pro Bowl and/or the Raiders making the playoffs this year, I don't see that changing.

Pro Football Talk wrote:
MOSS CAP NUMBERS PUSH HIGHER FOR '07, '08

A reader recently alerted us to the fact that Raiders receiver Randy Moss has restructured his contract, again. We tracked down the details, and here's what we learned.

Unlike 2005, in which through two separate restructurings Moss received a guaranteed payment of $7.085 million in lieu of that amount in base salary and thus pushed his 2006-08 cap numbers much higher, this time around Moss got only $750,000 in guaranteed pay, increasing his cap number by another $250,000 in 2007 and 2008, respectively.

The end result? A cap number of $12.02 million for 2007, and a cap number of $13.52 million for 2008.

That's more than 10 percent of the total cap for those years tied up in a non-quarterback, and it increases the likelihood that the team will make a decision whether to try to extend his contract -- or part ways with Moss -- after the 2006 season.

Moss, in turn, will need to make a decision as to whether he wants to stay, since he could force the issue by refusing to do a new deal.

The fact that Moss agreed to a restructuring in 2006 shows that he's still willing to help the team manage its cap, which in turn suggests that he's interested in sticking around. What isn't known, however, is whether the team wanted to clear more than $500,000 in current cap room by guaranteeing even more of his base salary, which was $8.25 million before the most recent re-do.

Profile E-mail